04/04/12 10:49 PM
04/04/12 10:49 PM
Utah and Alaska
astjp2 Offline
master
astjp2  Offline
master

Utah and Alaska
What airplanes? In 20 years of working on everything from a super cub to a 747, never see one. TIm

Quote:

Well, most airplane engines run fluid filled dampers. Assume the temp swings are much greater than ours. Have no clue what fluid is used, but it must have a pretty stable viscosity over a wide temp range. Fluid dampers rank pretty high on most blower motor builders lists.

Re: Best value / most effective balancers? [Re: polyspheric] #1208976
04/04/12 11:02 PM
04/04/12 11:02 PM
Utah and Alaska
astjp2 Offline
master
astjp2  Offline
master

Utah and Alaska
Wright radial engine: steel case (block) planatary nose gear box in the front and a centrifrugal supercharger on the back: no damper

Pratt & Whitney: Aluminum case, planatary nose gear box in the front and a centrifrugal supercharger on the back: no damper

Allison: Aluminum 60* V12 Spur gear drive, single overhead cam, roller rockers, 2 plugs per cylinder, it came with or without turbocharger, some came with centrifrugal blower and no damper.

Rolls Royce Merlin and Griffon: same configuration as the allison

Quote:

WW2 aircraft engines:
1. radial, low RPM (B29, P47)
2. V12 in-line, low RPM (P51 with Rolls engine: 6" stroke) and has inherent primary balance (same as in-line 6)

Re: Best value / most effective balancers? [Re: polyspheric] #1208977
04/05/12 06:29 AM
04/05/12 06:29 AM
NJ central
S
Scamp408 Offline
master
Scamp408  Offline
master
S

NJ central
Quote:

WW2 aircraft engines:
1. radial, low RPM (B29, P47)
2. V12 in-line, low RPM (P51 with Rolls engine: 6" stroke) and has inherent primary balance (same as in-line 6)

Thats what I was told a german design given to japan for the fighter planes. He could be wrong but half the people on some of the web forums are.

Re: Best value / most effective balancers? [Re: Scamp408] #1208978
04/06/12 08:37 AM
04/06/12 08:37 AM
NY
F
Fluidampr1 Offline
Fluidampr1  Offline
F

NY
Hi Guys,

My name is Ivan and I work for Fluidampr. I am not here to push product but to provide facts about Fluidampr dampers and answer any questions you have.

Fluidampr products use a unique viscous design that we invented in 1946 for diesel applications. In the mid 80's we developed dampers for gas racing engines and street rods.

Most dampers use an elastomeric design, basically rubber bonded between sections of steel. This essentially is a tuned absorber and will only do its job effectively at a pre-determined narrow bandwidth. Fluidampr's viscous design incorporates an internal inertia ring shearing through a thin layer of viscous silicone. Viscous silicone is 45,000 times thicker than a 30w motor oil and is very thermally stable and will not break down like rubber. A dampers job is to absorb torsional vibrations (harmonics) and take that energy turning it to heat and dissapating out the damper faces. With elastomeric dampers the rubber will eventually break down and if not repaired will cause the damper to seperate and worse case grenading in the front of the engine. With Fluidampr's design this cannot happen and as long as you do not lose the press fit on the bore, the Fluidampr will last for the life of the engine. The other big advantage of a Fluidampr is that it is able to combat harmonics at all RPM's vs. the pre-determined bandwidth found with elastomeric dampers. Almost all heavy duty diesel engines use viscous dampers. We are OEM suppliers to many of these companies. The only reason car and light duty manufacturers do not use viscous dampers is from a cost standpoint. There a couple of high end OEM gas engines now using viscous dampers such as Ford GT40, Audi R8, Lamborghini Gallardo.

Please let me know if you have any questions about dampers, torsional vibrations, or Fluidampr product and I will be happy to answer.

Re: Best value / most effective balancers? [Re: BradH] #1208979
04/06/12 09:35 AM
04/06/12 09:35 AM
S.E. Michigan
ZIPPY Offline
I Live Here
ZIPPY  Offline
I Live Here

S.E. Michigan
Quote:

Not sure if I've ever heard a bad thing about ATI (except they're not cheap).

ATI does sell cosmetic blems at a cost savings

Rich H.

Esse Quam Videri

Re: Best value / most effective balancers? [Re: Fluidampr1] #1208980
04/07/12 12:11 AM
04/07/12 12:11 AM
Taxes & Virus's R-US, NY
Dragula Offline
I Live Here
Dragula  Offline
I Live Here

Taxes & Virus's R-US, NY
Quote:

Hi Guys,

My name is Ivan and I work for Fluidampr. I am not here to push product but to provide facts about Fluidampr dampers and answer any questions you have.

Fluidampr products use a unique viscous design that we invented in 1946 for diesel applications. In the mid 80's we developed dampers for gas racing engines and street rods.

