bigfork mn
D
dragram440 Offline
super stock
dragram440  Offline
super stock
D

bigfork mn
I live at the end of a 3/4 mile dead end road in the country. My closest neighbor is 1/2 mile away! I like to run the car with open headers after the bar just because I can!

67' charger 499 RB 10.57 at 127
Re: RACE CARS AND YOUR NEIGHBORHOODS [Re: dragram440] #1186460
02/27/12 03:10 PM
02/27/12 03:10 PM
Manassas, VA USA
Scamp451 Offline
mopar
Scamp451  Offline
mopar

Manassas, VA USA
We moved into this house in November 2002. A month prior, the trans grenaded in my Scamp. I had no spare which was not a concern at the time since we were trying to get packed up and move after selling the old house. I left the car as is and put it in the garage until spring time came. One Saturday, I threw in the new trans and fired it up on jackstands in the garage (open headers) and let it idle enough to warm up, and fired it again to drive it up on the trailer about 7:30pm.

Next morning I am outside tinkering around the yard when my neighbor yells over to me: Hey do you have a race car over there???

Oh great... heeere we go.

I said yes, and asked it was too loud or too late (not trying to make enemies early). He replied: oh, no, no problem, it sounds good! Where do you race, I would like to come and watch sometime!

Talk about a happy ending!

Re: RACE CARS AND YOUR NEIGHBORHOODS [Re: Scamp451] #1186461
02/27/12 03:15 PM
02/27/12 03:15 PM
Sunnyvale, CA
Jeepmon Offline
master
Jeepmon  Offline
master

Sunnyvale, CA
I figured this conversation would be fitting for this thread...

Quote:

Conversations in suburbia

Background: I live in a suburb of Sacramento called Roseville in a series of track houses that were built in the mid 80s. Ages range from early 30s to mid 50s. Lots of kids, dogs, a school down the street etc. I'm at the end of a cul-de-sac.

So Sunday morning I pull the Camaro out of the garage to stare at it and masturbate. (the cars does it for me) It's pretty loud and the F1 chirps pretty good. My neighbor (late 40s, 2 kids, mowing his grass with safety glasses on) walks through his manacured hedge to check it out. This conversation follows:

N-Morning Dave! Wow is this a '66? This thing is wicked!

Me- Hey Mike, nope it's a '67- the first year it was made. I'm glad you like it.

N-Aw sweet! So what's under the hood?

Me-(popping the hood) It's just got a small block Chevy with what's called a Procharger supercharger. This big polished guy compresses air into a cooler and then into the engine.

N-Just like a turbo. Yep

Me- (avoiding what will be an hour long conversation) ............Exactly.

N-Yeah, when I got the Saab I ordered the turbo on there. When you get that thing pointed where you wanna go and that turbo thing gets going..........(insert weird whistle sound) .........well let me just say-it's fast. These guys made jets you know.

Me-yep. yes they did.................awesome stuff man.

.............awkward silence...............

N- well I'll let you get to it. Gotta tame the bush over here!

Me-yeah I'm gonna try to get laid this weekend too.

N-(from probably 30 feet) Huh? what's that?

Me- Nothing man! Keep that Saab shiny side up buddy!

N-(ultra white guy thumbs up)

They say that every block has "that car guy on it". If you can't identify him, it's you.

Re: RACE CARS AND YOUR NEIGHBORHOODS [Re: Jeepmon] #1186462
02/27/12 04:16 PM
02/27/12 04:16 PM
in a cattle trailer down by th...
G
Guitar Jones Offline
Paddle faster! I hear banjo music!
Guitar Jones  Offline
Paddle faster! I hear banjo music!
G

in a cattle trailer down by th...
Funny stuff. I have had cops called on me in the past in the old house but now I live on a cul de sac on a 1/2 acre with a lake, neighbors are very cool and haven't said a single word to me about running the car. I don't start it early and never run it after dark or more than needed.

