11/04/12 09:20 AM
11/04/12 09:20 AM
Marysville, O-H-I-O
70Cuda383 Offline OP
Too Many Posts
70Cuda383  Offline OP
Too Many Posts

Marysville, O-H-I-O
So, saw this in Monty's thread of the Ferrari...

Quote:

Some may know this trivia... in car design it's ideal to position the brake caliper mass closer to the CofG / center of gravity of the vehicle as done on that Ferrari, the calipers are mounted rearward on the front, and forward on the rear.

OK.

Why?

simply for a weight distribution standpoint? or is there some sort of force vector that occurs and when the calipers are on the "inside" it helps add stability?

**Photobucket sucks**
Re: Brake caliper position.... [Re: 70Cuda383] #1330430
11/04/12 09:35 AM
11/04/12 09:35 AM
Cooperstown, NY
jrlegacy23 Offline
mopar
jrlegacy23  Offline
mopar

Cooperstown, NY
The calipers on the front of the front wheels would cause more leverage to attempt to raise the rear of the car when braking hard, causing the rear to be less controllable. With them on the back of the front wheels, not so much, and the front will push down into the road more rather than attempt to tear the car off the front wheels (not that it will).
On the rear wheels, the calipers in the rear would allow the rear of the car to lift away from the wheels. The calipers on the front of the rear wheels would, in a sense, cause the suspension to push down more, increasing the coefficient of friction on the rear tires and increase the braking efficiency.

On a normal car, this would not be that noticable. But on a supercar (like Ferrari, Lotus, Lambo's) this would affect there finely tuned handling.

On a street car, I personally like the calipers on the rear portion of the rotors so no debris lays on the top of the calipers and gets forced in between the brakes and rotors when the wheels turn.

[color:"#00FF00"]68 Fastback Barracuda with some stuff[/color]

Re: Brake caliper position.... [Re: 70Cuda383] #1330431
11/04/12 09:50 AM
11/04/12 09:50 AM
St. Louis, MO
mopardamo Offline
pro stock
mopardamo  Offline
pro stock

St. Louis, MO
Hello,

Its called Polar Moment of Inertia. Imagine the extreme case of 50% of the cars mass beyond the front axel and 50% beyond the rear axel centerlines. Car would weigh the same but would be a mess going around corners. The tighter in we can move the mass the greater the stability. They are talking about relatively small changes with caliper placement but thats what performance is all about many times.

Damon

Re: Brake caliper position.... [Re: jrlegacy23] #1330432
11/04/12 09:52 AM
11/04/12 09:52 AM
Marysville, O-H-I-O
70Cuda383 Offline OP
Too Many Posts
70Cuda383  Offline OP
Too Many Posts

Marysville, O-H-I-O
Interesting theory, but I don't see how that happens...if the calipers were mounted on the frame, maybe. but since they're mounted on the axle, I don't see how it can create any up or down leverage on the wheels.

or rather, regardless of caliper location, the application of brakes will tip the nose of the rear diff down because it's a rotational application of force.

**Photobucket sucks**
Re: Brake caliper position.... [Re: mopardamo] #1330433
11/04/12 09:54 AM
11/04/12 09:54 AM
Marysville, O-H-I-O
70Cuda383 Offline OP
Too Many Posts
70Cuda383  Offline OP
Too Many Posts

Marysville, O-H-I-O
Quote:

Hello,

Its called Polar Moment of Inertia. Imagine the extreme case of 50% of the cars mass beyond the front axel and 50% beyond the rear axel centerlines. Car would weigh the same but would be a mess going around corners. The tighter in we can move the mass the greater the stability. They are talking about relatively small changes with caliper placement but thats what performance is all about many times.

Damon

Ok, so it's all about weight distribution and CG? has nothing to do with application of brake force? makes sense, and I completely understand that. I just didn't know if it was that simple, or if there was some odd phenomenon that happens to the suspension when the brakes are applied

**Photobucket sucks**
Re: Brake caliper position.... [Re: 70Cuda383] #1330434
11/04/12 09:56 AM
11/04/12 09:56 AM
Marysville, O-H-I-O
70Cuda383 Offline OP
Too Many Posts
70Cuda383  Offline OP
Too Many Posts

Marysville, O-H-I-O
Unlike a car such as a Ferrari that most likely has that perfect 50/50 distribution of weight...what about a nose heavy truck that is more likely to have a 60/40 distribution of weight, would it then make sense to have the calipers as far back as possible to try and improve weight distribution? or is it still all about keeping as much mass between the wheels as possible?

