Badham Co.
Y
Y3 70 BEE Offline
super stock
Y3 70 BEE  Offline
super stock
Y

Badham Co.
I don't care if it real or not but I can't believe someone has not mentioned the dodge emblem on the grill. lol

Re: For all you 70 Super Bee guys - NEVER say never! [Re: A12] #1204928
04/02/12 12:15 AM
04/02/12 12:15 AM
Woodburn ,Oregon
T
TwoLane Offline OP
TwoLane  Offline OP
T

Woodburn ,Oregon
A12- again- cool car. that (your pic) is more intriguing than mine. I guess I should have posted this as "Check out my 70 Super Bee emblem F***up" instead.

I'm done beating this horse- stuff happens on cars however they do.. I bought this with the emblems where they were and that's that. I don't really care how they may have gotten there.

I'm actually glad that I don't own it anymore for the sole reason of having to explain why the emblems are on the car IE: wrong, put on , changed hood, or whatever people want to dream up.

Re: For all you 70 Super Bee guys - NEVER say never! [Re: TwoLane] #1204929
04/02/12 12:19 AM
04/02/12 12:19 AM
new berlin wisconsin
M
Mr T2U Offline
master
Mr T2U  Offline
master
M

new berlin wisconsin
re-read my post above about my car. unusual things can happen to cars before they are ever delivered to the first owner.
basicly my car was a 1 owner low miles car purchased NEW with 15 miles on the car. i ended up having different colored fenders, door skins replaced and 1/4 panels repaired before the original owner ever saw it to buy. i have repainted 100's of volaries due to industrial fallout before the owners ever purchased there cars. i have removed dodge parts from plymouths, plymouth parts off chryslers, chrysler parts off plymouths that were assembled wrong. i have welded and bondoed trim holes on cars that had the wrong trim installed at the factory. i have replaced damaged sheetmetal on cars that were wrecked when they rolled off the trucks damaged. i have traded doors, hoods, bumpers, wheels and tires between cars because the new owners wanted factory options on there cars when they weren't originally installed on them. i have even seen owners buying 2 new cars with different size motors and having the engines and trans swapped to save on insurance. then they put the other car on consignment to sell.
just because you THINK it's original because the SECOND owner told you so. think again. the only way to be 100% sure something is original is to have photo documentation of the car the moment it rolls off the line.
to all of the people doing factory original restos. my hat is tipped to you for all of your hard work you do. the problem is you really don't know how the car rolled off the line, no one knows. it's just a educated guess at best. cars are assembled wrong at the factory, they get damaged, and sometimes repaired, before they ever make it to the dealerships. with all of the work on paint dabs on the suspension bolts as it left the factory. in all of my years of working at new car dealers, started working at a plymouth dealer in 76. those paint dabs put on nuts and bolts. THE NEW CAR PREP MAN DOES THAT STEP. when they roll off the line there isn't any paint on the bolts. same thing with cotter pins. they are installed by the new car prep man.

perception is 90% of reality
Re: For all you 70 Super Bee guys - NEVER say never! [Re: Y3 70 BEE] #1204930
04/02/12 11:58 AM
04/02/12 11:58 AM
Kelowna, B.C. Canada
D
DPelletier Offline
I Live Here
DPelletier  Offline
I Live Here
D

Kelowna, B.C. Canada
Quote:

I don't care if it real or not but I can't believe someone has not mentioned the dodge emblem on the grill. lol

...for the record, the grills are painted incorrectly as well.

Dave

1970 Super Bee 440 Six Pack 1974 'Cuda 2008 Ram 3500 Diesel 2006 Ram 3500 Diesel 2004.5 Ram 2500 Diesel 2003 Ram 3500 Diesel 2006 Durango Limited [url] http://1970superbee.piczo.com [/url]
Re: For all you 70 Super Bee guys - NEVER say never! [Re: blkbee6pack] #1204931
04/02/12 12:26 PM
04/02/12 12:26 PM
Kelowna, B.C. Canada
D
DPelletier Offline
I Live Here
DPelletier  Offline
I Live Here
D

Kelowna, B.C. Canada
Quote:

If it was a 6pack car with a buldge hood it would have no call numbers for engine size. The factory ad could be for a 6pack with radio delete?

Correct.

Dave

1970 Super Bee 440 Six Pack 1974 'Cuda 2008 Ram 3500 Diesel 2006 Ram 3500 Diesel 2004.5 Ram 2500 Diesel 2003 Ram 3500 Diesel 2006 Durango Limited [url] http://1970superbee.piczo.com [/url]
Re: For all you 70 Super Bee guys - NEVER say never! [Re: TwoLane] #1204932
04/02/12 12:40 PM
04/02/12 12:40 PM
Kelowna, B.C. Canada
D
DPelletier Offline
I Live Here
DPelletier  Offline
I Live Here
D

Kelowna, B.C. Canada
Quote:

A12- again- cool car. that (your pic) is more intriguing than mine. I guess I should have posted this as "Check out my 70 Super Bee emblem F***up" instead.