Most dampers use an elastomeric design, basically rubber bonded between sections of steel. This essentially is a tuned absorber and will only do its job effectively at a pre-determined narrow bandwidth. Fluidampr's viscous design incorporates an internal inertia ring shearing through a thin layer of viscous silicone. Viscous silicone is 45,000 times thicker than a 30w motor oil and is very thermally stable and will not break down like rubber. A dampers job is to absorb torsional vibrations (harmonics) and take that energy turning it to heat and dissapating out the damper faces. With elastomeric dampers the rubber will eventually break down and if not repaired will cause the damper to seperate and worse case grenading in the front of the engine. With Fluidampr's design this cannot happen and as long as you do not lose the press fit on the bore, the Fluidampr will last for the life of the engine. The other big advantage of a Fluidampr is that it is able to combat harmonics at all RPM's vs. the pre-determined bandwidth found with elastomeric dampers. Almost all heavy duty diesel engines use viscous dampers. We are OEM suppliers to many of these companies. The only reason car and light duty manufacturers do not use viscous dampers is from a cost standpoint. There a couple of high end OEM gas engines now using viscous dampers such as Ford GT40, Audi R8, Lamborghini Gallardo.

Please let me know if you have any questions about dampers, torsional vibrations, or Fluidampr product and I will be happy to answer.

If its so efficient, why does it have to weigh more than the stock damper? Doesn't seem right to me.

And I can't remember on my diesel, if it was a fluid type, but it let go after 280k and took out my serp belt and a few other things under the hood. Tried to get another, and you guys wanted 10 days for a new one...Couldn't be without the truck that long.

And why do we use viscous couplings in AWD vehicles....Because when a wheel slips and transmits that slippage to the transfer box, it heats up the silicon fluid, and it expands and locks in the other wheels in the drive line...Can't say its thermally inert when we use them everyday in AWD vehicles to do just the opposite, sorry.

'70 Cuda,...605 EFI Hemi Street Car (6.20 best pass, 1.33 60ft)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WYw6RA-k5Bk (6.25 at 108.75mph from inside car)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3zQEb9uxFng (6.25 at 108mph from outside car)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JCvfzsC4NgM (9.9)

'66 Barracuda AWB Stretched nose Blown 440 Car in build stage

'71 Duster Drag Car 400 Low Deck 512 best 6.002 at 115.44mph
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Znuo3jMUXTk
Re: Best value / most effective balancers? [Re: Dragula] #1208981
04/07/12 02:31 AM
04/07/12 02:31 AM
Kalispell Mt.
H
HotRodDave Offline
I Live Here
HotRodDave  Offline
I Live Here
H

Kalispell Mt.
Quote:

Quote:

Hi Guys,

If its so efficient, why does it have to weigh more than the stock damper? Doesn't seem right to me.

And I can't remember on my diesel, if it was a fluid type, but it let go after 280k and took out my serp belt and a few other things under the hood. Tried to get another, and you guys wanted 10 days for a new one...Couldn't be without the truck that long.

And why do we use viscous couplings in AWD vehicles....Because when a wheel slips and transmits that slippage to the transfer box, it heats up the silicon fluid, and it expands and locks in the other wheels in the drive line...Can't say its thermally inert when we use them everyday in AWD vehicles to do just the opposite, sorry.

It is not the heat that makes a viscous coupling "engage" upon slipage, it is because the friction of trying to bend the mass of fluid rapidly. If you put your finger in a big bowl of the stuff you can move your finger through it easily but try to stir it real fast with your finger and it is very hard, nearly impossible to stir fast and the faster you try to stir it the harder it is to stir at all. I tried it with cold fluid (about 40*F) and warm fluid (about 120*F) and it feels the same so I doubt the temp change has a significan effect on the coupling, if it was significant it would not work good in a fluid coupling because it would be too tight when cold and too loose when hot or vise versa.

I am not causing global warming, I am just trying to hold off a impending Ice Age!

Re: Best value / most effective balancers? [Re: HotRodDave] #1208982
04/07/12 02:34 AM
04/07/12 02:34 AM
Kalispell Mt.
H
HotRodDave Offline
I Live Here
HotRodDave  Offline
I Live Here
H

Kalispell Mt.
There are different viscous fluids available that act differently BTW

Oh yeah, while I do understand how the viscous coupling in traction devices works I make no claim weather a rubber or fluid damper works better or worse than the other

I am not causing global warming, I am just trying to hold off a impending Ice Age!

Re: Best value / most effective balancers? [Re: HotRodDave] #1208983
04/09/12 03:29 AM
04/09/12 03:29 AM
Melbourne , Australia
LA360 Offline
master
LA360  Offline
master

Melbourne , Australia
I am putting a Powerbond onto my street 360 (it should still make 450-470hp) purely because the price was right. The Pro Street (Cyco Systems) are a great harmonic dampener and I have used a few. I was being a bit of a tight wad with this engine (it's built up out of parts I had lying around), otherwise it would have a Pro Street Balancer on it. If I was building anything racey I would run an ATI, and nothing else!
Romac sold the timing set and balancer line to JP Piston in SA when the original owner sold everything up (they were originally QLD based), so long as the quality is still there, the Romac dampener is another option also.

Alan Jones
Page 2 of 2 1 2