mopartony  Offline
master

in a chair
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

This blows and I don't even live there. Is Firebird closing a done deal?

Does this leave ANY dragstips in AZ? Whatever happened to the old Beeline track??

Wow.

Guess I better quit complaining about only having Sac and Sonoma within a couple of hours from home...

TIR is here in Tucson but I hear that is closing too as the county runs it and loosing money but who knows. Also thier schedule is limited and from what I hear the track is marginal.

Actually its "SIR" here in Tucson. There is nothing marginal about the track or its operation. Since "mopartony" only "hears" its marginal - and incorrectly calls it "TIR" - I suspect he has never been out there.

The 2013 full schedule is not online yet, but
there are 5 events at the track between now and Feb 16th. There is also a private TNT on Jan 20th - which you can buy into. I see some of the track personnel most weekends, and there is no plan to close SIR. It is on the Pima County Fairgrounds, but run privately.

It is an IHRA track.

Mr "master of all things drag racing in Tucson AZ" Mopar, I do not know you nor you know me, so suspecting I have never been to the track is WRONG! As wrong as me hearing the prep is marginal or having limited events? No. I have been there, "watching" the Pro-Mods run in Oct. Along with a couple "events", saw quite a few cars spinning. The few Pro-Mods there said the prep stunk. Some of the guys here at work said the prep stunk at test and tune. So my saying I "hear" the prep is marginal is correct.

Now the couple of times I have looked at the schedule there have been few events on the schedule. Now maybe I need to be here more than a year to get to "real" event schedule or maybe I did not look at the right times, I do not know.

So instead of being a an f-ing tool. You may want to be a little nicer and correct someone. No you jump right to accusing.

As for "hearing" the track is closing that was on the Bullet and I heard it when I went to Firebird in the spring and fall.

But again I am an idiot who has "not" been to the track.

So Mr Mopar I hope you are happy.

Touchy are we!

My experiences with SIR go back to the first day the track was open.

Sometimes and feely too...

I am from the mid-west with some time in Houston. So I can only go off what I hear until I get my crap box down here. That will be the end of the month then I need to go through it as it has not seen the track in 2 years. no money sucks.

If your exp goes back that far I'm sure it is far better than the people I have talked. Being honest and not sarcastic.

I should add, I am glad to hear it is not closing from someone with good sources. I am like 6 miles from the track and would be if it was closing. Not happy about speedworld and what ever is going on at Firebird. Would hate to have to go to Vegas to race...

So Mr touchy and sometimes feely (that is me) will try and stop spreading bad info...

ADDENDUM: I hope this is not a title change.... I like the one I have...

Re: Speedworld Raceway Arizona... CLOSING??? [Re: mopartony] #1367007
01/10/13 10:08 PM
01/10/13 10:08 PM
Tucson, Arizona
clonestocker Offline
top fuel
clonestocker  Offline
top fuel

Tucson, Arizona
Dude what's up with having to have the Last Word. Very nice facility here in town. I'm glad we have the track. later matt

[img] [/img]
Re: Speedworld Raceway Arizona... CLOSING??? [Re: Chris'sBarracuda] #1367008
01/10/13 10:31 PM
01/10/13 10:31 PM
Phoenix, AZ
M
MoparBilly Offline
master
MoparBilly  Offline
master
M

Phoenix, AZ
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I don't think the State wants to close the track. I believe they just want Dan Mathew's gone!

Was he the reason Victoria left..

Chris..

Ding, Ding, Ding... We have a winner!

"Livin' in a powder keg and givin' off sparks" 4 Street cars, 5 Race engines
Re: Speedworld Raceway Arizona... CLOSING??? [Re: Chris'sBarracuda] #1367009
01/10/13 10:49 PM
01/10/13 10:49 PM
yarnell,az
M
mopacltd Offline
pro stock
mopacltd  Offline
pro stock
M

yarnell,az
No one knows for sure except Victoria, Chris.

Re: Speedworld Raceway Arizona... CLOSING??? [Re: mopartony] #1367010
01/10/13 11:01 PM
01/10/13 11:01 PM
Tucson, Arizona
M
MRMOPAR Offline
top fuel
MRMOPAR  Offline
top fuel
M

Tucson, Arizona
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

This blows and I don't even live there. Is Firebird closing a done deal?

