09/06/14 11:00 PM
SoCal
MuuMuu101 Offline OP
I got lucky at Woodward!
MuuMuu101  Offline OP
I got lucky at Woodward!

SoCal
Quote:

You are just moving right along. You and your pals need to come help me with mine.

If it wasn't for my pal I wouldn't have nearly as much done. He's the one who knows how to do everything. I just turn a wrench.

Re: MuuMuu's 68 Dart... It's a Learning Process... [Re: MuuMuu101] #1267620
09/07/14 10:44 AM
09/07/14 10:44 AM
moparpollack Offline
Lil Herman
moparpollack  Offline
Lil Herman

Quote:

Quote:

You are just moving right along. You and your pals need to come help me with mine.

If it wasn't for my pal I wouldn't have nearly as much done. He's the one who knows how to do everything. I just turn a wrench.

It's not that hard, all it is is wrench turning.

Get back to work!

56 Plaza 63 D100 step side 67 Coronet, 68 Roadrunner, 69 Super Bees, 69 Coronet 500 convertible, 70 Roadrunner Post, 79 D150 360, and a severe case of Mopar a,d,d
Re: MuuMuu's 68 Dart... It's a Learning Process... [Re: moparpollack] #1267621
09/08/14 10:49 PM
09/08/14 10:49 PM
SoCal
MuuMuu101 Offline OP
I got lucky at Woodward!
MuuMuu101  Offline OP
I got lucky at Woodward!

SoCal
Got a little more done today... My friend made the lines that go from the MC to the prop valve and line lock for a quick mach up. The mounting bracket will be a plate connected to the MC bolt and sandwiched between the two. We ran out of lines and fittings today so tomorrow we're going to head to NAPA and see what they've got. We've already emptied out Autozone over the weekend even though they didn't have much.

I also started cleaning up and degreasing the LCA's. The stiffening plates should be here tomorrow so hopefully we can have the new bushings, pins, and plate welded in by Wed or Th.

While I was removing the distribution block today (after all the lines were cut), I wasn't paying attention while I was unscrewing the bracket that holds the block and it fell on my head. I only bled for a minute or so.

Re: MuuMuu's 68 Dart... It's a Learning Process... [Re: MuuMuu101] #1267622
09/12/14 12:37 AM
09/12/14 12:37 AM
SoCal
MuuMuu101 Offline OP
I got lucky at Woodward!
MuuMuu101  Offline OP
I got lucky at Woodward!

SoCal
So, I stopped by an offroading shop today to buy the last of the brake parts. I bought my T block and some "clips" to hold the hard lines across the body. The clips are way over built (they're machined aluminum parts) and were extremely stupid expensive so I hope I don't use all of them so I can return a majority of them.

I also went to OzHemi's house today after work and had him weld up my LCA braces and one of the bump stops that broke off one of the arms. It's crazy how there was literally no slop in either of the arms.

8268090-LCAbrace.jpg (151 downloads)
Re: MuuMuu's 68 Dart... It's a Learning Process... [Re: MuuMuu101] #1267623
09/13/14 03:02 AM
09/13/14 03:02 AM
SoCal
MuuMuu101 Offline OP
I got lucky at Woodward!
MuuMuu101  Offline OP
I got lucky at Woodward!

SoCal
Got some more work done today. I spent some time with the suspension while my friend worked on the lines a little bit more.

So suspension wise, my focus was on the LCA's. I was able to paint them, install the bushing and greasable pins, and install the bump stops (itty bitty ones from Energy Suspension). They came out pretty darn good. (The flash in a dark room makes them look like there's primer everywhere).

I was also able to install some rod end boots on my UCA's just as a little security precaution...

So for the brake lines we decided to go with the frame rail idea and here's the path we took...

The front to rear lines are going to mount on the inner side of the subframe connectors and connect to the back. The passenger side still isn't done but it's going to be made similar to the driver side.

Also as a cool, quick, little fact. I had 0.87" T-bars (which I believe are 340 car size) in my car just because it had AC. I just thought that was kind of neat.

Re: MuuMuu's 68 Dart... It's a Learning Process... [Re: MuuMuu101] #1267624
09/13/14 03:07 AM
09/13/14 03:07 AM
SoCal
MuuMuu101 Offline OP
I got lucky at Woodward!
MuuMuu101  Offline OP
I got lucky at Woodward!

SoCal
While my friend and I were working on my Dart, I had to go in for a little but when I walked back into my garage, my friend was talking to someone in the driveway. I asked my friend what's up and he said, "Some guy wants to buy your car." The guy was parked at the end of my driveway (blocking it completely) and standing next to a new Hyundai Genesis. My garage is perpendicular to my driveway and was about 10-20 ft away so he couldn't have seen much of the Dart. So I walk out a little more and said...

