11/28/12 10:44 PM
Lehigh Acres, Florida
rickstershemi Offline
master
rickstershemi  Offline
master

Lehigh Acres, Florida
Quote:

Looking for recomendations on getting headers coated. Preferably on the East Coast. I have used a place here in Tampa that did a good job, but they dont do the brite silver which was fine on the Arrow, but the new project is an open engine and I'l really like a nice job. Do most quality coating jobs do the inside also? Dont want to chrome,just a good ceramic job.

Thanks in advance,
John

Give my friend Tommy (ex pro-stock bike racer) in FT Myers a call....he does awesome work 239-850-1669

Rickster

Re: Header Coating [Re: MR_P_BODY] #1342532
11/29/12 02:59 AM
11/29/12 02:59 AM
Detroit, MI
C
CCPcoatings.com Offline
CCPcoatings.com  Offline
C

Detroit, MI
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Yes they do

http://www.qccoatings.com/wherewereat.php

Hate to rain on your parade, but QC has never coated the inside of headers nor do most other shops. If you ask the right questions you'll get the right answer. Bill will tell you that they only spray inside the collector and primary area as far as you can see.

This is NOT ID coating. Even if it were done throughout with Bright Ceramic, in most situations Bright Ceramic would not stick to the inner primaries because it can't be prepped sufficiently. ID coatings are done with a different thermal barrier that is capable of bonding to less than ideal part prep.

CCPcoatings.com

Are you saying it doesnt bite to new tubing.. all the
headers I have done are new tubing

Not at all, it doesn't have anything to do with new or used tubing. Bright Ceramic is VERY sensitive to preparation and coating thickness. In order to get Bright Cerm to bond properly the substrate has to be profiled in a very specific way which is rarely possible past your first bend. If it isn't the Ceramic will either flake off in the polishing process or blow out with the exhaust. Further, if the material is put on too thick, like someone flow coating it, it will again just flake off. Like I said, the bright shiny you see in your collector and head flange ends just past your line of sight. Jet Hot blew smoke up people butt with this BS for years.

Re: Header Coating [Re: CCPcoatings.com] #1342533
11/29/12 10:51 AM
11/29/12 10:51 AM
Romeo MI
MR_P_BODY Offline
Master
MR_P_BODY  Offline
Master

Romeo MI
Thanks for the info

Re: Header Coating [Re: PS Arrow] #1342534
11/29/12 02:31 PM
11/29/12 02:31 PM
Tampa
D
DusterDave Offline
top fuel
DusterDave  Offline
top fuel
D

Tampa
Quote:

Looking for recomendations on getting headers coated. Preferably on the East Coast. I have used a place here in Tampa that did a good job, but they dont do the brite silver which was fine on the Arrow, but the new project is an open engine and I'l really like a nice job. Do most quality coating jobs do the inside also? Dont want to chrome,just a good ceramic job.

Thanks in advance,
John

John, are you talking about Pro Coat? I know the owner there, and he told me he doesn't do the bright silver anymore. I took the headers to American Powder Coating on E. Bearss Ave. in north Tampa. They did a decent job.

Gone to the dark side with an LS3 powered '57 Chevy 210
Re: Header Coating [Re: PS Arrow] #1342535
11/29/12 02:38 PM
11/29/12 02:38 PM
Tampa
D
DusterDave Offline
top fuel
DusterDave  Offline
top fuel
D

Tampa
Quote:

Mike, do you know if they can do the inside also?

I was told by several powder coaters that if a powder coater says they can do the inside, its BS. The surface must be 100% cleaned and sandblasted, otherwise the coating won't adhere properly. I had my 440 headers coated by a company where I paid extra to get the insides coated. I later had to cut and rework a section in the middle of one of the primary pipes, and guess what, no coating.

Gone to the dark side with an LS3 powered '57 Chevy 210
Page 2 of 2 1 2