01/08/13 12:03 PM
Romeo MI
MR_P_BODY Offline
Master
MR_P_BODY  Offline
Master

Romeo MI
Quote:

Hind sight is 20/20 Steve. As James noted, the only "craftsmanship" issues I possibly had was the cracking around the guides, and like I stated before, it was either an assembly error, or trying to press a guide into material that resembled a fortune cookie. I cannot make that call....machinist im not....and would you be happy sending your head to a "professional" for a repair and the epoxy comes out after 150 passes?? Once again...I'm not an expert in this field, that's why I rely on people "in the know" to handle these situations. Perhaps it wasn't made clear to me that the epoxy repair was a "maybe it will work, maybe it won't" deal. These were the supposed "good" blue core plug heads. I had another set of W5's, but sold them in anticipation of the Ebrock super victor head. Those heads seemed to have a better visual finish, but at that point I'd had enough of MP heads. We ran Stage VI's on my big block.....I'm a glutton for punishment I guess. We actually were building a W2 mill, but those had some cracks in them (quite common from what i've seen) and I went with the W5 under the guise that "aluminum heads are repairable". Live and learn.

9.87 was run at Oahe Speedway Jim...

The alum heads are repairable to a certain extent
but the W-5s were basically so bad with porosity its
hard to weld when you run into dirt in the castings...
I have had 2 sets of W-5s and the first(old castings)
had holes in them when I got them...being that I
worked at Chrysler Engineering I talked to the rep
at a car show and he said he would swap them out...
and when I showed him them he said.... keep them and
gave me the new castings... I started playing with
port work on them to get the numbers up and then I
sold them to Vic on here so he could play with them...
Ryan did a real nice job of hand porting my W-9s and
they flowed the same as my Chapman CNC set of W-9s
(I flowed both sets at work on the same bench).
I've had bad luck on different companies on different
work and now I go to a local company called St Clair
Engine and Sean has taken good care of my junk

Re: Indy or Shady Dell? [Re: Al_Alguire] #1365678
01/08/13 12:30 PM
01/08/13 12:30 PM
St.Louis, Mo.
M
mokid Offline
enthusiast
mokid  Offline
enthusiast
M

St.Louis, Mo.
Quote:

Well I think my position on the subject has been well documented over the years so I wont rehash it. But if it were me like mokid said I would be looking elswhere. Mopar guys sure get hung up on using "mopar only" shops. There are plenty of compitent shops out there that can do the work. Afterall .0001" is .0001" whether it is Ford Chvy or Mopar. A good machinist ot head guy is a good machinist or head guy period. The fact some here are poo pooing a $30K all out effort does not surprise me either. Some just have no idea what it costs to actually build an all out effort.

Thanks Bro for that, We are currently on a up grade rebuild new rod,pistons,lifters, and the shop doing work does mostly chevy race motors in fact he said my motor is more like a chevy then mopar, chevy crank, chevy rods, ford firing order, oh buy the way this shop fixed all the screw ups that one of the noted builders from PA did.

Re: Indy or Shady Dell? [Re: mokid] #1365679
01/08/13 12:57 PM
01/08/13 12:57 PM
Mt. Vernon, Ohio
dartman366 Offline
I Live Here
dartman366  Offline
I Live Here

Mt. Vernon, Ohio
Quote:

Quote:

Well I think my position on the subject has been well documented over the years so I wont rehash it. But if it were me like mokid said I would be looking elswhere. Mopar guys sure get hung up on using "mopar only" shops. There are plenty of compitent shops out there that can do the work. Afterall .0001" is .0001" whether it is Ford Chvy or Mopar. A good machinist ot head guy is a good machinist or head guy period. The fact some here are poo pooing a $30K all out effort does not surprise me either. Some just have no idea what it costs to actually build an all out effort.

Thanks Bro for that, We are currently on a up grade rebuild new rod,pistons,lifters, and the shop doing work does mostly chevy race motors in fact he said my motor is more like a chevy then mopar, chevy crank, chevy rods, ford firing order, oh buy the way this shop fixed all the screw ups that one of the noted builders from PA did.

