02/23/12 06:41 PM
02/23/12 06:41 PM
minnarusta
TX9H6E4CUDA Offline OP
master
TX9H6E4CUDA  Offline OP
master

minnarusta
I'm ready to put my rear sway bar in my 1971 Superbee but I just remembered I needed new bushings for the mounting brackets on the frame where the bar slips into. I called the local part place and they didn't show anything. Anyone know where I can get them?
Thanks moparts

For the absolute best powder coating go to J.I.T powder coating, contact infomation is in my personal profile..
Re: Where to get rear sway bar mounting bracket bushings??? [Re: TX9H6E4CUDA] #1184999
02/24/12 12:26 AM
02/24/12 12:26 AM
Dry Heat AZ
A
AAR#2 Offline
super stock
AAR#2  Offline
super stock
A

Dry Heat AZ
Unsure what your sway bar looks like but if it's similar to the one on my 70 'Cuda they were never intended to be serviced, so finding a replacement could be difficult to impossible in rubber, but somewhat easy if you don't mind the aftermarket look of urethane and/or brackets.

Here is the route I chose when faced with the issue and wanting it to look stock when finished

While your setup may be a little different it may work similarly. I torched the old bushing to soften them enough to get it free from the housing and cut the bushing at the thinest section for removal. Since there isn't a single reproduction (original rubber) bushing made for my application, I bought an oversized outside profile with a correct inside diameter and made my own by using a grinding wheel (sounds crappy but I was anal enough to make them correctly using the removed bushing as a guide, grinding them oversized to allow for compression), of course I had to make 4 to get 2 good ones) My brackets are tapered so that one side of the bushing would be smaller than the other, making it a natural starter at the fat side of the bracket for pressing the smaller side into place (think of pressing a cone into a cone). I left my bushings a little fat to get good compression once installed. Doing this type of installation allowed me to powder-coat the bracket and not destroy it to instal the bushing.

7087444-PICT0003.JPG (334 downloads)
Re: Where to get rear sway bar mounting bracket bushings??? [Re: AAR#2] #1185000
02/24/12 01:29 AM
02/24/12 01:29 AM
minnarusta
TX9H6E4CUDA Offline OP
master
TX9H6E4CUDA  Offline OP
master

minnarusta
Thank you for your help. My bracket looks the same but the loop that holds the bushing down is bolted into place instead. So what bushing did you use and where did you get it? Was your bushing cut slit from the maker?
I purchased a Moog one for the front to maybe make it work and i noticed its cut and that bothers me a little.

Last edited by TX9H6E4CUDA; 02/24/12 01:32 AM.

For the absolute best powder coating go to J.I.T powder coating, contact infomation is in my personal profile..
Re: Where to get rear sway bar mounting bracket bushings??? [Re: TX9H6E4CUDA] #1185001
02/24/12 09:54 AM
02/24/12 09:54 AM
Dry Heat AZ
A
AAR#2 Offline
super stock
AAR#2  Offline
super stock
A

Dry Heat AZ
I too had the dilemma of using a cut bushing, but after a pretty exhaustive search for 80-85 durometer rubber in blocks large enough, for a reasonable cost (I even looked in McMaster Carr and found raw material for several hundred). I was beat down and decided to use the easily obtainable, slit bushing that I could find oversized at the local store. With a total investment of $16 ($8 dollars a package with 2 ea, remember I said I had to make 4 to get 2 I was happy with)

When push came to shove I decided this was better than several other ideas I had, as I really want that factory rubber look. Truthfully the slit bushing can barely be seen on the bottom of the car sealed inside the metal housing. I really believe 99.99% of people will never know, care or even know whats truly correct, but I understand your hesitation as I too have traveled the path and had to be at peace with my decision prior to instal.