I'm done beating this horse- stuff happens on cars however they do.. I bought this with the emblems where they were and that's that. I don't really care how they may have gotten there.

I'm actually glad that I don't own it anymore for the sole reason of having to explain why the emblems are on the car IE: wrong, put on , changed hood, or whatever people want to dream up.

Here are the possibilities;

- 1) the wrong fenders were installed at the factory

- 2) the wrong hood was installed at the factory

- 3) car was damaged and repaired using wrong hood OR fenders prior to the original sale

- 4) the original selling dealer added the fender badges

- 5) one of the first two owners swapped the hood or fenders off of another 'Bee.

- 6) one of the first two owners drilled holes and added the fender emblems

- 7) Aliens did it just to add another element to the bag of mysteries like cattle mutilations and crop circles

...Now all you need to do is figure out which is most LIKELY.

Me?, I'll believe the OP when he says the fender bolts were unmolested. I'll say a hood swap is unlikely if that really is the red "carb air" knob we see in that pic. That leaves 1,4,6 &7....and since I'm not really buying into the little green men theory, I'd say that leaves 1,4 & 6 and 1 and 6 are the most likely IMO.

...of course, we will never know for sure.

Dave

Re: For all you 70 Super Bee guys - NEVER say never! [Re: DPelletier] #1204933
04/02/12 12:56 PM
04/02/12 12:56 PM
N.E. OHIO, USA
A12 Offline
Too Many Posts
A12  Offline
Too Many Posts

N.E. OHIO, USA
I like and I'm going with #7

Re: For all you 70 Super Bee guys - NEVER say never! [Re: A12] #1204934
04/02/12 01:02 PM
04/02/12 01:02 PM
N.E. OHIO, USA
A12 Offline
Too Many Posts
A12  Offline
Too Many Posts

N.E. OHIO, USA
still leaves the DODGE emblem as pointed out....so which model had the DODGE emblem in the grille???? Would that model also have the fender callouts too?

Re: For all you 70 Super Bee guys - NEVER say never! [Re: A12] #1204935
04/02/12 01:04 PM
04/02/12 01:04 PM
NJ-USA
H
HPMike Offline
master
HPMike  Offline
master
H

NJ-USA
Im also of the opinion tha the wrong fenders were installed...But...It probably wasnt a mistake. Maybe there were no undrilled fenders on hand. And rather than fill the holes it was much easier to just install the emblems and call it a day. I think stuff like this happened all the time. Especially back then, when there wasnt as much scrutiny as you would find today.

As the cars were built they used the parts they were "supposed" to, but if there was a shortage then reasonable means were used to keep the line moving. In a case like this, installing a few extra emblems definitely falls under reasonable means...

MB

Re: For all you 70 Super Bee guys - NEVER say never! [Re: HPMike] #1204936
04/02/12 02:01 PM
04/02/12 02:01 PM
N.E. OHIO, USA
A12 Offline
Too Many Posts
A12  Offline
Too Many Posts

N.E. OHIO, USA
Quote:

Im also of the opinion tha the wrong fenders were installed...But...It probably wasnt a mistake. Maybe there were no undrilled fenders on hand. And rather than fill the holes it was much easier to just install the emblems and call it a day. I think stuff like this happened all the time. Especially back then, when there wasnt as much scrutiny as you would find today.

As the cars were built they used the parts they were "supposed" to, but if there was a shortage then reasonable means were used to keep the line moving. In a case like this, installing a few extra emblems definitely falls under reasonable means...

MB

Mike, with all of the broadcast sheets and fender tag/build tags starting in Body-in-White to the final control and all of the QC I just don't see that happening but that's just my opinion. People say there was "no quality" or "quality control" but I know there was. When I ordered my '69 road runner (photo earlier in this post) it came just like I ordered it and no issues when it arrived. On of my friends ordered a '68 Hemi road runner the year before and it was delivered just like he ordered and no issues on delivery and another friend ordered a '69 4-speed road runner one month after I did and again no issues. I know that's only three examples but over the years during that time I never heard anyone that didn't get what they ordered or had something odd like extra emblems or they were out of 383 4-barrels so they put in a.......going off the deep end on that but what I mean is that if you can't vouch for how it was delivered then it's all a guess or what you want to believe.