Does this leave ANY dragstips in AZ? Whatever happened to the old Beeline track??

Wow.

Guess I better quit complaining about only having Sac and Sonoma within a couple of hours from home...

TIR is here in Tucson but I hear that is closing too as the county runs it and loosing money but who knows. Also thier schedule is limited and from what I hear the track is marginal.

Actually its "SIR" here in Tucson. There is nothing marginal about the track or its operation. Since "mopartony" only "hears" its marginal - and incorrectly calls it "TIR" - I suspect he has never been out there.

The 2013 full schedule is not online yet, but
there are 5 events at the track between now and Feb 16th. There is also a private TNT on Jan 20th - which you can buy into. I see some of the track personnel most weekends, and there is no plan to close SIR. It is on the Pima County Fairgrounds, but run privately.

It is an IHRA track.

Mr "master of all things drag racing in Tucson AZ" Mopar, I do not know you nor you know me, so suspecting I have never been to the track is WRONG! As wrong as me hearing the prep is marginal or having limited events? No. I have been there, "watching" the Pro-Mods run in Oct. Along with a couple "events", saw quite a few cars spinning. The few Pro-Mods there said the prep stunk. Some of the guys here at work said the prep stunk at test and tune. So my saying I "hear" the prep is marginal is correct.

Now the couple of times I have looked at the schedule there have been few events on the schedule. Now maybe I need to be here more than a year to get to "real" event schedule or maybe I did not look at the right times, I do not know.

So instead of being a an f-ing tool. You may want to be a little nicer and correct someone. No you jump right to accusing.

As for "hearing" the track is closing that was on the Bullet and I heard it when I went to Firebird in the spring and fall.

But again I am an idiot who has "not" been to the track.

So Mr Mopar I hope you are happy.

Touchy are we!

My experiences with SIR go back to the first day the track was open.

Sometimes and feely too...

I am from the mid-west with some time in Houston. So I can only go off what I hear until I get my crap box down here. That will be the end of the month then I need to go through it as it has not seen the track in 2 years. no money sucks.

If your exp goes back that far I'm sure it is far better than the people I have talked. Being honest and not sarcastic.

I should add, I am glad to hear it is not closing from someone with good sources. I am like 6 miles from the track and would be if it was closing. Not happy about speedworld and what ever is going on at Firebird. Would hate to have to go to Vegas to race...

So Mr touchy and sometimes feely (that is me) will try and stop spreading bad info...

ADDENDUM: I hope this is not a title change.... I like the one I have...

No problem Tony. I'm sure you will like the track. There are a really great bunch of racers out there. I think the only problem the track has for those in PHX is the distance (and maybe the altitude)!! Hope to see you out there with your car.
I moved down here in 1979 and raced at the old Tucson Drugway - sorry - they closed after the promoter was arrested for using the track as a private landing strip for illegal substances from S of the border. It was just E of Houghton on Poorman Road. It was doomed anyway as the housing developments pushed S out of Tucson. The starting line and track are still out there in the desert. It was a long time before SIR came along. Most of us who race/raced at SIR watched it come to be. One thing in favor was its location and the fact its on county land. By the way - TIR is actually
Tucson (DIRT) International Raceway - probably not conducive to dragracing!!

Hey Matt - did some more work on getting the Ross Pistons ordered. Getting closer. How about you.

Last edited by MRMOPAR; 01/10/13 11:07 PM.