"Follow me the wise man said, but he walked behind"

'92 D250 Club Cab CTD, 47RH conversion, pump tweaks, injectors, rear disc and hydroboost conversion.
'74 W200 Crew Cab 360, NV4500, D44, D60 and NP205 divorced transfer case. Rear disc and hydroboost conversion.
2019 1500 Long Horn Crew Cab 4WD, 5.7 Hemi.
Re: RACE CARS AND YOUR NEIGHBORHOODS [Re: Guitar Jones] #1186463
02/27/12 05:12 PM
02/27/12 05:12 PM
WI, USA
67dodge67 Offline
mopar addict
67dodge67  Offline
mopar addict

WI, USA
I live on a "half circle" court with 5 homes present, the main road, and then another "half circle" court with 5 again on the other side of the road. Most of them have been living there for 10+ years, two families 20+ years. They figured out what was going on with my first car, a 74 Cutlass (highschool days) and my teenager mentality (I'm suuuurrrree you can figure out what I should NOT have been doing at age 16). But... never had anyone complain. Now in my 40's, at the same home, when I fire my Coronet up, they come over with beer and watch what I'm doing, asking questions as well. By the way, a cop lives next door who is very friendly and another one across the street.... he gives me the "look" every once in a while but realizes my car is tagged and insured plus I think his wife wont let him have any toys

Dave

Re: RACE CARS AND YOUR NEIGHBORHOODS [Re: Todd] #1186464
02/27/12 05:21 PM
02/27/12 05:21 PM
PA
70HemiGTX Offline
top fuel
70HemiGTX  Offline
top fuel

PA
Quote:

Usually don't start it up to late but all the neighbor's are Amish so they couldn't call to b#*ch if they wanted to. As you can see in the pic my neighbors arn't that close.

Well one of two things here.

#1. If you think Amish DO NOT have phones, you have your head in the sand. Around here they have a "phone booth" at the end of the lane, or fence, or far enough away from the house that is it inconvenient to use. If they have a business at home, guess what, they have a phone in the shed they have said business in. Plus 95% or better walk around with cell phones anyway. Plus a computer.

#2. Your noise is drowning out the noise from their party....

My neighbors all go nuts over my car when I get it out. My next door neighbor says that it's music. His wife doesn't think so though. She tolerates it. The neighbor behind us loves the car. (Harley guy w/loud pipes.) The old man across the street (in his 80's) knows when I get the car out it is warm enough for him to get his old Farmall out and shine it up. His wife just shakes her head at both of us.

I try not to run it late at night, say after 7:30 - 8:00, unless I'm getting home from a trip to the drive-in.

Last edited by 70HemiGTX; 02/27/12 05:28 PM.
Re: RACE CARS AND YOUR NEIGHBORHOODS [Re: Al_Alguire] #1186465
02/27/12 05:40 PM
02/27/12 05:40 PM
Arizona
C
Chris'sBarracuda Offline
master
Chris'sBarracuda  Offline
master
C

Arizona
Quote:

I dont like neighbors

Funny..

My car and trailer says "POLICE" on it.. Never had them called.. Billy drives it all through the neighborhood..

I guess they think.. Who are we going to call??

Chris..

Re: RACE CARS AND YOUR NEIGHBORHOODS [Re: Chris'sBarracuda] #1186466
02/27/12 06:07 PM
02/27/12 06:07 PM
Philadelphia
R
radar Offline
top fuel
radar  Offline
top fuel
R

Philadelphia
My neighbors on the right are awesome, keep a golf course lawn and never have an attitude, they just enjoy doing it. They have three generations in the house and all help out with firewood and work on an old flathead lawn tractor all the time.

Across the street the guy has a 8 second chevy II, T bucket, and a street/strip ford lighting. He helps out with another guy's serous race effort and they're at atco every weekend. We like to peek at each other's projects. Next to him is a guy with a 59 caddy and a couple old harleys.

I share a double driveway with a couple that's trying to get an unreasonable amount for their house (for sale) and having a hod rod neighbor doesn't fit into the wife's fantasy about her suburban life. The house on the other side of them is abandoned! They have two trucks and a minivan and resent my using my driveway for parking so they can't use it to shuffle their cars around.

