02/17/12 03:13 AM
02/17/12 03:13 AM
Granite Bay CA
Kern Dog Offline OP
Striving for excellence
Kern Dog  Offline OP
Striving for excellence

Granite Bay CA
I have seen the subject briefly discussed before but I'm interested in reading members opinions on the matter.
For example, lets say that a car has all the bolt on upgrades that are available to him/her. Bigger torsion bars, sway bars, shocks. The body has no frame connectors, torque boxes or nonstock gussets. Now add in a welded K member, welded frame connectors and torque boxes, LCA stiffener plates and even the triangulated cowl to fender apron brace. Does this mean that now with the cars "foundation" being a much more solid platform, that the spring rates feel firmer? I've wondered if the reduced body flex equates to a driver actually feeling the potential of the T-bars/leafs spring rate? Who has some insight or opinions on this matter? Thanks, Greg

Re: Reinforced unibody and spring rates [Re: Kern Dog] #1179736
02/17/12 03:32 AM
02/17/12 03:32 AM
Back home in PA
B
BulletBob Offline
master
BulletBob  Offline
master
B

Back home in PA
We raced A Bodies & E Bodies on the dirt in the 70's & early 80's & I know when you stiffen a car you take the spring out of the car

Surely someone with a set of scales has pondered this!

Re: Reinforced unibody and spring rates [Re: BulletBob] #1179737
02/17/12 03:37 AM
02/17/12 03:37 AM
Back home in PA
B
BulletBob Offline
master
BulletBob  Offline
master
B

Back home in PA
I know that when you stiffen that car you feel the difference It's been too many years now

Re: Reinforced unibody and spring rates [Re: Kern Dog] #1179738
02/17/12 08:40 AM
02/17/12 08:40 AM
Answering the call of the wild
T
ThermoQuad Offline
top fuel
ThermoQuad  Offline
top fuel
T

Good question
Unless you have a way to "test & verify" it's unknown what you have...most combinations are unknown and untested.

Testing is not the autocross course either, it's hot laps on a road course you are familiar with so you can determine if the car is rotating thru the turns and if your lap times have improved. Top speed on the straights is determined by how fast you cut the curves.

It's how all the parts work together under duress.

Re: Reinforced unibody and spring rates [Re: Kern Dog] #1179739
02/17/12 02:33 PM
02/17/12 02:33 PM
Bitopia
J
jcc Offline
If you can't dazzle em with diamonds..
jcc  Offline
If you can't dazzle em with diamonds..
J

Bitopia
Quote:

Does this mean that now with the cars "foundation" being a much more solid platform, that the spring rates feel firmer?

3 replies and no direct answer yet.

I thought this subject was discussed recently here and with no conclusion, and few seemed to share my view. I'm used to it.

And sorry to rehash this , but I think a key word here you are using here is "feel". Many seem to miss that.

I look at a hp car as a complete system. The final judgement is "ride" ie feel, and/or handling ie lap times. One can use either or a combination of both to make a judgement as to any improvement/difference when making a change. I also look at a suspension as mostly a bunch of different springs, mostly tuned differently, different rates, different resonant frequencies, but all to a large degree linear. They are in most cases all connected in series. Therefore they all interact with each other. Keep in mind I am only addressing ride, Handling is a different separate issue. Ride is important in the area in how a car reacts and transmits inputs to the drivers so he can drive the car at a level he is comfortable and consistent with.

So these springs are first "tires" ( and tire pressure) , control bushings, TB's, leafs, or springs, the chassis/frame, the drivers seat, and Big Mac personal padding. Shocks are really dampers and just change the amplitudes/frequencies and response rate, and are a separate issue I think, in consideration of the OP's question.

Therefore if any of the above springs are completely removed (as in chassis stiffness, frame connectors, etc) or rates are largely increased, in order maintain same "ride" feel, other "springs" need to be softened. However this is seldom done because, most are seeking a handling improvement, and more control is needed, and that normally requires stiffer springs for less roll, less camber change, less weight transfer etc but then the ride is changing.

Reality check, that half the population is smarter then 50% of the people and it's a constantly contested fact.
Re: Reinforced unibody and spring rates [Re: jcc] #1179740
02/17/12 04:39 PM
02/17/12 04:39 PM
A collage of whims
topside Offline
Too Many Posts
topside  Offline
Too Many Posts

A collage of whims
Like BB & jcc are saying, once you take the chassis twist/flex out of the equation, it should take less spring rate to keep the tires in contact with the road. Flex/twist acts like another spring, and it upsets applying the tires consistently, as the chassis winds up & releases. You can't really analyze your suspension setup until you address the chassis stiffness and remove that variable. If you're unsure whether your spring/shock/bar package is optimum, a starting point would be what a similar (weight, tires, power, chassis, wheelbase & track width) car is running to get fast laps, and tune from there. Your setup may vary a bit depending on how much rotation you like, your powerband & gearing, and different track layouts. The clock is the final judge, but it's important that the car isn't fighting you by wearing you out keeping it at the limit.

