09/04/12 07:41 PM
09/04/12 07:41 PM
SoCal
Brian Hafliger Offline
master
Brian Hafliger  Offline
master

SoCal
Very true. The engine can run in terrible weather, but the CF will compensate for that. It will however affect the overall tune of the engine...in other words if you tune for terrible weather, and the run it in good weather it'll be very lean.

Get to know your dyno guy and others that have used him. Then make your decision.

Brian Hafliger
Re: Dyno Gurus Advice Needed!!! [Re: Brian Hafliger] #1297225
09/04/12 08:23 PM
09/04/12 08:23 PM
Sweet Home Alabama
M
MRMOPAR622 Offline OP
top fuel
MRMOPAR622  Offline OP
top fuel
M

Sweet Home Alabama
This is very helpful information so far. If we can all learn at least a little we will know we are getting honest numbers.Also having honest numbers on Horse-Power & Torque & weight of car is a Big + in getting the converter set up right.
Its also nice to know the new engine or new engine build is making the Horse-Power you paid for it to be.

"To Be The Man'You Have Got To Beat The Man" "T/D and Pro-Bracket Racer"
Re: Dyno Gurus Advice Needed!!! [Re: AndyF] #1297226
09/04/12 08:56 PM
09/04/12 08:56 PM
Oologah, Oklahoma
Big Squeeze Offline
pro stock
Big Squeeze  Offline
pro stock

Oologah, Oklahoma
Quote:

......There are a lot of keyboard clowns who yap about "happy dynos" and such. Most of them have never run a dyno before and can be ignored.....

....and there are a lot of keyboard clowns who yap about how much power their motor made on the dyno and such that apparently have never put one of their engines into a car and raced it and don't have an answer to why they won't post up a dyno sheet just because they think their crap don't stink because they write a few tech articles for a magazine......

If you can't handle the truth, you're living a lie.......
Re: Dyno Gurus Advice Needed!!! [Re: Brian Hafliger] #1297227
09/04/12 08:58 PM
09/04/12 08:58 PM
Delray beach, Florida
P
Performance Only Offline
top fuel
Performance Only  Offline
top fuel
P

Delray beach, Florida
i've dyno'd engines at several different facilities over the years that range from state of the art to the most basic bare bones types. i know of one shop that has a duct from their A/C going into the carb hat. they tell me horsepower sells engines. it does, but only when you can get the same power at the track.
it's one thing to calibrate the load cell, but that's only one of several things that will determine a correction factor and final numbers. i've been in facilities that don't even have a clue as to what a phsycrometer is. a dyno is only as good as the information that's fed into it. garbage in, garbage out. over the years i've seen many a member claim great dyno numbers, only to fall way short of expectaions at the track, one of those is fairly recent.
the best advice i can give is to ask the operator if the load cell is calibrated, check to make sure the baromter is accurate, take a wet bulb (phsycromter) reading, use the correct s/g reading for the ful being used, use a consistent rpm/ second while tuning, don't change in the middle of tuning. make sure the dyno repeats with no other changes being made. hopefully you'll get good, consistent numbers that the track will substantiate. i left a couple of other things out but you get the idea.

machine shop owner and engine builder
Re: Dyno Gurus Advice Needed!!! [Re: Performance Only] #1297228
09/04/12 09:50 PM
09/04/12 09:50 PM
Northern Indiana
Dunnuck Racing Offline
master
Dunnuck Racing  Offline
master

Northern Indiana
Back to the O P,if you find a dyno/ operator you trust and your car does not perform as well as it should there are things to consider.
Most dyno setups have very nice ignition and fuel systems on them. If you put a 600 hp engine in a car with stock fuel lines and a points distributor you may never run to its full potential .
there are other factors at work but you get the idea.

Re: Dyno Gurus Advice Needed!!! [Re: Performance Only] #1297229
09/04/12 09:53 PM
09/04/12 09:53 PM
Melbourne , Australia
LA360 Offline
master
LA360  Offline
master

Melbourne , Australia
Quote:

i've dyno'd engines at several different facilities over the years that range from state of the art to the most basic bare bones types. i know of one shop that has a duct from their A/C going into the carb hat. they tell me horsepower sells engines. it does, but only when you can get the same power at the track.
it's one thing to calibrate the load cell, but that's only one of several things that will determine a correction factor and final numbers. i've been in facilities that don't even have a clue as to what a phsycrometer is. a dyno is only as good as the information that's fed into it. garbage in, garbage out. over the years i've seen many a member claim great dyno numbers, only to fall way short of expectaions at the track, one of those is fairly recent.
the best advice i can give is to ask the operator if the load cell is calibrated, check to make sure the baromter is accurate, take a wet bulb (phsycromter) reading, use the correct s/g reading for the ful being used, use a consistent rpm/ second while tuning, don't change in the middle of tuning. make sure the dyno repeats with no other changes being made. hopefully you'll get good, consistent numbers that the track will substantiate. i left a couple of other things out but you get the idea.

