montana
P
pjc360 Offline OP
mopar
pjc360  Offline OP
mopar
P

montana
I changed the advance curve from a two stage curve to a single stage curve and it solved the issue.... I was running the purple and orange spring and now i am currently running two brown springs wich wih me having 18 degrees of mechanical advance brings all the timing in by 2500 rpm and it starts to come in around 1500 rpm. I think i might need a new distributer tho....
When i was putting the distributer back together i noticed that it would not turn freely kept hanging up on the pick up assembly. I also noticed the tip of my rotor has a scorge in it like its been hitting the inside button of the cap??? I can pull up and down on the rotor post and it will move and down a littl bit but i was told its normally for them to move a little bit. I dont know if my rotor was phasing causing this issue or not. How does a guy put these mopar distributers together the correct way without having it hang up on the pick up assembly? Should i buy a new pick up assembly? I also noticed getting my reluctor back on is a chore i had to wack it pretty hard with a rubber hammer.
I'm thinking about just buying a brand new mopar distributer because no one around here can tell me if its messed up or not?
Since changing to the 2 brown springs i took it for a drive and i noticed it feels like there is a powerband between 2000 rpm to about 3500 rpm it pulls much harder then it did running the purple and orange spring.
Is this normal? I just hope i am not messing anything up. The surge is totally gone now tho so i dont know wether the totor was phasing or if i had the advance timing not good enough or not? I need to learn more about rotor phasing and more about these distributers before i can answer what was going on with it.
Should i get a new pick up assembly? is it normal for it be a chore getting the reluctor back on these things? I know how to take them apart and change springs and shorten the mechanical advance and i know how to put them back together but other then that i dont know much about rotor phasing and some of the other problems these distributers have. Somone please explain or tell me what i should do to make sure this distributer is working properly.

Re: strange problem [Re: pjc360] #1233595
05/17/12 11:53 PM
05/17/12 11:53 PM
montana
P
pjc360 Offline OP
mopar
pjc360  Offline OP
mopar
P

montana
so no one knows?

Re: strange problem [Re: pjc360] #1233596
05/17/12 11:59 PM
05/17/12 11:59 PM
SD
Z
zrxkawboy Offline
super stock
zrxkawboy  Offline
super stock
Z

SD
Kinda hard to diagnose problems over the internet, but it just sounded like an ignition advance issue. Glad you're getting it sorted out.

So, do you mean the reluctor and pickup are physically hitting each other? Maybe I'm misunderstanding you. There should be about 0.008" gap.

It's Swifty! Swifty, you toad sucker!
Re: strange problem [Re: pjc360] #1233597
05/19/12 09:35 AM
05/19/12 09:35 AM
MI, usa
dvw Offline
master
dvw  Offline
master

MI, usa
With no load the metering rods may be in the wrong location in the jet. Vacuum holds the rods down. The spring under the piston raises the rod when there is less intake manifold vacuum. Test vacuum during cruise and stand still, they may be different. The timing of the rod lifting is controlled by changing the springs. The same as changing a power valve in a Holley. Changing the rod itself would be the same as drilling the PVCR in a Holley. Hope this helps.
Doug

Page 2 of 2 1 2