North Central Florida
E
eightlitermopar Offline OP
top fuel
eightlitermopar  Offline OP
top fuel
E

North Central Florida
Another block angle.... Could the intake be leaking and make it look like the head is leaking? I kind of doubt it....but....

7678104-magnum006.jpg (151 downloads)

Mopar or no car
Re: HELP! Magnum head update! [Re: eightlitermopar] #1180406
04/22/13 03:59 PM
04/22/13 03:59 PM
North Central Florida
E
top fuel
top fuel
E

North Central Florida
If the gaskets are crap...I do have some felpro gaskets. 8553 PT.

I understand these are around .045-.055 thick.

I also have the felpro gaskets for the magnum gasket set. These are a whopping .080 thick.

I have already done the math for the exact pushrods, so I really don't want to go any thicker, because then I would need other pushrods.....

I'm about ready to cover the car and check back next spring...

Mopar or no car
Re: HELP! Magnum head update! [Re: eightlitermopar] #1180407
04/22/13 04:07 PM
04/22/13 04:07 PM
Lincoln Nebraska
R
RapidRobert Offline
Circle Track
RapidRobert  Offline
Circle Track
R

Lincoln Nebraska
I'd clean the deck/head surfaces & check the new head gaskets for any debris/imperfections that might cause a leak & bottom tap the head bolt holes especially the top ones on the inside where it was leaking then go together & borrow a rad pump tool & pump it up to 15 lbs & see if it holds psi before you add any coolant & make sure the holes are tapped deep enough for the head bolts you are using

live every 24 hour block of time like it's your last day on earth
Re: HELP! Magnum head update! [Re: eightlitermopar] #1180408
04/22/13 04:09 PM
04/22/13 04:09 PM
Florida
S
scratchnfotraction Offline
I Live Here
scratchnfotraction  Offline
I Live Here
S

Florida
Quote:

Another block angle.... Could the intake be leaking and make it look like the head is leaking? I kind of doubt it....but....

after having to do my first barrel keg intake gaskets 3x in 1 day to get it to seal.

I wager big on it is the intake gaskets.

the intake only torques to 144 inch pounds in 2 steps 72/144 no more/no less.

it just runs along the head gasket edge and puddles up. if it leaks it has 4 corners to let it in the crank case. only flows thru the front end but has 4 ports on the heads.

IIRC, they bolts maybe a torque to yield bolts and not reused. i re-used mine all 4x

nothing like the old LA intake ham fisting it tight as you can with a 3/8 ratchet/boxedend wrench.

I am wondering how the hughes ramheads with LA bolt patter seal up compaired to a mag intake bolt pattern. i have seen way tony mag intakes leak water.

Re: HELP! Magnum head update! [Re: scratchnfotraction] #1180409
04/22/13 05:02 PM
04/22/13 05:02 PM
North Central Florida
E
top fuel
top fuel
E

North Central Florida
I drained the fluid from the block. There is no water in the cylinders when I pulled the head, just in the lifter galley.

So....do I dare reuse the gaskets I have then? I hate redoing everything several times and I haven't even started the motor!

How do I know if the intake has sealed before putting water in it?

Just the Rad pump tool?

I have heard people say these crosswind manifolds can leak. What is the trick to get them to seal up?

eightlitermopar

Mopar or no car
Re: HELP! Magnum head update! [Re: eightlitermopar] #1180410
04/22/13 06:19 PM
04/22/13 06:19 PM
Lincoln Nebraska
R
RapidRobert Offline
Circle Track
RapidRobert  Offline
Circle Track
R

Lincoln Nebraska
New head/intake gaskets. Yes the rad tool to see if it holds pressure. Some end rail gaskets are too thick & can hold the intake up a hair making one or both of the front cooling ports leak (use a wide carefully placed swath of silicone front & rear instead) & not sure if it's leaking in the front cooling port(s) & drifting rearward along the valley as seen in the pics or if it's one of the closer to the valley edges of the block deck. Not sure what to suggest on the integrity of the crosswind intake. You want this done once & for all & I'd take the block/heads to your machinist & see if they're flat then purchase some new gaskets then check the bolts/bolt holes & see what you need to do to have the intake checked out & button it up & pressure check it & cross your fingers. Holler how it goes. EDIT You could have the sides of the intake milled slightly to true them up & custom thicker gaskets may or may not then be required. You wouldn't know till you mocked up the intake/current intake gaskets on the long block & checked port/bolt alignment

Last edited by RapidRobert; 04/22/13 06:28 PM.