**Photobucket sucks**
Re: Brake caliper position.... [Re: 70Cuda383] #1330435
11/04/12 11:28 AM
11/04/12 11:28 AM
So Cal
autoxcuda Offline
Too Many Posts
autoxcuda  Offline
Too Many Posts

So Cal
Quote:

Unlike a car such as a Ferrari that most likely has that perfect 50/50 distribution of weight...what about a nose heavy truck that is more likely to have a 60/40 distribution of weight, would it then make sense to have the calipers as far back as possible to try and improve weight distribution? or is it still all about keeping as much mass between the wheels as possible?

Well it would still have the very small benefit of having the front caliper rearward for f/r weight distribution and polar moment of inertia. In the rear a designer would have to make choice if a more rearward CG was more beneficial to that particular vehicle and application than polar moment of inertia.

I don't think a typical truck's first priority would be slalom speeds and times over rear traction in rain/snow in braking and acceleration.

I like brake calipers put rearward in my car so it's easiers to route brake ducting to the rotors.

Last edited by autoxcuda; 11/04/12 04:06 PM.
Re: Brake caliper position.... [Re: autoxcuda] #1330436
11/04/12 03:55 PM
11/04/12 03:55 PM
Bitopia
J
jcc Offline
If you can't dazzle em with diamonds..
jcc  Offline
J

Bitopia
Quote:

Quote:

Well it would still have the very small benefit of having the front caliper rearward for f/r weight distribution and polar moment of inertia. In the rear a designer would have to make choice if a more rearward CG was more beneficial to that particular vehicle and application than polar moment of inertia.

I don't think a typical truck's first priority would be slalom speeds and times over rear traction in rain/snow in braking and acceleration.

I like brake calipers put rearward in my car so it's easiers to round brake ducting. to the rotors.

Based on another un-mentioned current very hot thread here, I must be a "liberal" since I am too lazy to crunch the numbers and suggest someone else to do the math, by my guess is moving calipers front to rear mounting is about the same as the driver moving his seat back 1/2", or maybe adding 2 gals of fuel, ie not much.

Reality check, that half the population is smarter then 50% of the people and it's a constantly contested fact.
Re: Brake caliper position.... [Re: autoxcuda] #1330437
11/04/12 10:01 PM
11/04/12 10:01 PM
Marysville, O-H-I-O
70Cuda383 Offline OP
Too Many Posts
70Cuda383  Offline OP
Too Many Posts

Marysville, O-H-I-O
OK....Explain to me what exactly Polar Moment of Inertia means.

Obviously it means something different than center of gravity...

does it have anything to do with when the brakes are applied, or is it applicable all the time regardless of brake application?

**Photobucket sucks**
Re: Brake caliper position.... [Re: 70Cuda383] #1330438
11/04/12 11:49 PM
11/04/12 11:49 PM
up yours
Supercuda Offline
About to go away
Supercuda  Offline
About to go away

up yours
Polar moment of rotation simply means how hard it is to get a vehicle to rotate (turn), or stop rotating. In a straight line racer it's a null point. For 99.9% of the vehicles on the street worrying about the caliper location it's turd polishing. On a Ferrari that is being designed optimally to take advantage of every handling trick it's a cheap thing to do that brings a benefit with it. If you can do it easily it's a cheap but slight improvement. If you have to jump through hoops to do it, then don't as odds are very good it will never show up as a measurable improvement.

They say there are no such thing as a stupid question.
They say there is always the exception that proves the rule.
Don't be the exception.
Re: Brake caliper position.... [Re: 70Cuda383] #1330439
11/05/12 12:01 AM
11/05/12 12:01 AM
St. Louis, MO
mopardamo Offline
pro stock
mopardamo  Offline
pro stock

St. Louis, MO
Hello,

In this case "Polar" can be thought of as mass at opposite ends of the car. Moment of Inertia can be though of simply as the force needed to move the car in some direction other than its current path. The further away each mass is placed from the other the harder it is to turn the car. So in an extreme example lets say a car has half the mass at the front bumper and half the mass at the rear bumper with a carbon fiber rod tying them together. In this example the fake car will be a real chore to turn sharp left or right. Handling will be extremely poor. The handling will improve as the mass's are brought closer together.