Me: "Howdy."

Stranger: "Is your car for sale?"

Me: "Which car?" (Hoping he'd say my '11 Scion tC or my mom's husband's '01 Focus in the driveway. Deep down inside I knew it was my Dart)

Stranger: "Your Dart."

Me: "Nope."

Stranger: "Awww, come on."

Stranger: "Not even for $10k?"

Stranger: "$10k Cash!"

Stranger: "Look I've got cash on hand!" (Pull $10k right out of his pocket)

Me: "Nope!" (I was started to get a little agitated at this point)

Stranger: "Fine..." (starts to get back into his car)

Me: "Adios."

I was probably a little bit of a jerk with my short responses I didn't really feel comfortable with a guy I don't even know, never seen, or talked to come and park onto my property wanting to buy my car that's always parked in my garage. He must have driven by my house a couple times to know what's in there. It felt a little stalker-ish and that really left a bad taste in my mouth. I'm a little over protective of my belongings and things I care about (family, privacy, home, etc.). The road to my house is on a steep incline and ends maybe 5-6 houses down so we don't get much traffic. Also, the car is parked in a closed garage most days so it rarely gets seen.

To me, it would have been more understandable if my car was actually running and driving and parked at a car cruise before someone asks about buying my car. I guess I wouldn't want to sell it in any other condition.

I have a weird emotional attachment to it. I've had my good and bad times with the car. Right now I'm in the middle of a huge build. I just installed an 8 3/4 that has been completely gone through. My friend is almost done redoing the brake lines. We're about to install the rest of a Hotchkis TVS. I've got a big brake kit ready to go into it. I've already invested way more than $10k. On top of that, selling it now would make the car pointless. I originally bought the Dart to learn the mechanics of cars by actually working on it. Why would I give up mid build and take the easy route out? I certainly wouldn't be learning as much as I am now. Plus it's my work that's going in the car and that's something I'd like to be proud of.

Anyways, I'm having fun with the car right now. I get to spend time with my friend and make something cool. Plus, this is my only hobby, at the moment, to keep me occupied while I'm on my summer break. Without the car, I'd go insane due to utter boredom.

It's kind of strange how he just through a value out without ever looking at the car up close. Idk, this is just a new experience for me, I guess.

Re: MuuMuu's 68 Dart... It's a Learning Process... [Re: MuuMuu101] #1267625
09/13/14 03:16 AM
09/13/14 03:16 AM
Mesa, Arizona
D
dart4forte Offline
I Live Here
dart4forte  Offline
I Live Here
D

Mesa, Arizona
Quote:

Got some more work done today. I spent some time with the suspension while my friend worked on the lines a little bit more.

So suspension wise, my focus was on the LCA's. I was able to paint them, install the bushing and greasable pins, and install the bump stops (itty bitty ones from Energy Suspension). They came out pretty darn good. (The flash in a dark room makes them look like there's primer everywhere).

[url=http://s1127.photobucket.com/user/muumuu101/media/1968%20Dodge%20Dart%20GT/completeLCA_zps608ea92a.jpg.html]

[/url]

I was also able to install some rod end boots on my UCA's just as a little security precaution...

So for the brake lines we decided to go with the frame rail idea and here's the path we took...

The front to rear lines are going to mount on the inner side of the subframe connectors and connect to the back. The passenger side still isn't done but it's going to be made similar to the driver side.

Also as a cool, quick, little fact. I had 0.87" T-bars (which I believe are 340 car size) in my car just because it had AC. I just thought that was kind of neat.

Why aren't you using armor sheathing on your break lines?

Re: MuuMuu's 68 Dart... It's a Learning Process... [Re: dart4forte] #1267626
09/13/14 03:31 AM
09/13/14 03:31 AM
SoCal
MuuMuu101 Offline OP
I got lucky at Woodward!
MuuMuu101  Offline OP
I got lucky at Woodward!

SoCal
Quote:

Idk... What would be the downside of not running them? All the lines are custom. I haven't seen any armor sheathing in stores.

Re: MuuMuu's 68 Dart... It's a Learning Process... [Re: MuuMuu101] #1267627
09/13/14 09:24 AM
09/13/14 09:24 AM
moparpollack Offline
Lil Herman
moparpollack  Offline
Lil Herman

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw=bra...or&_sacat=0

Why not use the factory configured brake lines? Cut and splice in the line lock and proportioning valve. Much simpler and safer. Did I mention safer?