I used to lend the husband tools, help them with snow removal, and my wife even used to give them home made cookies once in a while. Then without any notice they called the township to complain about all my 'abandoned vehicles'. All my cars/trucks are running, driving, registered, and insured. The only time I broke ordinance was when I pulled the motor out of my swinger and left it in front of the garage for one week. A week later I put the new motor in (in the garage) and it was back on the road. They never said anything about it. Then the township came in the dead of winter and made me prove everything was legal. It was last winter when we had a foot of snow, and my demon was BURIED. What a pain in the butt. It's not my fault that my treasure looks like junk to them. It's not like I have an 80's camaro on blocks in front of my house with grass gone to seed! It made it even more fun that the inspector is the wife's friend, and drives a smartcar...

Screw those neighbors. I still try to be a good neighbor and kill them with kindness, but inbetween 9am-9pm I am sure to make as much noise as I want. I can't wait till they move.

Re: RACE CARS AND YOUR NEIGHBORHOODS [Re: radar] #1186467
02/27/12 06:18 PM
02/27/12 06:18 PM
Seaford, Va
Kindafast Offline
top fuel
Kindafast  Offline
top fuel

Seaford, Va
Been at my .5 acre lot since 1995. Only problem was when we first moved here the county cop across the street tried to give me the riot act. I never run the car after 9:00 in the evening or early in the mornings. During that confrontation I told the cop to pack sand and get off my property or else. I have since made friends with him and work on his junk all the time. All my neighbors understand I race and don't give me any B/S about it. Heck I even do some body work and painting for myself and friends without any problems.

6.50 @105.26
Re: RACE CARS AND YOUR NEIGHBORHOODS [Re: Kindafast] #1186468
02/27/12 08:06 PM
02/27/12 08:06 PM
Riverside, California
L
Lil Demon Offline
master
Lil Demon  Offline
master
L

Riverside, California
At my old house in Rocklin - HOA suburbia track homes in a gated golf course community - everyone was pretty cool but I didn't abuse it either. Lots of cops and young families in the neighborhood. I used to fire the car to go on or off the trailer, or about once a month I would take a little neighbor boy around the block in it (private streets) as he loved the car and had been diagnosed with an inoperable heart condition and was already 2 years past his life expectancy - so he was on borrowed time.

One day I got a letter from the HOA telling me to cease and desist operations of my non-street legal vehicle in the neighborhood, that it was causing excessive noise, that I was illegally operating it on public streets, and that hot rods were not allowed in the neighborhood.

My response started wth "Dear Gestapo,"

The rest of my response included things like - these are private streets, I'll be sure to tell the little boy dying of a heart condition he can no longer go for a ride, make sure I don't see anymore quads or dirt bikes going up and down the street, please tell all of the other hot rodders they can't own a hot rod in the neighborhood, and provide me the name of the appropriate person in charge of this policy because I want to make sure I have the spelling correct for when I send this to SEMA's legal counsel. That was page 1.

Page 2 was a drawing of a middle finger with a hand written "Looking forward to seeing you in court".

Never heard from them again.

Re: RACE CARS AND YOUR NEIGHBORHOODS [Re: Lil Demon] #1186469
02/27/12 09:03 PM
02/27/12 09:03 PM
new jersey usa
11secdart Offline
master
11secdart  Offline
master

new jersey usa
My neighbors are somewhat Cool! I had a good friend that lived across the street but he passed away a few years ago, he loved my car he`d run over every time he would hear me start it. He had a Ford show./cruise truck I helped him with. I`m still friendly with his widow. He told me he heard the guy behind him in his backyard complaining about me once, this is the same guy that my late friend told me he could hear him hitting his wife on occasion and he sent an anonymous letter to my other neighbor ( she`s 91 and lives alone) that he didn`t like how she kept her yard. Dirtbag! Then theres the other neighbor across the street who has two driveways but parks in the street making it hard to back my trailer in, he stands at the door and watches me struggle backing in. My next door neighbor as I said is 91 , I do her garbage to the curb, snow removal and landscaping, on the other side are foreigners that don`t maintain their yard but I don`t bother with them. Behind me is a guy I only see once or twice a year if we`re out on our deck and he`s out we see him over the fence but not much, he`s a nice guy also. next to him is a nut case that runs the diesel generator in his garage at Ten O`clock at night to run his electric weedwacker doing his trimming in the dark, he also cuts his grass then, he does some wierd things! Although my car has mufflers its still pretty loud, so I have self imposed curfews to keep everybody happy in my hood.