Re: HELP! Magnum head update! [Re: eightlitermopar] #1180411
04/22/13 09:41 PM
04/22/13 09:41 PM
Florida
S
I Live Here
I Live Here
S

Florida
Quote:

I drained the fluid from the block. There is no water in the cylinders when I pulled the head, just in the lifter galley.

So....do I dare reuse the gaskets I have then? I hate redoing everything several times and I haven't even started the motor!

How do I know if the intake has sealed before putting water in it?

Just the Rad pump tool?

I have heard people say these crosswind manifolds can leak. What is the trick to get them to seal up?

eightlitermopar

what i see in the very first pic is a torn up intake gasket at a water port. I would not re-use a magnum intake gasket.

next pic.. the rusted water port matches the fresh rust along edge of head gasket. but shows no sign of a leak on block or gasket.

what about the head surfaces?

next pic.. thats a nasty gash/nick/crack/something?/ in the block on #6 hole.

also looks like you can follow rusted water trail up along block/head gasket edge to water port around #7 hole.

again,I wager intake water leak and flash rusting.

Last edited by scratchnfotraction; 04/22/13 09:43 PM.
Re: HELP! Magnum head update! [Re: scratchnfotraction] #1180412
04/22/13 09:52 PM
04/22/13 09:52 PM
Florida
S
I Live Here
I Live Here
S

Florida
BAZINGA!! why would the the oil passage that is blocked with magnum heads have rust in the passage?? (I thought it was water passage at first)

I think the head gasket might be the problem here.. maybe both.

you have the LA head gasket with the open hole for LA style oiling to rockers and a magnum head gasket does not have the hole punched.

the oi pressure might have started a leak to the water passage and on a shut down would then let water into oil passage.

look at the gasket real close around the LA oil passage to the rockers, which is rust coated as far as i can see down inside.

do you have oil in the rad or coolent system?

Last edited by scratchnfotraction; 04/22/13 10:04 PM.
Re: HELP! Magnum head update! [Re: eightlitermopar] #1180413
04/22/13 09:56 PM
04/22/13 09:56 PM
Florida
S
I Live Here
I Live Here
S

Florida
Quote:

after the gasket is off....

I see what looks to be where the water leak was. zoom in around the water port and oil passage to the LA rockers.

see the water stain bleeding over into the oil passage???

oil pressure with no where to go most likly wicked/seeped over to the water passage. IMO

gasket with no hole would be a better seal here, it wont let oil to both edges/sides of gasket blocking off the oil PSI

Last edited by scratchnfotraction; 04/22/13 09:59 PM.
Re: HELP! Magnum head update! [Re: scratchnfotraction] #1180414
04/23/13 10:15 AM
04/23/13 10:15 AM
Grand Haven, MI
patrick Offline
I Live Here
patrick  Offline
I Live Here

Grand Haven, MI
Quote:

Quote:

I see what looks to be where the water leak was. zoom in around the water port and oil passage to the LA rockers.

oil pressure with no where to go most likly wicked/seeped over to the water passage. IMO

gasket with no hole would be a better seal here, it wont let oil to both edges/sides of gasket blocking off the oil PSI

LA head gaskets work fine on magnum heads. even if the hole is in the gasket, it dead-ends to nothing on the head surface. I had no issues using the Mr. Gasket LA head gasket on my magnum. I'd put my on the intake manifold leaking. maybe upgrade to some good grade 5 or grade 8 bolts for the intake manifold to be able to tighten down better?

I didn't have any problems, but I had redrilled my heads to LA bolt pattern and ran an LA edelbrock air gap on my magnum heads.

1976 Spinnaker White Plymouth Duster, /6 A833OD
1986 Silver/Twilight Blue Chrysler 5th Ave HotRod **SOLD!***
2011 Toxic Orange Dodge Charger R/T
2017 Grand Cherokee Overland
2014 Jeep Cherokee Latitude (holy crap, my daughter is driving)
Re: HELP! Magnum head update! [Re: patrick] #1180415
04/23/13 11:03 AM
04/23/13 11:03 AM
Florida
S
I Live Here
I Live Here
S

Florida
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

LA head gaskets work fine on magnum heads. even if the hole is in the gasket, it dead-ends to nothing on the head surface. I had no issues using the Mr. Gasket LA head gasket on my magnum. I'd put my on the intake manifold leaking. maybe upgrade to some good grade 5 or grade 8 bolts for the intake manifold to be able to tighten down better?