It has nothing to do directly with brakes. Only the mass of the components and where they are placed.

This help any?

Damon

Last edited by mopardamo; 11/05/12 02:34 AM.
Re: Brake caliper position.... [Re: mopardamo] #1330440
11/05/12 12:16 AM
11/05/12 12:16 AM
Fly Over States
P
PHJ426 Offline
master
PHJ426  Offline
master
P

Fly Over States
Damon is right on. Here is a link to some mechanical engineering concepts and how they apply to vehicle dynamics and its an easy read:

http://ritzel.siu.edu/courses/302s/vehicle/vehicledynamics.htm

Re: Brake caliper position.... [Re: 70Cuda383] #1330441
11/05/12 02:17 AM
11/05/12 02:17 AM
Oregon
A
AndyF Offline
I Win
AndyF  Offline
I Win
A

Oregon
Quote:

OK....Explain to me what exactly Polar Moment of Inertia means.

Obviously it means something different than center of gravity...

does it have anything to do with when the brakes are applied, or is it applicable all the time regardless of brake application?

Take a 10 lb bar bell and a 10 lb bowling ball. See which is easier to make spin.

Re: Brake caliper position.... [Re: 70Cuda383] #1330442
11/05/12 08:39 AM
11/05/12 08:39 AM
Cooperstown, NY
jrlegacy23 Offline
mopar
jrlegacy23  Offline
mopar

Cooperstown, NY
Re-read my post, it is very on target. It has nothing to do with braking forces, but more with stopping distances. This is hard to understand without physically showing you.
Let me try to explain. Take a tire, try to stop it from rolling by grabbing it in the front. When you clamp on it and do not move, the tire will want to rollover you (like a flip/vault formula).
When you clamp on the back, the tire will try lift you. When you do not move, the tire will be forced downward into the pavement more. This action will inadvertently increase the COF (coefficient of friction) of the said surface and decrease stopping distances of a vehicle.
Coefficient of friction is the ratio of the amount of force it take to pull a certain weight across a defined surface. The position of the caliper increases this from the tire surface to the pavement surface. In accident reconstruction (in which I specialize in) the ratio is then multiplied by the weight of gravity (32.2 feet per second squared), to determine the drag factor of a driving surface, this identifies the ability of how fast a tire can stop on any given surface.
It will not be a dramatic increase, but enough that exotic car makers will use it. Remember a little here and a little there, will add up to a lot overall.

[color:"#00FF00"]68 Fastback Barracuda with some stuff[/color]

Re: Brake caliper position.... [Re: jrlegacy23] #1330443
11/05/12 10:11 AM
11/05/12 10:11 AM
Marysville, O-H-I-O
70Cuda383 Offline OP
Too Many Posts
70Cuda383  Offline OP
Too Many Posts

Marysville, O-H-I-O
Quote:

Re-read my post, it is very on target. It has nothing to do with braking forces, but more with stopping distances. This is hard to understand without physically showing you.
Let me try to explain. Take a tire, try to stop it from rolling by grabbing it in the front. When you clamp on it and do not move, the tire will want to rollover you (like a flip/vault formula).
When you clamp on the back, the tire will try lift you. When you do not move, the tire will be forced downward into the pavement more. This action will inadvertently increase the COF (coefficient of friction) of the said surface and decrease stopping distances of a vehicle.
Coefficient of friction is the ratio of the amount of force it take to pull a certain weight across a defined surface. The position of the caliper increases this from the tire surface to the pavement surface. In accident reconstruction (in which I specialize in) the ratio is then multiplied by the weight of gravity (32.2 feet per second squared), to determine the drag factor of a driving surface, this identifies the ability of how fast a tire can stop on any given surface.
It will not be a dramatic increase, but enough that exotic car makers will use it. Remember a little here and a little there, will add up to a lot overall.