68 RR 528" INDY MAXX 07 2500 CTD Southwest International Raceway - IHRA - Tucson, AZ
Re: Speedworld Raceway Arizona... CLOSING??? [Re: MRMOPAR] #1367011
01/11/13 11:33 AM
01/11/13 11:33 AM
in a chair
mopartony Offline
master
mopartony  Offline
master

in a chair
Quote:

No problem Tony. I'm sure you will like the track. There are a really great bunch of racers out there. I think the only problem the track has for those in PHX is the distance (and maybe the altitude)!! Hope to see you out there with your car.
I moved down here in 1979 and raced at the old Tucson Drugway - sorry - they closed after the promoter was arrested for using the track as a private landing strip for illegal substances from S of the border. It was just E of Houghton on Poorman Road. It was doomed anyway as the housing developments pushed S out of Tucson. The starting line and track are still out there in the desert. It was a long time before SIR came along. Most of us who race/raced at SIR watched it come to be. One thing in favor was its location and the fact its on county land. By the way - TIR is actually
Tucson (DIRT) International Raceway - probably not conducive to dragracing!!

Hey Matt - did some more work on getting the Ross Pistons ordered. Getting closer. How about you.

Honestly I just want to get a car on the track again. I have not made a pass in 2 years. So at this point I would take a dirt track...

That is some cool history to know. Always neat to hear about the old tracks. There is an old track up in MI, north of Detroit that you can still see the tower and if you get close enough the strip. Closed in 80's if I remember right.

I'll PM you when I am ready to hit the track with the car. It is set up for 1/8th mile right now so may need to make a gear change. I do not want to dump a ton of cash into it as I am building a new car.

Re: Speedworld Raceway Arizona... CLOSING??? [Re: MRMOPAR] #1367012
01/11/13 12:27 PM
01/11/13 12:27 PM
Chandler, AZ
Duner Offline
top fuel
Duner  Offline
top fuel

Chandler, AZ
After thinking about it... I REALLY need to come to Tucson more often.

After a quick review - SIR has been VERY kind to me in that I have won roughly 33% of the events I've gone to there - with a "who knows" when the Mopar Shootout event was stopped at the semi-final round due to weather and I was still in after winning my class the year before. We split the money. (obviously years ago) I also really miss that particular race as well!

Pinks down there was a blast!

Like I said, I really like the track. The prep has always been great when I was there and I really like the way they actually treated the racers. When's the next event?

Re: Speedworld Raceway Arizona... CLOSING??? [Re: Duner] #1367013
01/11/13 01:55 PM
01/11/13 01:55 PM
Tucson, Arizona
M
MRMOPAR Offline
top fuel
MRMOPAR  Offline
top fuel
M

Tucson, Arizona
Next events at SIR

January 19th TNT Gates 8:00 am
January 26th TNT Gates 8:00 am
February 9th TNT Gates 8:00 am
February 10th Team #1 Gates 8:00 am
February 16th TNT Gates 8:00 am

SIR Web Site

68 RR 528" INDY MAXX 07 2500 CTD Southwest International Raceway - IHRA - Tucson, AZ
Re: Speedworld Raceway Arizona... CLOSING??? [Re: MRMOPAR] #1367014
01/11/13 01:58 PM
01/11/13 01:58 PM
Chandler, AZ
Duner Offline
top fuel
Duner  Offline
top fuel

Chandler, AZ
Thanks!

Re: Speedworld Raceway Arizona... CLOSING??? [Re: Duner] #1367015
01/11/13 03:11 PM
01/11/13 03:11 PM
in a chair
mopartony Offline
master
mopartony  Offline
master

in a chair
I can not get the SIR (got it right this time... ) sire to open at work...

What is Team #1?

Re: Speedworld Raceway Arizona... CLOSING??? [Re: mopartony] #1367016
01/11/13 04:48 PM
01/11/13 04:48 PM
yarnell,az
M
mopacltd Offline
pro stock
mopacltd  Offline
pro stock
M

yarnell,az
Time for us Phoenician's to make the trip to Tucson, like the Tucsonian's have come to Phoenix for many years.

Re: Speedworld Raceway Arizona... CLOSING??? [Re: mopacltd] #1367017
01/11/13 04:57 PM
01/11/13 04:57 PM
Chandler, AZ
Duner Offline
top fuel
Duner  Offline
top fuel

Chandler, AZ
Quote:

Time for us Phoenician's to make the trip to Tucson, like the Tucsonian's have come to Phoenix for many years.