I didn't have any problems, but I had redrilled my heads to LA bolt pattern and ran an LA edelbrock air gap on my magnum heads.

I would agree with that also.

why would the oil passage be rusted if it was not leaking water into it?

it does look like a water stain on the block at the water port/oil passage to me. leading me to think head gasket leak.

if it was only the intake gasket leaking it would not have rust in the oil passage.

looking at the pics,I see rust/water/tracks high in the corner at head gasket edge by #7 cyl leading me to an intake gasket.

I would be more worried about rust in the oil passage. sure sign of water to me.

Re: HELP! Magnum head update! [Re: scratchnfotraction] #1180416
04/23/13 11:32 AM
04/23/13 11:32 AM
North Central Florida
E
top fuel
top fuel
E

North Central Florida
Is this the passage we are talking about?

I have not had any oil in the motor yet.

I have reorderd some MR. Gasket head gaskets to replace these ones. However, there was no water in the cylinders. The water in the pictures is from the heads themselves when removed.

I will have a rad pressure tool this weekend to see if there are any leaks before I put fill the block with water again...

I don't know really what to do at this point, other than that...

The head bolts are the correct ones.

The intake bolts are grade 8, so I am not worried about reusing them.

I really agree that the culprit here is a leaking intake. When I reassemble, I may opt to eliminate the rear and front gasket and just do a smear of silicone or equivalent.

Any other ideas?

eight

7679349-magnum0041.JPG (123 downloads)

Mopar or no car
Re: HELP! Magnum head update! [Re: eightlitermopar] #1180417
04/23/13 11:37 AM
04/23/13 11:37 AM
Lincoln Nebraska
R
RapidRobert Offline
Circle Track
RapidRobert  Offline
Circle Track
R

Lincoln Nebraska
clean the deck/head surfaces well but dont let any debris go into any of the holes or the cyls. You'd need it all put back together so you can pump it up to 15 lbs. Myself I'd have the intake flatness checked. Holler how thing go

Re: HELP! Magnum head update! [Re: eightlitermopar] #1180418
04/23/13 04:10 PM
04/23/13 04:10 PM
Florida
S
I Live Here
I Live Here
S

Florida
Quote:

Is this the passage we are talking about?

I have not had any oil in the motor yet.

I have reorderd some MR. Gasket head gaskets to replace these ones. However, there was no water in the cylinders. The water in the pictures is from the heads themselves when removed.

I will have a rad pressure tool this weekend to see if there are any leaks before I put fill the block with water again...

I don't know really what to do at this point, other than that...

The head bolts are the correct ones.

The intake bolts are grade 8, so I am not worried about reusing them.

I really agree that the culprit here is a leaking intake. When I reassemble, I may opt to eliminate the rear and front gasket and just do a smear of silicone or equivalent.

Any other ideas?

eight

yes thats the hole I see with rust. water had to be in there...that is the oil feed up the block to the LA heads with shaft/rockers

should be no water or rust in that passage even if it only flash rust it had to have been leaking water into the oil passage somewhere. I would think.

I zoom in on the pic and can see a slight stain that looks like a water path to the oil passage-- across from the gash in the block deck surface to the right.

explane the rust in this passage first before going back together would be my advice.

it has nothing to do with the intake gaskets leaking IMHO.

Re: HELP! Magnum head update! [Re: scratchnfotraction] #1180419
04/23/13 09:39 PM
04/23/13 09:39 PM
North Central Florida
E
top fuel
top fuel
E

North Central Florida
Quote:

yes thats the hole I see with rust. water had to be in there...that is the oil feed up the block to the LA heads with shaft/rockers

should be no water or rust in that passage even if it only flash rust it had to have been leaking water into the oil passage somewhere. I would think.

I zoom in on the pic and can see a slight stain that looks like a water path to the oil passage-- across from the gash in the block deck surface to the right.

explane the rust in this passage first before going back together would be my advice.

it has nothing to do with the intake gaskets leaking IMHO.

Hmm....I see that. It's hard to say. I have been putting this motor together carefully for the last 4-5 months...literally. A little here and a little there...as time allows.

I did pressure wash the bare block, I did dry it off with the air gun, but the block was upside down for a while in the shop after this. Maybe that is where the water settled from that?

All I can do is speculate at this time. I honestly don't know. This is my first motor done entirely by me....so it's been a learning process. All my other motors have been big blocks too...so this is foreign to me.

