DusterDave Offline
top fuel
DusterDave  Offline
top fuel
D

Tampa
Quote:

Well folks,

Luck is not on my side. After putting the bull horns on we put it on the chassis dyno to get a good tune. First pull popping and farting like it did in the beginning. I was like damn, this problem won't go away no matter how much electronics I change out. But during the run noticed my horn were shooting out water. Dammit, pulled a plug and turn the car over and there goes the water. Did a leak down test and all my cylinders are good to go. Yanked the head in hopes of this only being a head gasket problem. Well, wrong again. Everyone of my intake runners are cracked to the water jacket. I find this less than a week of being there and heading to Drag Week. So obviously, I have to bow out again... Getting with the company that did the port work in hope they will make this right or help me out. It is clear that there was too much material taken out and made this area weak. So to all the Drag Week'ers, I'll see you next year. If I can't make Monster Mopar, I'll be at Mopar @ the Park for sure...

DJ

DJ, I'm sorry to hear about the cracks, but to a certain extent, I have to agree with some of Ray's comments. If you had discovered the cracks while at Drag Week, you'd either A:) throw a can of Barr's Stop Leak in there, and keep going until the finish, or when the replacement heads came in, or B:) throw your hands up and quit. I know which answer Mr. Miller would have chosen. If you're going to wait until every square inch of your car is 1,000% perfect, then you may never go to DW. Mr. Miller was running on like 5 cylinders toward the end of DW. I think Ray's point was, you've got to have no quit in you in order to persevere in DW, and work through whatever is thrown your way.

Gone to the dark side with an LS3 powered '57 Chevy 210
Re: Drag Week Unlimited Duster [Re: DusterDave] #1166923
08/30/13 10:57 PM
08/30/13 10:57 PM
Topeka Kansas
K
ksj Offline
master
ksj  Offline
master
K

Topeka Kansas
Im sure he could have got things done if he wasn't on a different continent 47 weeks a year.He has more involved with it in his car than Ray or Eddie. Wife just had a baby etc.This isnt the purple duster.Just saying.

Re: Drag Week Unlimited Duster [Re: Scott58] #1166924
08/30/13 11:22 PM
08/30/13 11:22 PM
Akron, Ohio
ProSport Offline
I Live Here
ProSport  Offline
I Live Here

Akron, Ohio
Sorry to hear this DJ, you've worked your butt off, hopefully the place that did your heads can help you out quickly. Car looks incredible.

1970 Challenger, all aluminum 528 Hemi, HDK suspension, Tremec 5 speed manual
Re: Drag Week Unlimited Duster [Re: DusterDave] #1166925
08/30/13 11:32 PM
08/30/13 11:32 PM
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
DusterDj Offline OP
enthusiast
DusterDj  Offline OP
enthusiast

Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
Quote:

as a person that has spent days on end without any sleep in 06 and 08 drag week, this is a poor excuse for not making it.

there are guys on this site that spent 16 straight hours trying to help Eddie get his car ready the day before drag week 09

twice I worked on Eddies car for 15 straight hours after a 10 hour ride to his place and leave at the last second to drive 22 hours to get to Drag Week just in time

this is 3 years of you making claims that you are going to bring a bad ass mopar and have failed to do it. and this excuse is just the worst.

In the past three weeks, I have completely torn apart my engine, sweating my a$$ off, don't have 2 pennies to rub together, yet still dumped $1200 in my slow junk just to make the show

all hype. the car made magazines for doing nothing like most do.

Right this minute I'm waiting for my good friend and his girl and kids to show up and stay the weekend at my house and spend some time at the beach. I met this good friend at Drag Week 06 and spent many sleepless nights helping him on the side of the road.

did you read what kind of effort Leon and Billy's family put in to making the show?

DJ, I am sorry, but I just don't think you have it in you

Mr. P, this in no way is directed at your situation. I know your on a fixed income. IMO, If you want to play with the big boys, less talk more action

Quote:

Quote:

Well folks,

Luck is not on my side. After putting the bull horns on we put it on the chassis dyno to get a good tune. First pull popping and farting like it did in the beginning. I was like damn, this problem won't go away no matter how much electronics I change out. But during the run noticed my horn were shooting out water. Dammit, pulled a plug and turn the car over and there goes the water. Did a leak down test and all my cylinders are good to go. Yanked the head in hopes of this only being a head gasket problem. Well, wrong again. Everyone of my intake runners are cracked to the water jacket. I find this less than a week of being there and heading to Drag Week. So obviously, I have to bow out again... Getting with the company that did the port work in hope they will make this right or help me out. It is clear that there was too much material taken out and made this area weak. So to all the Drag Week'ers, I'll see you next year. If I can't make Monster Mopar, I'll be at Mopar @ the Park for sure...