Last edited by 11secdart; 03/11/12 12:29 PM.

68 Dart 410 / 904
92 D150 original owner
21 Ram 1500 Quad Cab, Big Horn , Hemi ,4x4
23 Audi Q5
16 Honda HRV
Re: RACE CARS AND YOUR NEIGHBORHOODS [Re: 11secdart] #1186470
02/28/12 01:50 AM
02/28/12 01:50 AM
pacific northwest
S
Stroker Scamp Offline
master
Stroker Scamp  Offline
master
S

pacific northwest
all my neighbors are cool, i stay within reasonable hours on having the car run, ive been here for going on 13 years have 3 1/2 acres, got some gearhead neighbors, have done a few short blips on the street(private rd)plus im on the HOA board, always have live music outside every year with our annual party, somebody says anything to me ill tell them that that are way more important things in the world to worry about

7094080-DSCN0930.JPG (116 downloads)

footbrake N/A SB 408 Scamp 10.10 @ 132 street/strip
73 Duster 340 street strip 12.79 @ 105
Re: RACE CARS AND YOUR NEIGHBORHOODS [Re: 70HemiGTX] #1186471
02/28/12 02:56 AM
02/28/12 02:56 AM
Ohio
Todd Offline
pro stock
Todd  Offline
pro stock

Ohio
Quote:

Quote:

Usually don't start it up to late but all the neighbor's are Amish so they couldn't call to b#*ch if they wanted to. As you can see in the pic my neighbors arn't that close.

Well one of two things here.

#1. If you think Amish DO NOT have phones, you have your head in the sand. Around here they have a "phone booth" at the end of the lane, or fence, or far enough away from the house that is it inconvenient to use. If they have a business at home, guess what, they have a phone in the shed they have said business in. Plus 95% or better walk around with cell phones anyway. Plus a computer.

#2. Your noise is drowning out the noise from their party....

My neighbors all go nuts over my car when I get it out. My next door neighbor says that it's music. His wife doesn't think so though. She tolerates it. The neighbor behind us loves the car. (Harley guy w/loud pipes.) The old man across the street (in his 80's) knows when I get the car out it is warm enough for him to get his old Farmall out and shine it up. His wife just shakes her head at both of us.

I try not to run it late at night, say after 7:30 - 8:00, unless I'm getting home from a trip to the drive-in.

I know that. What I should have said was they wouldn't call anyway. Jeesh don't be so critical.

Re: RACE CARS AND YOUR NEIGHBORHOODS [Re: Todd] #1186472
02/28/12 04:51 AM
02/28/12 04:51 AM
wine country
8urvette Offline
super stock
8urvette  Offline
super stock

wine country
My car is at my parents house, when it runs (not often) the neighbors don't seem to care. A few houses down on both side are gear heads, race cars and have newer hot rods as well. Their direct neighbors are good. One is a retired cop and has known me my whole life so he tolerates it. I also assist them with anything they need, from fixing the garbage disposal to disposing of dead rats. The other one, i rebuilt her deck railing for the cost of the wood, she is rarely home. I try to keep it turned off late at night.
The people up and down the street know the car very well, vie been yelled at by that "one guy" every body has him in the 'hood.

Always yelling to slow down even when your doing 15 mph. Its on a dead end street, he is about 20 houses from the end. One of the last times i drove it by him he ran into his house, when i cruised back past he had a hand held air horn and blew it at me. I couldn't stop my self from laughing He also gave me the bird.... I guess he has nothing better to do with his time. The car is tagged, insured, and has a form of muffler on it.

Im working on being a cop, so hopefully that will get me some slack too! LOL.

