02/25/12 05:05 AM
02/25/12 05:05 AM
Joplin, MO USA
Robbins Offline OP
master
Robbins  Offline OP
master

Joplin, MO USA
Please educate me here. I've got this prop valve off of a disc/drum 74 A-body car. I'm running four disc brakes on my 64 Valiant now. Things haven't been right from the beginning. One thing I found was that the master was leaking from the back. Got a new one from Dr. Diff. But the prop valve is confusing me.

Inline tube shows that on some cars the five port valve like mine was some times put on cars by itself and on some it had another one added to it. So I'm wondering if I can use it or not?

http://inlinetube.com/Prop%20Valves/pro_valves.htm

Down the page some for Mopar stuff.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-G3905/

I've got this that I'm going to put on also.

Last edited by Robbins; 02/25/12 05:08 AM.

Moparlee
Re: Mopar Prop Valves / Distribution Blocks [Re: Robbins] #1185689
02/25/12 05:36 AM
02/25/12 05:36 AM
Looking for a way out of Middl...
IMGTX Offline
I Live Here
IMGTX  Offline
I Live Here

Looking for a way out of Middl...
The ones inline sells are reproduction ones I believe.

Since 64 Darts didn't come with 4 wheel disks you will need to take a different approach.

I'm gonna cheat and make it a little simpler than it is so here we go...
What a proportioning valve does is cause the front brakes to grab differently than the rear. Basically the rear does not do as much as the front because the weight shifts forward during braking and the proportioning valve helps compensate for that.

Since your 64 never had 4 wheel disks you can't get a factory valve with the correct balance and must go for a custom valve.

A Distribution block simply separates the two brake lines from the master cylinder into separate lines for each wheel. They usually include the switch for the brake warning light.

My suggestion is to buy the inline Street rod 5 port valve Pr101 and the summit adjustable proportioning valve.

Run the two line from the master cylinder to the 1st two ports. The front brakes each get a port one for the left and one for the right. That takes up the next two ports and the 5th port goes to the back of the car. Install an adjustable proportioning valve in the line going to the rear brakes car and a T at the back of the car to separate it to each wheel (use the one already on the rear axle). Finally use the adjustable proportioning valve to adjust the braking bias so that the front brakes lock up at the same time or just before the rear.

I hope that helps.

7089238-Brakes.jpg (567 downloads)
Re: Mopar Prop Valves / Distribution Blocks [Re: Robbins] #1185690
02/25/12 12:12 PM
02/25/12 12:12 PM
up yours
Supercuda Offline
About to go away
Supercuda  Offline
About to go away

up yours
Quote:

Please educate me here. I've got this prop valve off of a disc/drum 74 A-body car. I'm running four disc brakes

What made you think running a COMBINATION valve from a disc/drum car was gonna work in an all disc setup??

Get a prop valve for an all disc setup

They say there are no such thing as a stupid question.
They say there is always the exception that proves the rule.
Don't be the exception.
Re: Mopar Prop Valves / Distribution Blocks [Re: Supercuda] #1185691
02/25/12 12:33 PM
02/25/12 12:33 PM
colorado
S
savoy64 Offline
top fuel
savoy64  Offline
top fuel
S

colorado
the problem sometimes is that the modern mopar master cylinder is internally proportioned to 70-30---then someone tells you you have to add another prop valve to 70-30 again----seems to me you enter the land of more diminished returns--the reality is you can run a straight line front and back and you are done---if your master is on the firewall in the normal spot you dont have to use the 2 psi residual valves because you have enough column pressure----bob

Re: Mopar Prop Valves / Distribution Blocks [Re: savoy64] #1185692
02/25/12 01:27 PM
02/25/12 01:27 PM
ILL
G
Greentween Offline
enthusiast
Greentween  Offline
enthusiast
G

ILL
If you still want to run the prop valve off of a disc/drum 74 A-body car, you can remove the guts to the prop valve and convert it into a distriution valve like IMGTX wrote about. Under the large nut on the valve is a spring and rubber valve that you remove.

If the calipers in back are smaller than the front calipers, you may not need an inline prop valve on the rear. Thats how mine is.

Re: Mopar Prop Valves / Distribution Blocks [Re: Greentween] #1185693
02/25/12 02:26 PM
02/25/12 02:26 PM
Joplin, MO USA
Robbins Offline OP
master
Robbins  Offline OP
master

Joplin, MO USA
Quote:

If you still want to run the prop valve off of a disc/drum 74 A-body car, you can remove the guts to the prop valve and convert it into a distriution valve like IMGTX wrote about. Under the large nut on the valve is a spring and rubber valve that you remove.

If the calipers in back are smaller than the front calipers, you may not need an inline prop valve on the rear. Thats how mine is.

This what Dr. Diff was thinking that I needed to do also, but the nut so tight that my brake wrenches turned no it. So I noticed that inline tube has the new mopar blocks. Then I noticed that they are saying that some disk brake cars got them by themselves and then others got another valve also.

They're showing a block that is five port (darn near like the BLK246 (which is the one from the 74 car) that looks like they are saying that it's just distribution block. Which is BLK244 from Inline tube. So if I use this one then it mounts the same and the lines aren't really going to need to be different.

As far as the question why I thought that I could use it, I though it's purpose was just to shut stuff off where it was leaking in one corner and that was it. It was involved in the first conversion when I went to power disk brake set up off of the 74 donor car. My bad for not researching more.

For the rest of you thanks for the feed back. I appreciate it.

Also the calipers are smaller, I'm running the Grand Cherokee rear disk brake set up.

Moparlee
Re: Mopar Prop Valves / Distribution Blocks [Re: Supercuda] #1185694
02/25/12 02:55 PM
02/25/12 02:55 PM
Joplin, MO USA
Robbins Offline OP
master
Robbins  Offline OP
master

Joplin, MO USA
Quote:

Quote:

Please educate me here. I've got this prop valve off of a disc/drum 74 A-body car. I'm running four disc brakes

What made you think running a COMBINATION valve from a disc/drum car was gonna work in an all disc setup??

Get a prop valve for an all disc setup

Inline tube just told me that block that I have and the adjustable one in the rear line will work for what I'm doing. I'll be fine.

Moparlee
Re: Mopar Prop Valves / Distribution Blocks [Re: Robbins] #1185695
02/25/12 07:23 PM
02/25/12 07:23 PM
Polson, MT
DoctorDiff Offline
master
DoctorDiff  Offline
master

Polson, MT
You were given incorrect information.

Get rid of the disc/drum combination valve in favor of a simple (drum brake style) distribution block with an adjustable prop valve mounted downstream.

Re: Mopar Prop Valves / Distribution Blocks [Re: DoctorDiff] #1185696
02/25/12 08:03 PM
02/25/12 08:03 PM
Joplin, MO USA
Robbins Offline OP
master
Robbins  Offline OP
master

Joplin, MO USA
Cass, so with this work then?

They're showing a block that is five port (darn near like the BLK246 (which is the one from the 74 car) that looks like they are saying that it's just distribution block. Which is BLK244 from Inline tube. So if I use this one then it mounts the same and the lines aren't really going to need to be different.

Moparlee