56 Plaza 63 D100 step side 67 Coronet, 68 Roadrunner, 69 Super Bees, 69 Coronet 500 convertible, 70 Roadrunner Post, 79 D150 360, and a severe case of Mopar a,d,d
Re: MuuMuu's 68 Dart... It's a Learning Process... [Re: MuuMuu101] #1267628
09/13/14 11:55 AM
09/13/14 11:55 AM
Mesa, Arizona
D
dart4forte Offline
I Live Here
dart4forte  Offline
I Live Here
D

Mesa, Arizona
Quote:

Quote:

Idk... What would be the downside of not running them? All the lines are custom. I haven't seen any armor sheathing in stores.

You run the risk of road debris hitting line and either kink it or causing a rip. Had it happen to me, luck of the draw I guess. Lost my front brakes. You can buy it from Finelines.

Re: MuuMuu's 68 Dart... It's a Learning Process... [Re: dart4forte] #1267629
09/13/14 01:16 PM
09/13/14 01:16 PM
JERSEY
RJS Offline
master
RJS  Offline
master

JERSEY
Not saying this to be mean but that is a ton of "Over Engineering" but not in a good way.
Ron

Re: MuuMuu's 68 Dart... It's a Learning Process... [Re: RJS] #1267630
09/13/14 01:19 PM
09/13/14 01:19 PM
SoCal
MuuMuu101 Offline OP
I got lucky at Woodward!
MuuMuu101  Offline OP
I got lucky at Woodward!

SoCal
Thank you for your comments guys...

Re: MuuMuu's 68 Dart... It's a Learning Process... [Re: dart4forte] #1267631
09/13/14 08:38 PM
09/13/14 08:38 PM
moparpollack Offline
Lil Herman
moparpollack  Offline
Lil Herman

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

You run the risk of road debris hitting line and either kink it or causing a rip. Had it happen to me, luck of the draw I guess. Lost my front brakes. You can buy it from Finelines.

Lost the front brakes on my 67 Coronet from not having the armor on the line. It happened a few weeks after I did the repair thankfully at low speed. Since then every car I do gets new lines.

Re: MuuMuu's 68 Dart... It's a Learning Process... [Re: MuuMuu101] #1267632
09/18/14 10:04 PM
09/18/14 10:04 PM
SoCal
MuuMuu101 Offline OP
I got lucky at Woodward!
MuuMuu101  Offline OP
I got lucky at Woodward!

SoCal
Was doing some work on the Dart today. Got some brake clips in to hold the hard lines. Unfortunately I messed up and set myself back another week. Before I bought my brakes I had bought "restored" 73+ A body Drum brake spindles thinking they'd work with the Doctor Diff kit. Nope, I was stupid and didn't look over the website carefully. Now I've got to order some Repro disc brake spindles tonight. Anyways, after closer inspection, the threads on the spindles I have were a little banged up and had parts of it had been grinded. I've also been stressing too much over which wheels I should get.

This is going to be difficult. School starts a week from today. I've got to get this car on the road before Oct 25 (Fall Fling).

Re: MuuMuu's 68 Dart... It's a Learning Process... [Re: MuuMuu101] #1267633
09/22/14 09:40 PM
09/22/14 09:40 PM
SoCal
MuuMuu101 Offline OP
I got lucky at Woodward!
MuuMuu101  Offline OP
I got lucky at Woodward!

SoCal
Got some more work out today. I removed the driveshaft (making a big ATF mess ) and my friend and I cut the ends, measured what we need to, and the ends should be shipped to member Old Goat to have a new driveshaft made.

Also, we brought out a punch and a BFH for the pins and started hammering the back side so that we'd can start tightening them down. This method did work out great. Only problem we had was at a point the nut bottomed out on the threads before the pin fully seated in the K-frame so we added the oem washers underneath the Hotchkis washers. We still have full thread engagement on the nut (about 3-4 threads showing).

I've been juggling back and forth between Cass and I regarding tracking numbers. He had to drop ship them from the supplier so they may get here later in the week. Hopefully brakes will probably be done by Saturday. I'll do some quick measurements and I'll order my wheels.

Re: MuuMuu's 68 Dart... It's a Learning Process... [Re: MuuMuu101] #1267634
09/28/14 02:14 AM
09/28/14 02:14 AM
USA MO
C
cdoublejj Offline
cdoublejj  Offline
C

USA MO
Quote:

While my friend and I were working on my Dart, I had to go in for a little but when I walked back into my garage, my friend was talking to someone in the driveway. I asked my friend what's up and he said, "Some guy wants to buy your car." The guy was parked at the end of my driveway (blocking it completely) and standing next to a new Hyundai Genesis. My garage is perpendicular to my driveway and was about 10-20 ft away so he couldn't have seen much of the Dart. So I walk out a little more and said...