Re: RACE CARS AND YOUR NEIGHBORHOODS [Re: 8urvette] #1186473
02/28/12 06:24 AM
02/28/12 06:24 AM
Hinterland SE Qld Aust
S
SG duster Offline
mopar
SG duster  Offline
mopar
S

Hinterland SE Qld Aust
I have heighbours that cheer when I start the car and booo when I shut it off

Re: RACE CARS AND YOUR NEIGHBORHOODS [Re: SG duster] #1186474
03/10/12 10:02 PM
03/10/12 10:02 PM
orange city,FL
D
Demon340GSS Offline
Demon340GSS  Offline
D

orange city,FL
The neighbor across the street from me calls the cops ( severl times now)..
Last time I fired up the my 440 based blower motor I was playing with setting up the new carbs and the cop had walked up to my yard and was standing right behind me trying to get my attention ! ( I was so into the car tuning that i did not even see the cruiser pull up..
I finally seen him and rev'd it up a few more times before I shut it down.
He was cool about it and I stayed nice in responce..
The cop asked if I always do this often?
I said not until after 10:oo am and not after 7:00pm..
He said it was a little too loud,
I was easy going about it, IN responce he asked if I was calm enough to talk to the complaintant???
I agreed to stay calm, He said that it was my neighbor across the street that had called them, Then he invited the neighbor over to talk about it in person.
I wished that Tony, (my neighbor) had just come to me in person first..
Turns out his wife did not feel well and my race car was making her stuff move around on her shelves!!!
It did not help that I had the headers opened up when I was running it...
Last time I took it out on the street a bunch of my neighbors came out and I did a few burnouts and parked it, When I got out I figured that about 30 people where lined up in the yards watching me! Some came over to talk and look at it afterwards and wanted me to fire it up again, But I had not fuel left to really run it again..

Now the cops ( Volusia Sheriff Dept) drives by alot more often then when I first bought the house 8 yrs ago..
A neighbor built a big block chevy and put it into a buick t-type body and was doing burnouts and I got blamed for it by the same cop! The only defence I had was that my tires are 33x21.50's and his are much smaller, But he still comes around alot more often than ever did before...
I admit I bring it on myself though doing long burnouts in the past So it's my own fault!
I have not done it on the street for over a year now..
Generally my other cars I also dont run early or late at night now so as to "keep the peace".
Grant Eaton
1155 6th St, Orange City, FL 32763
Ph 386-561-1181

7112655-336.JPG (92 downloads)

Owner of Original collector and restored original mopars from Mr Norms Grand Spaulding Dodge.
Re: RACE CARS AND YOUR NEIGHBORHOODS [Re: Demon340GSS] #1186475
03/10/12 10:48 PM
03/10/12 10:48 PM
Canton, Ohio
Crazy68Dart Offline
pro stock
Crazy68Dart  Offline
pro stock

Canton, Ohio
I am on 9 tenths in an older development (i.e. not cookie cutter houses on top of each other). In general, the neighbors are okay. The neighbors are turning over as they get older and younger people are moving in. We are in our early 30s and have two little girls 3 and 10 weeks(!). I am in the planning stages for a detached garage, and I have talked to my one neighbor about it and they seem cool with the idea. There is no HOA (a point of moving was not to live somewhere with an HOA), so I have that going for me.

I think it will be okay, but I think it is important to respect your neighbors. Open headers is really loud, my wife would be out beating me way before any neighbor... lol. With the test stand I just rigged up a faux exhaust. It is better that way anyway to be able to listen to the engine, valve train, etc.

One of our neighbors is a state patrolman a little older than us. He has a truck with a rumbly exhaust and a quad also that he plays with. A few houses down a guy runs a body/customization shop and is into trucks, etc.

I think we will be okay as long as the respect flows both ways. There might be a few older folks that give me the evil eye. We will see.

383, Hemi 4-Speed, AlterKtion, D60
Re: RACE CARS AND YOUR NEIGHBORHOODS [Re: Crazy68Dart] #1186476
03/10/12 11:12 PM
03/10/12 11:12 PM
Ambridge, Pa.
R
rickraw Offline
top fuel
rickraw  Offline
top fuel
R

Ambridge, Pa.
my neighbors are cool. elderly lady across from me loves my car & family behind me likes it too. to the left of my house is a cemetery. no complaints from them. seeya.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3