Now I will NEVER be able to prove my A12 road runner came with GTX trim even with the fact there are 48 trim holes in the exact same place as my '69 GTX and the fact that the trim clips slide on the back of the trim so the holes could be off by an 1/8" to 6 inches if someone other than the factory put the holes in that is still not proof that the dealer or owner did them....I wasn't there when the car arrived and I haven't found the original owner....all just speculation

MikeR

Re: For all you 70 Super Bee guys - NEVER say never! [Re: A12] #1204937
04/02/12 02:16 PM
04/02/12 02:16 PM
Sacramento CA
M
Morty426 Offline
master
Morty426  Offline
master
M

Sacramento CA
Quote:

Quote:

MB

Mike, with all of the broadcast sheets and fender tag/build tags starting in Body-in-White to the final control and all of the QC I just don't see that happening but that's just my opinion. People say there was "no quality" or "quality control" but I know there was. When I ordered my '69 road runner (photo earlier in this post) it came just like I ordered it and no issues when it arrived. On of my friends ordered a '68 Hemi road runner the year before and it was delivered just like he ordered and no issues on delivery and another friend ordered a '69 4-speed road runner one month after I did and again no issues. I know that's only three examples but over the years during that time I never heard anyone that didn't get what they ordered or had something odd like extra emblems or they were out of 383 4-barrels so they put in a.......going off the deep end on that but what I mean is that if you can't vouch for how it was delivered then it's all a guess or what you want to believe.

Now I will NEVER be able to prove my A12 road runner came with GTX trim even with the fact there are 48 trim holes in the exact same place as my '69 GTX and the fact that the trim clips slide on the back of the trim so the holes could be off by an 1/8" to 6 inches if someone other than the factory put the holes in that is still not proof that the dealer or owner did them....I wasn't there when the car arrived and I haven't found the original owner....all just speculation

MikeR

I speak of a 1970 Hemi cuda that was delivered with incorrect interior (leather ordered - car had vinyl) and missing the passenger side mirror. Both are documented with the original paperwork.

I can also tell you that while truck shopping in 99 I found a new 99 Dodge with a leather interior door panel on one side and a cloth interior panel on the other.

I think the factory made plenty of errors.

Re: For all you 70 Super Bee guys - NEVER say never! [Re: Morty426] #1204938
04/02/12 02:25 PM
04/02/12 02:25 PM
MG, Brazil
v8punch Offline
enthusiast
v8punch  Offline
enthusiast

MG, Brazil
Some years ago(I'm not sure but probably 15 or more years), a car factory that i use to work did a car with 2 doors one side and 1 door at the other side, and the car goes until the end of assembly line... a hood or fender will be not big deal.

Last edited by v8punch; 04/02/12 02:27 PM.
Re: For all you 70 Super Bee guys - NEVER say never! [Re: TwoLane] #1204939
04/02/12 02:55 PM
04/02/12 02:55 PM
Sterling Heights, Michigan 483...
daniel_depetro Offline
pro stock
daniel_depetro  Offline
pro stock

Sterling Heights, Michigan 483...
Quote:

... I pulled the nose off just for something to do when I was 16 ( I was intrigued as to how the bumpers came off) The fenders bolts still had paint on them- no sign of being removed (paint cracks/missing paint on bolts).

I find this to be the most interesting comment in the entire thread.
I sure am jealous of you people with photographic memories!
I remember a lot of things about how my cars were (or are) until I look at the photos or just go out in the garage and look... Suddenly things that I knew were perfect instantly become not so nice, or mounted/installed/or are altogether different than what I swore was there.

1969 Dodge Super Bee A12 (440 Six Pack, 4-speed, Dana 60 4.10)

1972 Plymouth Road Runner (400, 4-speed, 8.75" 3.23)

1974 Plymouth Duster 360 (360, 4-speed, 8.75" 3.23)
Re: For all you 70 Super Bee guys - NEVER say never! [Re: v8punch] #1204940
04/02/12 02:57 PM
04/02/12 02:57 PM
N.E. OHIO, USA
A12 Offline
Too Many Posts
A12  Offline
Too Many Posts

N.E. OHIO, USA
I knew this would release a firestorm of ........this seems to be the place to wait and what to do as they come in

Maybe someone will finally prove my A12 road runner really did come with GTX trim from the factory, I mean with all of the mistakes the factory made with such low quality control...

7148120-Photo09.jpg (52 downloads)
Re: For all you 70 Super Bee guys - NEVER say never! [Re: A12] #1204941
04/02/12 02:59 PM
04/02/12 02:59 PM
NJ-USA
H
HPMike Offline
master
HPMike  Offline
master
H

NJ-USA
Quote:

Quote:

MB

MikeR

With all due respect Mike, are you really willing to go out on that limb and say that EVERY car came right off the assembly line with it's all correct parts that it was supposed to have? Heck, Id even think there were "suitable substitutes" for certain conditions where due to part shortages or some other scenario.