Re: Reinforced unibody and spring rates [Re: topside] #1179741
02/17/12 06:37 PM
02/17/12 06:37 PM
Nebraska
72Swinger Offline
master
72Swinger  Offline
master

Nebraska
Ive talked about this in another thread,but, in my experience although the car rides and acts stiffer, I feel I am in need of bigger tbars and better shocks more than ever. Doesnt make sense to some, but the bottom line is if i was building a car, I wouldnt dial in my rates until the chassis was stiffended to the point it was going to be used in first.

Mopar to the bone!!!
Re: Reinforced unibody and spring rates [Re: 72Swinger] #1179742
02/17/12 08:18 PM
02/17/12 08:18 PM
Back home in PA
B
BulletBob Offline
master
BulletBob  Offline
master
B

Back home in PA
SB412Duster is the only chassis guy that I know here that's setup circle track & drag cars
He's an original trial & error guy & has a brain full of knowledge. He may can answer the question

Re: Reinforced unibody and spring rates [Re: BulletBob] #1179743
02/17/12 09:17 PM
02/17/12 09:17 PM
IN
A
ahy Offline
master
ahy  Offline
master
A

IN
I added weld in frame connectors, and torque boxes to a '70E. There was a noticable difference driving it before and after with 100% stock suspension. Also a noticable difference jacking it up. Before the upgrade, jacking one corner would visibly twist the car. After it would not.

Then I upgraded to big T bars, sway bars,XHD springs and welded.gusseted K. With the heavier springs, I am sure uneven ground, bumps or cornering loads would twist the frame... I would loose some benefit of the better pieces and eventually crack the unibody.

I am sold on the benefits of the chassis stiffening.

I also believe that "balanced" stifffening can greatly improve handing without making the car unpleasant to drive. "Balanced" meaning frame, springs, sway bars, shocks and tires stiffened up together. If only one or two of those elements are stiffened a lot, there is good chance handling or ride or both will suffer.

Re: Reinforced unibody and spring rates [Re: BulletBob] #1179744
02/17/12 09:19 PM
02/17/12 09:19 PM
up yours
Supercuda Offline
About to go away
Supercuda  Offline
About to go away

up yours
Biggest benefit has got to be a consistent spring rate, rather than the ability to change your spring rate.

They say there are no such thing as a stupid question.
They say there is always the exception that proves the rule.
Don't be the exception.
Re: Reinforced unibody and spring rates [Re: Supercuda] #1179745
02/17/12 10:42 PM
02/17/12 10:42 PM
Granite Bay CA
Kern Dog Offline OP
Striving for excellence
Kern Dog  Offline OP
Striving for excellence

Granite Bay CA
I JUST got back from driving the car after it had been on jackstands for over 3 weeks. With limited time after work and the fact that I hand fabricated everything, I'm okay with how long the job took.
What started all of this for me was that my Charger had the tendency to oversteer when pushed hard into a corner. It didn't matter if I was going uphill or down, coasting or on the brakes. Certainly it was worse under throttle, given the power and the Sure Grip differential. I was and still am leaning toward the belief that my roll stiffness is out of whack, with the rear having a higher rate than the front. With that in mind I know what I can do: Either increase the front or decrease the rear. A tail wagging car is the hot ticket for competition 'Drifting", but for street duty I want the car to be neutral. If I want to hang the tail out, I'll lean on the loud pedal. I've considered switching the end link bushings to rubber since I have a few complete sets here. I also have a few other sized rear sway bars to test. One member suggested to disconnect the rear bar and tie it out of the way, then test it. Good idea, and its free!
Heres something though that I didn't expect. The car actually rides BETTER than it did before! It soaks up the road dips and bumps as if they weren't even there. Whatever squeaks and rattles the car had (Very few) are now gone. I didn't get to push the car very hard during my drive, but it appears that the frame connectors and torque boxes didn't affect the oversteer condition. I don't expect the reinforced K member install will make a difference there either, but I'm still going ahead with it. The improvement in ride comfort alone made the effort worthwhile. With some trial and error, I'll get the car to handle right.

Re: Reinforced unibody and spring rates [Re: Kern Dog] #1179746
02/18/12 10:27 AM
02/18/12 10:27 AM
T
ThermoQuad Offline
top fuel
ThermoQuad  Offline
top fuel
T

"I don't expect the reinforced K member install will make a difference there either, but I'm still going ahead with it."

Frankenduster you will be surprised...maybe even amazed. Be sure to lovingly install the k member and lube the threads on the 4 large bolts and use a torque wrench. Keep up the good work

Re: Reinforced unibody and spring rates [Re: ThermoQuad] #1179747
02/18/12 03:11 PM
02/18/12 03:11 PM
Granite Bay CA
Kern Dog Offline OP
Striving for excellence
Kern Dog  Offline OP
Striving for excellence

Granite Bay CA
I DO expect the reinforced K member to improve steering response and accuracy, but it's the oversteer aspect that I expect to require a different approach. I welded the seams and added a 5/8" skidplate, but I still need to add the washers over the LCA and strut rod holes. After that it gets semi gloss black paint, since I can't seem to bring myself to install a dirty or unpainted part.