Me: "Howdy."

Stranger: "Is your car for sale?"

Me: "Which car?" (Hoping he'd say my '11 Scion tC or my mom's husband's '01 Focus in the driveway. Deep down inside I knew it was my Dart)

Stranger: "Your Dart."

Stranger: "Awww, come on."

Stranger: "Not even for $10k?"

Stranger: "$10k Cash!"

Stranger: "Look I've got cash on hand!" (Pull $10k right out of his pocket)

Me: "Nope!" (I was started to get a little agitated at this point)

Stranger: "Fine..." (starts to get back into his car)

Me: "Adios."

I was probably a little bit of a jerk with my short responses I didn't really feel comfortable with a guy I don't even know, never seen, or talked to come and park onto my property wanting to buy my car that's always parked in my garage. He must have driven by my house a couple times to know what's in there. It felt a little stalker-ish and that really left a bad taste in my mouth. I'm a little over protective of my belongings and things I care about (family, privacy, home, etc.). The road to my house is on a steep incline and ends maybe 5-6 houses down so we don't get much traffic. Also, the car is parked in a closed garage most days so it rarely gets seen.

To me, it would have been more understandable if my car was actually running and driving and parked at a car cruise before someone asks about buying my car. I guess I wouldn't want to sell it in any other condition.

I have a weird emotional attachment to it. I've had my good and bad times with the car. Right now I'm in the middle of a huge build. I just installed an 8 3/4 that has been completely gone through. My friend is almost done redoing the brake lines. We're about to install the rest of a Hotchkis TVS. I've got a big brake kit ready to go into it. I've already invested way more than $10k. On top of that, selling it now would make the car pointless. I originally bought the Dart to learn the mechanics of cars by actually working on it. Why would I give up mid build and take the easy route out? I certainly wouldn't be learning as much as I am now. Plus it's my work that's going in the car and that's something I'd like to be proud of.

Anyways, I'm having fun with the car right now. I get to spend time with my friend and make something cool. Plus, this is my only hobby, at the moment, to keep me occupied while I'm on my summer break. Without the car, I'd go insane due to utter boredom.

It's kind of strange how he just through a value out without ever looking at the car up close. Idk, this is just a new experience for me, I guess.

That guy must have really admired your handi work. I'd just have leveled with him sorry i want to keep it and on top of that your i don't know you and your blocking my drive way.

I know what what you mean/how you feel. You just never know people's motives these days.

Looking forward to more pics.

Re: MuuMuu's 68 Dart... It's a Learning Process... [Re: cdoublejj] #1267635
09/29/14 01:45 PM
09/29/14 01:45 PM
Wichita
G
GY3 Offline
master
GY3  Offline
master
G

Wichita
Nice work!

I used to have people follow me home with the '71 Cuda and ask if it was for sale all the time. Kinda creeped me out a few times..

Re: MuuMuu's 68 Dart... It's a Learning Process... [Re: MuuMuu101] #1267636
12/24/14 01:15 AM
12/24/14 01:15 AM
SoCal
MuuMuu101 Offline OP
I got lucky at Woodward!
MuuMuu101  Offline OP
I got lucky at Woodward!

SoCal
So, I should probably update this thread. I've been busy with school for the past 3 months so I haven't been able to work on the car till last weekend where I was able to loosely put the entire suspension together.

Tonight, I asked my friend to help me real quick. I wanted another set of eyes when looking at my Dr Diff disc brake kit as I don't think anyone has installed this on an A-body. Apparently there were contact issues with some other rear mounted calipers and these UCA's due to an added bend in the UCA. Of course, mine interfered as my calipers are humungous. So, we swapped spindles side-to-side and there was a good 1-2" of room between the caliper and the strut rod throughout the suspension's full range of motion. So, some brake lines are going to need to be moved around, but that shouldn't be a major problem. While waiting and thinking for a bit we took a detour to install the driveshaft.

So, the project is moving along...

Re: MuuMuu's 68 Dart... It's a Learning Process... [Re: MuuMuu101] #1267637
12/30/14 11:44 PM
12/30/14 11:44 PM
SoCal
MuuMuu101 Offline OP
I got lucky at Woodward!
MuuMuu101  Offline OP
I got lucky at Woodward!

SoCal
A little more work done today.

Re: MuuMuu's 68 Dart... It's a Learning Process... [Re: MuuMuu101] #1267638
12/31/14 12:01 AM
12/31/14 12:01 AM
moparpollack Offline
Lil Herman
moparpollack  Offline
Lil Herman

How's that 273 running?

Page 20 of 36 1 2 18 19 20 21 22 35 36