Been there, done that,,I have a local guy that does all my work now and he is also well versed in the GM stuff, but he also has a BB mopar customer that is sitting on a NHRA stock class record as we speak, so he knows his Mopars too and how they work, plus he has pulled my but out of a jam on several occations with my present motor and got it straightened up.

Light travels faster than the speed of sound,,,this is why some people seem bright untill you hear them speak.
Re: Indy or Shady Dell? [Re: dartman366] #1365680
01/08/13 01:45 PM
01/08/13 01:45 PM
Las Vegas
Al_Alguire Offline
I Live Here
Al_Alguire  Offline
I Live Here

Las Vegas
Well FWIW both my engines has HAND ported heads. The B1's and Pro Stock peices are both hand ported and seem to make pretty good power..

As for engine builders I have pimped my guy here many times. I have a 1050hp b1 that works like a xerox machine and he is NOT a Mopar engine guy. But he does build some of the fastest cars out in this part of the country. Also this little shop in Phoenix called RWR has a pretty good reputation.....

"I am not ashamed to confess I am ignorant of what I do not know."

"It's never wrong to do the right thing"
Re: Indy or Shady Dell? [Re: Al_Alguire] #1365681
01/08/13 01:47 PM
01/08/13 01:47 PM
U.S.
M
moparniac Offline
master
moparniac  Offline
master
M

U.S.
I guess it just depends on how much power Indy gives josh to resolve issues with customers.... We already have good suppliers to go through like bob George etc... Hopefully josh makes a big impact at Indy

Mopar Performance
Re: Indy or Shady Dell? [Re: mokid] #1365682
01/08/13 03:24 PM
01/08/13 03:24 PM
O'Fallon,IL.
70RTRacer Offline
enthusiast
70RTRacer  Offline
enthusiast

O'Fallon,IL.
Quote:

Quote:

Chris and Al,

You are both dead on. Chris and I are both using the same builder. I couldn't be happier.

Re: Indy or Shady Dell? [Re: 70RTRacer] #1365683
01/09/13 10:46 AM
01/09/13 10:46 AM
Indy
J
joshking440 Offline
Lunch is on me!
joshking440  Offline
Lunch is on me!
J

Indy
Sometimes just calling and talking to the engine shops is WAY better information that internet speculation

Re: Indy or Shady Dell? [Re: J_BODY] #1365684
01/09/13 12:40 PM
01/09/13 12:40 PM
Chandler, AZ
Duner Offline
top fuel
Duner  Offline
top fuel

Chandler, AZ
My MP heads had the same issue on both intakes and exhaust guides. Those chunks around the guide are tough on turbo parts and piston tops. I just figured it was my fault for removing too much material around them.

You can see how porous the casting was. Those heads are expensive paper-weights now.

Re: Indy or Shady Dell? [Re: Duner] #1365685
01/09/13 01:00 PM
01/09/13 01:00 PM
Eighty Four, PA
B G Racing Offline
master
B G Racing  Offline
master

Eighty Four, PA
We see this condition a lot on max ported heads.Usually if care is taken on the removal and installation it may be avoided.My head guy always heats the head before removal and installing, since most heads will expand before a hardened guide.If cracks appear,dress them off.Small cracks in this area get bigger if you run them.

Re: Indy or Shady Dell? [Re: moparguy7074] #1365686
01/10/13 04:51 AM
01/10/13 04:51 AM
Las Vegas, NV
dodgeboy11 Offline
super stock
dodgeboy11  Offline
super stock

Las Vegas, NV
Quote:

I have a question, why is a cnc port job better than a hand port job?

It really depends on who's doing the work. A hand ported set of heads can work around core shift and other inconsistencies in the head if the person handling the grinder is any good. At the same time, if the CNC program is a good one (NOT Patriot performance.. Is it bad to name names??) then the result is a set of heads that flow very very well much quicker than a comparable set of hand ported heads. When it comes right down to it though, for max effort, I think hand porting is the way to go. After all, the CNC port is just a copy of a hand ported port.