Just out of interest, what is a Phsycrometer Dan? I have never heard of it

Alan Jones
Re: Dyno Gurus Advice Needed!!! [Re: LA360] #1297230
09/04/12 10:05 PM
09/04/12 10:05 PM
Bend,OR USA
C
Cab_Burge Offline
I Win
Cab_Burge  Offline
I Win
C

Bend,OR USA
Quote:

Quote:

Just out of interest, what is a Phsycrometer Dan? I have never heard of it

A dual bulb sling phsycrometer are used to determine the humidity, my first weather station had one instead of a cheap humidity gauge. You where instructed to wet one bulb and sling it around in the air your racing in for thirty seconds or so and take a reading on the difference between the wet and dry bulb, use the enclosed chart with it to get the humidity. Do that three times quickly to validate your results It use to be harder to keep weather records, now its push some buttons and store it

Mr.Cab Racing and winning with Mopars since 1964. (Old F--t, Huh)
Re: Dyno Gurus Advice Needed!!! [Re: Big Squeeze] #1297231
09/05/12 09:12 PM
09/05/12 09:12 PM
Virginia Beach, VA
O
Old School Offline
super stock
Old School  Offline
super stock
O

Virginia Beach, VA
Quote:

Quote:

......There are a lot of keyboard clowns who yap about "happy dynos" and such. Most of them have never run a dyno before and can be ignored.....

....and there are a lot of keyboard clowns who yap about how much power their motor made on the dyno and such that apparently have never put one of their engines into a car and raced it and don't have an answer to why they won't post up a dyno sheet just because they think their crap don't stink because they write a few tech articles for a magazine......

exactly what he said...

68 cuda formula S 588" bb 5sp
70 CUDA CONVERT 500" 5SP (SUBLIME)
70 CUDA CONVERT 500" 5SP (PLUMCRAZY):TOO MUCH HORSEPOWER, IS ALMOST ENOUGH!
Re: Dyno Gurus Advice Needed!!! [Re: Old School] #1297232
09/06/12 01:04 PM
09/06/12 01:04 PM
Central TEXAS!!!!
sr4440 Offline
super stock
sr4440  Offline
super stock

Central TEXAS!!!!
When someone leaves my dyno, they have a CD with all the data on it, RAW, corrected and every factor that went into getting those numbers. Along with a copy of the windyn software to look at it any way they want.

As far as slinging a phsycromter around, nope I don’t do it. The SF Powermark was made this decade and all weather readings are taken by sensors, in real time. In fact, if the air was to change in the middle of a pull (unlikely) then the correction factor would change. (raw numbers wouldn’t)

Since you are going to a dyno to collect data on how your engine runs, I can’t see a reason why you shouldn’t leave with a ***load of info.

Joe

Without Data, you’re just another guy with an opinion.
Re: Dyno Gurus Advice Needed!!! [Re: sr4440] #1297233
09/06/12 05:41 PM
09/06/12 05:41 PM
Sweet Home Alabama
M
MRMOPAR622 Offline OP
top fuel
MRMOPAR622  Offline OP
top fuel
M

Sweet Home Alabama
Since you are going to a dyno to collect data on how your engine runs, I can’t see a reason why you shouldn’t leave with a ***load of info.

That's what I am looking for when I have one dynoed...useful info.!

I know nothing about running or setting up a dyno,but wanted to get a little info. to make sure it was being done right. I have heard a lot of talk about Happy Dyno's and it never hurts to have a little knowledge of what's going on. I would hate to buy or have a engine built and they dyno the engine and it shows 800 hp and it only makes 650 hp.But after reading most post I feel my chances of getting a fairly honest dyno test results are a lots better.

"To Be The Man'You Have Got To Beat The Man" "T/D and Pro-Bracket Racer"
Page 2 of 2 1 2