Sincerly thanks to everyone for helping me along!

As far as that gash goes, it was present when I pulled the head. It was all stock from ma mopar at that point. It held good pressure prior to disassembly, even with that being so close to the sealing ring area.

I thought a little JB weld or something to level it off? Where it worked before, I didn't want to do anything to jeopardize what worked before.

I will have some time tomorrow and I am expecting my new head gaskets. I will carefully reassemble and see what my rad pressure test tells me this weekend.

It sucks I had to redo stuff, but I am glad I found it this way instead of tearing up a new cam because of water in the oil

eight.

Mopar or no car
Sealing the magnum heads... [Re: eightlitermopar] #1180420
04/25/13 04:08 PM
04/25/13 04:08 PM
North Central Florida
E
top fuel
top fuel
E

North Central Florida
Ok, so I have the heads back on with the new head gaskets.

I cleaned the head and block surfaces very carefully and thoroughly.

So here is my question regarding the intake.

From reading, many have had problems with water jacket sealing, and it sometimes takes several attempts.

What can I do to ensure success at this point?

Eliminate the front and rear cork gasket?

Silicone around water jackets before applying the gasket?

Install the gasket dry? (Does silicone cause failure with these felpro gaskets?)

I have new gaskets, as the old ones were ripped and torn from removal. They are really stuck on there, this is why I am surprised I had a leak!

I also have the grade 8 intake bolts. Could I tighten it more that the 144 inch pounds with torque to yield bolts?

Thanks for the input

Eightlitermopar

Mopar or no car
Re: Sealing the magnum heads... [Re: eightlitermopar] #1180421
04/25/13 05:22 PM
04/25/13 05:22 PM
Lincoln Nebraska
R
RapidRobert Offline
Circle Track
RapidRobert  Offline
Circle Track
R

Lincoln Nebraska
I would eliminate the front/rear cork gaskets & use a wide carefully placed swath of silicone front/rear on squeaky clean surfaces & let it sit up overnight but if your supplied front/rear gaskets are thin you would be fine & alot of people have had no issues. It's a judgement call. I would use a bit of gasket cement on both sides of the gasket cooling hole opening in the front of the gaskets on each bank. Either the correct color (blue?) of silicone made for coolant contact or some other gasket cement (Indian head would work fine) or permatex 1 or 2 in the toothpaste like tube, it ain't critical. Grade 8 bolts would need to be torqued to what ever that dia of grade 8 bolt requires since you need a certain amount of bolt stretch & that's dependant on grade/dia & I'm sure that'll be different than the 12 ft lbs specified for the TTY magnum intake bolts & is somewhat dependant on the part/gasket in question that's being compressed & there was a mention of the vertical angle needing less torque for some odd reason, maybe someone has some info on that if that's relevant here. Let it all sit up overnight/cross your fingers/pump it up to 15 lbs/holler back

Re: Sealing the magnum heads... [Re: RapidRobert] #1180422
04/25/13 09:10 PM
04/25/13 09:10 PM
Florida
S
I Live Here
I Live Here
S

Florida
72 inch pounds in the corret torque pattern then 144 inch pounds around the correct torque pattern again.

that was my problem,I could not get past how little of a torque spec the magnum intake bolt angle needs.

I over torqued it 3x, the 4x I just sneaked up on the 72 and then the 144 inch pounds. and it sealed.

i think with the angle of the heads/intake flange the bolts pull the intake straight down and it uncovers the bottom of the water ports from what i can tell.

every dodge dealer tech I talk with said do them dry and no more than 144 inch pounds. it is very important to NOT over torque the bolts.

one of the reason the bolt diameter is so small is it does not need a lot of torque like the LA intakes.

the magnum kinda slides down into the valley and the LA intake clamps gasket to the head surface.

all I can add is dont over torque and good luck.

Re: Sealing the magnum heads... [Re: scratchnfotraction] #1180423
04/25/13 10:16 PM
04/25/13 10:16 PM
North Central Florida
E
top fuel
top fuel
E

North Central Florida
So, just a thought here.....

Would my torque specs be the same if I am not using a torque to yield bolt?

Would that change since it is a grade 8 bolt?

I plan on doing the 72-144 inch pound method as stated, but it was a question that popped up...

Also, Scratchin... did you use any silicone around the ports, or did you install it dry?

eightlitermopar

Mopar or no car
Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8