Re: Indy or Shady Dell? [Re: dodgeboy11] #1365687
01/10/13 09:40 AM
01/10/13 09:40 AM
Eighty Four, PA
B G Racing Offline
master
B G Racing  Offline
master

Eighty Four, PA
CNC= repeatibility.If your only doing a few sets and have a lot of time hand porting is the way to go.

Re: Indy or Shady Dell? [Re: dodgeboy11] #1365688
01/12/13 08:26 AM
01/12/13 08:26 AM
Mo.
racerx Offline
master
racerx  Offline
master

Mo.
Quote:

Quote:

It really depends on who's doing the work. A hand ported set of heads can work around core shift and other inconsistencies in the head if the person handling the grinder is any good. At the same time, if the CNC program is a good one (NOT Patriot performance.. Is it bad to name names??) then the result is a set of heads that flow very very well much quicker than a comparable set of hand ported heads. When it comes right down to it though, for max effort, I think hand porting is the way to go. After all, the CNC port is just a copy of a hand ported port.

With that said who would one recommend for an good cnc program for the s/b,BB heads

Re: Indy or Shady Dell? [Re: racerx] #1365689
01/12/13 09:54 AM
01/12/13 09:54 AM
Indy
J
joshking440 Offline
Lunch is on me!
joshking440  Offline
Lunch is on me!
J

Indy
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

With that said who would one recommend for an good cnc program for the s/b,BB heads

the what?

Re: Indy or Shady Dell? [Re: dodgeboy11] #1365690
01/12/13 10:23 AM
01/12/13 10:23 AM
LONG ISLAND
fishy340 Offline
master
fishy340  Offline
master

LONG ISLAND
Im not sure what the heak is being said here.A cnc program copies exactly what someone already worked on by HAND and then digitized to copy the work over and over.

Re: Indy or Shady Dell? [Re: joshking440] #1365691
01/13/13 10:28 PM
01/13/13 10:28 PM
Mo.
racerx Offline
master
racerx  Offline
master

Mo.
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

the what?

Who has an nice cnc program for the sb/bb heads?

Re: Indy or Shady Dell? [Re: racerx] #1365692
01/13/13 11:31 PM
01/13/13 11:31 PM
Hilltown Pa
1967dartgt Offline
master
1967dartgt  Offline
master

Hilltown Pa
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

the what?

Which small block head and which bb head? There are a lot of heads out there and not one shop will have all those different cnc programs.

Brett Miller W9 cnc'd heads
STR Chassis fabraction
Re: Indy or Shady Dell? [Re: 1967dartgt] #1365693
01/14/13 12:46 AM
01/14/13 12:46 AM
Indy
J
joshking440 Offline
Lunch is on me!
joshking440  Offline
Lunch is on me!
J

Indy
Im COnfused

Re: Indy or Shady Dell? [Re: 1967dartgt] #1365694
01/14/13 07:56 AM
01/14/13 07:56 AM
Mo.
racerx Offline
master
racerx  Offline
master

Mo.
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

the what?

Which small block head and which bb head? There are a lot of heads out there and not one shop will have all those different cnc programs.

Sorry -1s never mind on the s/b heads.

Re: Indy or Shady Dell? [Re: racerx] #1365695
01/14/13 11:51 AM
01/14/13 11:51 AM
Hilltown Pa
1967dartgt Offline
master
1967dartgt  Offline
master

Hilltown Pa
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

the what?

Slawko for big blocks

Brett Miller W9 cnc'd heads
STR Chassis fabraction
Re: Indy or Shady Dell? [Re: 1967dartgt] #1365696
01/14/13 09:19 PM
01/14/13 09:19 PM
Mo.
racerx Offline
master
racerx  Offline
master

Mo.
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

the what?

Slawko for big blocks

Thaxs do they have an website,contact#?

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5