I wish we could carry our 1,800' lower DA with us! LOL

Re: Speedworld Raceway Arizona... CLOSING??? [Re: Duner] #1367018
01/11/13 05:27 PM
01/11/13 05:27 PM
yarnell,az
M
mopacltd Offline
pro stock
mopacltd  Offline
pro stock
M

yarnell,az
Duner, at least you have the option of throughing more boost at it.

Re: Speedworld Raceway Arizona... CLOSING??? [Re: mopacltd] #1367019
01/11/13 05:37 PM
01/11/13 05:37 PM
Chandler, AZ
Duner Offline
top fuel
Duner  Offline
top fuel

Chandler, AZ
Quote:

Duner, at least you have the option of throughing more boost at it.

That's very true.

To be honest - typically in the past - the awesome track prep helped my 60' numbers enough that the ET stayed the same even if the mph dropped some.

My 4.7 ran it's best time ever - in Tucson - on a 103° day to help me win my Hot Teams race.

Re: Speedworld Raceway Arizona... CLOSING??? [Re: Duner] #1367020
01/11/13 05:47 PM
01/11/13 05:47 PM
yarnell,az
M
mopacltd Offline
pro stock
mopacltd  Offline
pro stock
M

yarnell,az
That's the SIR we know and love!

Re: Speedworld Raceway Arizona... CLOSING??? [Re: mopacltd] #1367021
01/11/13 09:54 PM
01/11/13 09:54 PM
Arizona
PolyDart Offline
super stock
PolyDart  Offline
super stock

Arizona
Quote:

That's the SIR we know and love!

Is Bernie still in Tucson? He left Speedworld just as I was starting out with my car there... Unfortunately you weren't far behind

Re: Speedworld Raceway Arizona... CLOSING??? [Re: Duner] #1367022
01/11/13 11:23 PM
01/11/13 11:23 PM
State of confusion
T
Thumperdart Offline
I Live Here
Thumperdart  Offline
I Live Here
T

State of confusion
Quote:

After thinking about it... I REALLY need to come to Tucson more often.

After a quick review - SIR has been VERY kind to me in that I have won roughly 33% of the events I've gone to there - with a "who knows" when the Mopar Shootout event was stopped at the semi-final round due to weather and I was still in after winning my class the year before. We split the money. (obviously years ago) I also really miss that particular race as well!

Pinks down there was a blast!

Like I said, I really like the track. The prep has always been great when I was there and I really like the way they actually treated the racers. When's the next event?

So what`s the altitude there and is it I.H.R.A. and if so how fast can you go w/a bar........

72 Dart 470 n/a BB stroker street car `THUMPER`...Check me out on FB Dominic Thumper for videos and lots of carb pics......760-900-3895.....
Re: Speedworld Raceway Arizona... CLOSING??? [Re: Duner] #1367023
01/11/13 11:43 PM
01/11/13 11:43 PM
tn
R
robnbird Offline
super stock
robnbird  Offline
super stock
R

tn
Quote:

We are turning into California.

Since this is a family-friendly site.....

Expletive - expletive - gawl-darn, shucks, friggin' and more expletives!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm not sure how else to verbalize my feelings.

not trying to be political but one can not vote wrong and race right.. If they be for green they be against open headers.... Just saying.. where are the JOBS

Re: Speedworld Raceway Arizona... CLOSING??? [Re: Chris'sBarracuda] #1367024
01/11/13 11:48 PM
01/11/13 11:48 PM
tn
R
robnbird Offline
super stock
robnbird  Offline
super stock
R

tn
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Anyone interested in a Black 68 Barracuda??

Trades Considered.. Street Car..

Chris..

PSSSST...Maybe even two...

The 5 door too?

Chris..

BUY THE TRACK

Re: Speedworld Raceway Arizona... CLOSING??? [Re: Thumperdart] #1367025
01/12/13 12:33 AM
01/12/13 12:33 AM
Chandler, AZ
Duner Offline
top fuel
Duner  Offline
top fuel

Chandler, AZ
Quote:

So what`s the altitude there and is it I.H.R.A. and if so how fast can you go w/a bar........

Track is at 3015' altitude.

I'm not up on IHRA rules, but I'd expect it to still be a 10.0 with just a bar.

Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6