Quick story.

I bought a new Dodge Durango in 1999. The next morning when I went to get in the truck I noticed that the "V8Magnum" emblems were missing on the front fenders! No evidence of them ever having them either... Complained to the dealer and they said there were a few that they delivered with that problem. They supplied me the emblems and I stuck em on.

This was in 1999..It couldn't have happened in '69 also??

MB

Re: For all you 70 Super Bee guys - NEVER say never! [Re: HPMike] #1204942
04/02/12 03:07 PM
04/02/12 03:07 PM
N.E. OHIO, USA
A12 Offline
Too Many Posts
A12  Offline
Too Many Posts

N.E. OHIO, USA
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

MB

MikeR

With all due respect Mike, are you really willing to go out on that limb and say that EVERY car came right off the assembly line with it's all correct parts that it was supposed to have? Heck, Id even think there were "suitable substitutes" for certain conditions where due to part shortages or some other scenario.

Quick story.

I bought a new Dodge Durango in 1999. The next morning when I went to get in the truck I noticed that the "V8Magnum" emblems were missing on the front fenders! No evidence of them ever having them either... Complained to the dealer and they said there were a few that they delivered with that problem. They supplied me the emblems and I stuck em on.

This was in 1999..It couldn't have happened in '69 also??

MB

Mike no disrespect taken, but you came up with a perfect example of what is believable as to what may or may not have changed with a two TITLED owner car that could end up being who knows how many owners on the OP's car. YOU bought the Durango NEW and you noticed the missing emblems. If you didn't install them then what would the third owner think or how could they prove that "some" were missing the emblems?

I can't prove anything on my A12 rr because I didn't buy it new, just my opinion about all of this.

Re: For all you 70 Super Bee guys - NEVER say never! [Re: HPMike] #1204943
04/02/12 03:29 PM
04/02/12 03:29 PM
Kelowna, B.C. Canada
D
DPelletier Offline
I Live Here
DPelletier  Offline
I Live Here
D

Kelowna, B.C. Canada
Quote:

MB

I never said WHY they may have used the wrong fenders, but your scenario is quite plausible IMO.

Dave

Re: For all you 70 Super Bee guys - NEVER say never! [Re: A12] #1204944
04/02/12 03:39 PM
04/02/12 03:39 PM
Pangaea
B5 Bee Offline
master
B5 Bee  Offline
master

Pangaea
It's difficult to prove any mistake by the factory. Sure they happened but no way to document most of them.

A well known confirmed mistake was the two burnt orange Superbirds. They made it thru paint before the error was discovered. The decision was made to send them on down the line instead of doing a repaint.

Emblem changes have been an easy modification for years.
-A pal of mine added the 383Magnum fender emblems to his F6 N96 '69 Super Bee. This was back in 1990, he was the second owner. I'm sure later owners may have thought it was a factory miscue and are thinking 'NEVER say never!'.
-My '70 B5 Bee, that I've had since 1992, has the Super Bee emblem on the N96 scoops, not the 440 call outs. You can see on the inside of the scoops where the 440 emblem holes had been filled. No doubt it was an attempt for stealth by a prior owner, or was it, 'NEVER say never!'.

Re: For all you 70 Super Bee guys - NEVER say never! [Re: A12] #1204945
04/02/12 03:51 PM
04/02/12 03:51 PM
Kelowna, B.C. Canada
D
DPelletier Offline
I Live Here
DPelletier  Offline
I Live Here
D

Kelowna, B.C. Canada
Quote:

still leaves the DODGE emblem as pointed out....so which model had the DODGE emblem in the grille???? Would that model also have the fender callouts too?

Neither the Superbee nor the R/T used the grills with the DODGE emblem. They were commonly replaced parts (very fragile) with most replacements coming from the bread and butter Deluxe, 440 and 500 models. I've been unable to ascertain (due to the fact so many have been swapped) what the exact pattern of grill paints etc. corresponded to the various models. I BELIEVE that the R/T's and Superbees were the only ones to get the ones as pictured below and I also believe that the 440 model cars got "all argent" grills.

....of course, that doesn't mean some didn't squeek through with incorrect grills as HPMike has suggested...but most that are sporting the wrong grills are just because someone used replacements from another model Coronet.

Member Andy C's survivor 'Bee;

Dave

Last edited by DPelletier; 04/02/12 04:24 PM.

Re: For all you 70 Super Bee guys - NEVER say never! [Re: DPelletier] #1204946
04/02/12 03:52 PM
04/02/12 03:52 PM
Kelowna, B.C. Canada
D
DPelletier Offline
I Live Here
DPelletier  Offline
I Live Here
D

Kelowna, B.C. Canada
Another survivor;

Dave

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5