06/29/12 07:59 PM
06/29/12 07:59 PM
Oklahoma City OK
Cudajon Offline OP
pro stock
Cudajon  Offline OP
pro stock

Oklahoma City OK
First the A Arms and then following that the steering, keep reading.. In the April issue of MOPAR ACTION they did an article on upgrading the front end on a Cuda. A couple of years ago I installed a Firm Feel quick ratio manual steering box in my Cuda and my wife has refused to drive it since then,(That's bad?) 245x45x17 tires probably had a lot to do with it, 8P, so after I looked at the article I decided it was time, I'm going from manual steering to Power steering. I also upgraded the A Arms to Firm feels tubular, just like the article. Here is the stock front end.
Stock front end Not pretty, but who sees it? First step is to split the ball joint from the spindle..First problem the nifty tool they used will not work. The brake line is in the way. So unless you remove the line..I didn't want to do that here's the problem.
Brake line is in the way

So I broke out the old pickle fork and had it. This ruins the ball joint rubber so don't plan on reusing it.

Pickle for havoc.

Now you can unbolt the a frame and remove it. Firm feel provides anew bump stop so replace that now.

New bump stop

The A arms are marked so you know which side they go on.

New A arm

Now its a simple matter to bolt the new A Arm in. I set the offset at max caster as a starting place (Front bolt all the way back-rear all the way front) hard to explain but if you look theres a pic somewhere on what this means. Anyway it has to go to get aligned and setting anywhere is good enough for that.

Finished A arm.

Last edited by Cudajon; 07/01/12 03:44 PM.
Re: Manual to Power to Manual steering [Re: Cudajon] #1259490
06/29/12 08:34 PM
06/29/12 08:34 PM
Vancouver, WA
MoparMarq Offline
super stock
MoparMarq  Offline
super stock

Vancouver, WA
Could've just removed the caliper from the bracket and hung it out of the way so as to enable you to use the tool. Leaving the line connected.

I know it's already done, but besides the obvious damage to the rubber, which would probably get replaced anyway, doesn't the pickle fork sometimes do hidden damage to the ball joint itself? The tool pushes on the stud of the BJ to prevent damage to the "ball".

As an aside, you're lucky your wife - apparently - is a good enough driver that you trust her driving your car. A couple of years ago, mine backed her car out of the neighbor's driveway into a car that subsequently parked behind it, AFTER the woman had gone into the house to discuss something with her and the neighbor.
("Was the other woman's car's cloaking device on possibly, dear?")

Re: Manual to Power to Manual steering [Re: Cudajon] #1259491
06/29/12 09:02 PM
06/29/12 09:02 PM
Oklahoma City OK
Cudajon Offline OP
pro stock
Cudajon  Offline OP
pro stock

Oklahoma City OK
I have found out through experience that magazine articles often leave vital info out so here is my first hand with some pics. Before I started I wanted to get as many of the parts together as I could. I liked the March power steering pump so I decided that would be waht I would use, of course If I was gaonna put a nice chrome power steering pump on I needed to just go ahead and dress the engine while I was at it. I bought a new chrome alternator and the march brackets. I had to replace the front pulley to a double serpentine belt system so I bought that. I went ahead and installed this on the engine.Here is a before and after of the engine.

Before

After

Nother view

The radiator hose looked bad so I put a new chrome hose on there. Now for that power steering. Removing the Manual steering box is pretty easy. I went down to Autozone and rented their Pitman removal tool, came home unbolted the pitman arm after I aligned the front wheels to dead straight and pulled the pitman arm.

Not much room underneath.

It will swing outta the way. Next I unbolted the steering column and let it drop down. When I installed the quick ratio unit I also installed the flaming river universal joint in place of the Mopar piece. You simply unbolt it and then ease the steering wheel back to remove it from the connection. This coupler completely eliminates any slop in the steering and is a breeze to work with.

Manual universal coupler

You will have to unplug all the wires to the steering column so I just yanked it and layed it on the workbench. Next unbolt the steering box and it will work out pretty easy. Now to put in the power steering box. This is the stage two box from firm feel. Here is a side by side of the two boxs.

Side by side

You can see the power steering box is BIGGER. Heres some pics of trying to wiggle it in.

From the front

From the top

Engine coming up

I have Dougs 2" headers on the car and there was no room. I unbolted the drivers side engine mount and jacked the engine up (a lot) probably as far as it would go. The steering box barely fit in, but it did. I I then bolted the box in and let the engine back down. The steering box just barely touchs the number 5 cylinder header and I will put a dimple in there some time. The pitman arm is the same for the power box and the manual box on a 72 so I just bolted it up. The pitman arm is keyed so you cannot screw it up unless you try real hard. I did not know the power steering spline for the steering column was smaller till I went to reninstall the steering column. A quick call to flaming river and they had exactly what I needed.

Steering couple installed

The steering column for a power steering box is about 2.5 inches shorter than for a manual. The steering column is collapsable thats why it has that funky looking collar below the steering wheel. I've always figured if I have a wreck and hit the steering wheel hard enogh to collapse it I am going to be hurting big time so I wear my seat belt and don't want to test it out. The nylon pins that are in the column gave up the ghost years ago so I collapsed the column enough to line it up. I spent a lot of time detailing my steering column there was no way I was going to replace it for a power steering column. The new Flaming river universal coupler replace the manual one perfectly and I bolted everything back up. I couldn't find a nice steel braided pressure line so I went to Autozone and got a new one. They make several for the car and it took two trips to get the right one. I had some Russel steel braided line I could use for the return line, and I did. Installing the pressure line it looks funky, too many bends but it bends kinda easy so I just bent it till it laid down and looked neat.

Steering lines.

Some people have talked about how the March pump gets hot and the fluid foams up so I bought a powwer steering cooler and installed it while I was about it.

Pump lines and cooler

After checking all the lines connections, steering column is mounted, tight and plugged in, I fired it up. I had already put about half a quart of Valvoline power steering fluid in it and let it set for a day to kinda leak down and prime the pump and power box. After firing it up I added the rest of the quart while turning the wheel full left and right. It took about a quart and a half to top it off. Now My wife, son and I have fallin in love with the car again. Steers just as nice as my Lexus. If you want to change from power to manual all the info you need is here. Check the E Body parts from time to time all the stuff I removed will show up there. Good luck.