It makes sense, but only if you turn "rotational" forces into "linear" forces. but on a rotating axle/wheel combo, the forces are all "rotational"

but what happens on one side of the tire, the opposite is happening on the other side.

Applying the brakes is opposite of applying power. When you add power to the axle, the tires rotate, the entire axle wants to rotate in the opposite direction, you get "axle wrap" the leaf springs flex, and the yoke of the Diff goes up, this is why pinion angles are set the way they are, so that as the axle rotates up, the U-joints "line up"

when you apply the brakes, you get the opposite reaction. the yoke on the diff will rotate down. no matter where the caliper is on the axle, the force from braking will rotate the yoke/nose of the diff down. what that does to tire planting forces will depend on your suspension set up. Some cars "plant" the tires harder when the yoke rotates up. this is why cal-trac bars are so effective, they "lock up" the front segment of the leaf spring, and turn that axle rotational force into a downward push on the axle, which plants the tire harder.

I would think that you would need a "reverse cal trac" (top of leaf springs, on the rear segment instead of under leaf springs, on the front segment) set-up to make the axle plant downward when braking.

Anyway, with the other examples stated, I now understand "polar moment of inertia" I learned it as "rotational inertia" the further from the center of rotation something is, the more effort it takes to rotate it.

It's the same theory that allows a figure skater to enter a spin with their arms out, then pull everything in to "center mass" and their rotational speed increases.

**Photobucket sucks**
Re: Brake caliper position.... [Re: 70Cuda383] #1330444
11/06/12 02:12 PM
11/06/12 02:12 PM
Utah and Alaska
astjp2 Offline
master
astjp2  Offline
master

Utah and Alaska
Think of this concept...
2 identical weight balls, one is hollow, the other is solid. Which one will accelerate faster (slow down faster)?

Re: Brake caliper position.... [Re: astjp2] #1330445
11/06/12 02:13 PM
11/06/12 02:13 PM
Utah and Alaska
astjp2 Offline
master
astjp2  Offline
master

Utah and Alaska
Quote:

Think of this concept...
2 identical weight balls, one is hollow, the other is solid. Which one will accelerate faster (slow down faster)?

The solid one will. Anyone know why?

Re: Brake caliper position.... [Re: astjp2] #1330446
11/06/12 05:00 PM
11/06/12 05:00 PM
Bitopia
J
jcc Offline
jcc  Offline
J

Bitopia
Quote:

Quote:

Think of this concept...

yes, except you density of the material is not addressed and therefore a variable?

Last edited by jcc; 11/06/12 05:02 PM.

Reality check, that half the population is smarter then 50% of the people and it's a constantly contested fact.
Re: Brake caliper position.... [Re: jcc] #1330447
11/06/12 05:21 PM
11/06/12 05:21 PM
central CT
cudazappa Offline
super stock
cudazappa  Offline
super stock

central CT
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Think of this concept...

yes, except you density of the material is not addressed and therefore a variable?

Density isn't addressed because you could calculate it (derived value).

Essentially this is what we're talking about in this topic.

Because of the mass distribution is much greater in a ball rather than at the outside like the hollow sphere.

for the solid ball: I=(2mr^2)/5

I'm a little rusty on calculating for a sphere with a shell with "n" thickness. I want to say I=(2m(rmajor^2)-(rminor^2))/5

I know for a hollow sphere with a shell of infinitesimally small thickness its I=(2mr^2)/3

I'm not doing the calculus in typing. And my physics 1 notes are at home.

1971 Challenger
Re: Brake caliper position.... [Re: jcc] #1330448
11/06/12 06:45 PM
11/06/12 06:45 PM
Irving, TX
feets Offline
Senior Management
feets  Offline
Senior Management

Irving, TX
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Think of this concept...

Density is only a variable in your head when you start in with the critical questions.

It was described earlier as polar moment of inertia.
Weight centered will change it's rotation easier than weight spread out.
Think bowling ball vs barbell again.
In this instance the hollow ball is the same as the barbell. All the weight is on the outside. It will be harder to spin it up to speed as well as slowing it down afterwards.

We are brothers and sisters doing time on the planet for better or worse. I'll take the better, if you don't mind.
- Stu Harmon
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3