02/08/13 06:11 PM
Romeo MI
MR_P_BODY Offline
Master
MR_P_BODY  Offline
Master

Romeo MI
Quote:

The hv pump we have only put's out a maxium of 55 psi cold and 25-30 psi hot . That's the most it's ever put out no matter what oil weight we try. So I guess it's either change relief valve or spring and get the correct pressure or get a standard oil pump and opening it up like some people do. The oil pan we have is really not worth the effort and time to fix so I am either going to get a 8qt moroso or the milodon 9qt ss pan. So what ever oil pump would be better to use in either application is what I need to use. Anyone reccomend getting a stock oil volume oil pump and open it up and get the right spring for oil pressure? Any power to be had or just a waste of time?

With the pump you have now it looks like the by pass
spring is a bit on the weak side... most open at about
65-70 psi.... I always blend in the bores in the pump
just to help with the flow(make sure you clean it out
real good and that means taking the by pass out to
make sure its all clean)... a standard pump will take
a LITTLE less power to spin... would you see a difference..
nope

Re: Is a 7 qt oil pan enough for a hv oil pump? [Re: BSB67] #1382795
02/08/13 06:42 PM
02/08/13 06:42 PM
nc
E
emarine01 Offline
master
emarine01  Offline
master
E

nc
Quote:

Quote:

HV oil pumps tend to make better pressure @ low RPM with hot oil, the rotor of a HV pump is larger,

Correct

Quote:

Hi volume pumps also remove heat faster than a standard pump at the cost of consuming more HP to drive them. On a tight new engine a standard pump works fine, On a loose engine or a larger engine the Hi volume works best, providing the pan has the capasity for the flow.

Incorrect, except maybe at lower rpm and pressure when it does not matter. Once your into the relief spring, there is no more oil passing along key engine components. And in fact, the Hv pump is actually putting more heat into the oil when it is beating it around in a circle.

There is more to pressure VS volume than meets the eye, as far as at lower rpm and not mattering...the high volume pump has the best performance advantage at low RPM after a high load pass wile idling back to the pits it will remove heat at a much faster rate... thats where it really counts, reducing heat fatigue and heat stress, two important things that lead to part failure and KABOOM

Re: Is a 7 qt oil pan enough for a hv oil pump? [Re: jyrki] #1382796
02/08/13 07:08 PM
02/08/13 07:08 PM
California, USA!!!
W
WheelsUp73 Offline
enthusiast
WheelsUp73  Offline
enthusiast
W

California, USA!!!
Quote:

To the original question; an oil pump pumps oil through clearances in certain places and creates oil pressure. A high volume pump does not pump a single milliliter more oil with a certain oil pressure than a regular pump. If it pumps more oil, the pressure will raise.

Not 100 percent correct. The larger gears in the HV pump can move 25 percent more oil at the same pressure. Below is a descrpition of the Mopar perf HV pump from Jegs.If your oil pressure is only getting to 55 lbs then your bearing clearences/lifter bore clearences are out to lunch and a pump pressure spring won't help. My Dart Idles 60 hot and has 80 PSI at full boogie with straight 40 wt Redline.

Oil pump discription

"These high-performance, high-output oil pump assemblies will help protect the life of your muscle car engine, providing a 25% increase in oil volume over stock pumps. Pumps come fully assembled for easy installation."

Re: Is a 7 qt oil pan enough for a hv oil pump? [Re: MR_P_BODY] #1382797
02/08/13 07:20 PM
02/08/13 07:20 PM
Prospect, PA
BSB67 Offline
master
BSB67  Offline
master

Prospect, PA
Quote:

Incorrect, except maybe at lower rpm and pressure when it does not matter. Once your into the relief spring, there is no more oil passing along key engine components. And in fact, the Hv pump is actually putting more heat into the oil when it is beating it around in a circle.

Yes IF your in by pass mode BUT if the engine has
larger clearances and other means of oil loss(as in
my case with edm holes and PR oiling) the pump IS moving
more oil.... not everyone can get away with the standard
volume pump and in the case of removing temp... it
does IF its NOT in by pass mode

Exactly! It applies during bypass

The EDM and PR oiling does take a bunch more oil volume to maintain pressure

Re: Is a 7 qt oil pan enough for a hv oil pump? [Re: emarine01] #1382798
02/08/13 07:47 PM
02/08/13 07:47 PM
Prospect, PA
BSB67 Offline
master
BSB67  Offline
master

Prospect, PA
Quote:

the high volume pump has the best performance advantage at low RPM after a high load pass wile idling back to the pits it will remove heat at a much faster rate...

Certainly. I stand corrected on my "...when it does not matter." statement.

Page 2 of 2 1 2