02/17/12 01:16 AM
02/17/12 01:16 AM
Eighty Four, PA
B G Racing Offline
master
B G Racing  Offline
master

Eighty Four, PA
I agree this is a place for a lot of attention that is usually missed and always corrected at the bearing surface.But as Dan clarified take as little as possible from the block bores.Having a cam bearing spin and ruin a bore or come out and catch in the lifter area can be costly.If we don't think the fit feels snug enough we will put sleeve/retainer seal behind the bearing,especially on aluninium blocks.

Re: Cam bearing install issue [Re: B G Racing] #1178669
02/17/12 01:23 AM
02/17/12 01:23 AM
Delray beach, Florida
P
Performance Only Offline
top fuel
Performance Only  Offline
top fuel
P

Delray beach, Florida
Quote:

I agree this is a place for a lot of attention that is usually missed and always corrected at the bearing surface.But as Dan clarified take as little as possible from the block bores.Having a cam bearing spin and ruin a bore or come out and catch in the lifter area can be costly.If we don't think the fit feels snug enough we will put sleeve/retainer seal behind the bearing,especially on aluninium blocks.

as far as i'm concerned, all aluminum blocks get loc-tite on the cam bearings at the very least. on blown alky motors running the larger cam cores i normally pin the cam bearings in place as well since they often see 1400+ pound spring loads on a larger bearing surface that could potentially grab a bearing and spin it. it's just a lttle added insurance.

machine shop owner and engine builder
Page 2 of 2 1 2