DJ

DJ, I'm sorry to hear about the cracks, but to a certain extent, I have to agree with some of Ray's comments. If you had discovered the cracks while at Drag Week, you'd either A:) throw a can of Barr's Stop Leak in there, and keep going until the finish, or when the replacement heads came in, or B:) throw your hands up and quit. I know which answer Mr. Miller would have chosen. If you're going to wait until every square inch of your car is 1,000% perfect, then you may never go to DW. Mr. Miller was running on like 5 cylinders toward the end of DW. I think Ray's point was, you've got to have no quit in you in order to persevere in DW, and work through whatever is thrown your way.

It is all good people,

Everyone is entitled to their opinions. Yep, I put it out there that I wanted to compete in Drag Week. Yep, I have missed it for the last three years. Hey my stuff is breaking and I live in Germany. I have been back 5 times this year trying to get licensed and fix the car at the same time you do the math. But in those three years I didn't show for drag week I have expanded my family, both summer time babies, with two beautiful boys and are happier than ever to even have a somewhat functioning/completed Mopar following in my dad's foot steps. Every thing you guys are recommending is great and I hope it all works out for you but some of those fixes just won't work when you're making 2500+ hp. If I was home this would be done and fixed, but working in support for our troop maintaining critical network is what pays the bills and that is why I'm stationed abroad. Sorry I Could not fulfill your expectation in what you think a Drag Week'er is or should be, but I have met mine own expectations and one day will have a problem free Mopar. Till then, I'll keep keeping on.

Last edited by DusterDj; 08/30/13 11:44 PM.

https://www.facebook.com/dusterdj572 Check out my race page and like please.
Re: Drag Week Unlimited Duster [Re: DusterDj] #1166926
08/30/13 11:51 PM
08/30/13 11:51 PM
PA.
pittsburghracer Offline
"Little"John
pittsburghracer  Offline
"Little"John

PA.
Beautiful, fast MOPAR. Go get them next year and keep us updated on any testing.

1970 Duster
Edelbrock headed 408
5.984@112.52
422 Indy headed small block
5.982@112.56 mph
9.42@138.27

Livin and lovin life one day at a time

Re: Drag Week Unlimited Duster [Re: DusterDj] #1166927
08/30/13 11:54 PM
08/30/13 11:54 PM
Tulsa OK
Bad340fish Offline
master
Bad340fish  Offline
master

Tulsa OK
See you on DW 2014

68 Barracuda Formula S 340
Re: Drag Week Unlimited Duster [Re: Bad340fish] #1166928
08/30/13 11:57 PM
08/30/13 11:57 PM
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
DusterDj Offline OP
enthusiast
DusterDj  Offline OP
enthusiast

Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
Quote:

See you on DW 2014

See you @ Mopar's at the Park...

Last edited by DusterDj; 08/30/13 11:58 PM.

Re: Drag Week Unlimited Duster [Re: DusterDj] #1166929
08/31/13 12:40 AM
08/31/13 12:40 AM
Topeka Kansas
K
ksj Offline
master
ksj  Offline
master
K

Topeka Kansas
Finding a rocker bolt broke off and Rocker shafts with cracks sure didn't help. Better to be ready on day one.Breaking after getting there you can deal with.

Re: Drag Week Unlimited Duster [Re: ksj] #1166930
08/31/13 01:06 AM
08/31/13 01:06 AM
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
DusterDj Offline OP
enthusiast
DusterDj  Offline OP
enthusiast

Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
Quote:

Finding a rocker bolt broke off and Rocker shafts with cracks sure didn't help. Better to be ready on day one.Breaking after getting there you can deal with.

Yeah, forgot to list that but more to work. At least I know what may fail and I'll have extras for next year...

Re: Drag Week Unlimited Duster [Re: DusterDj] #1166931
08/31/13 01:56 AM
08/31/13 01:56 AM
Topeka Kansas
K
ksj Offline
master
ksj  Offline
master
K

Topeka Kansas
Ed weirdo ran the bottle.As far as I know you are the first to use forced induction.Different ball game when it comes to DW

Re: Drag Week Unlimited Duster [Re: ksj] #1166932
08/31/13 03:39 AM
08/31/13 03:39 AM
ONTARIO,CANADA
604 Hemi GTX Offline
mopar
604 Hemi GTX  Offline
mopar

ONTARIO,CANADA
What cylinder head you running on your engine?
Just Curious
Kevin

Re: Drag Week Unlimited Duster [Re: 604 Hemi GTX] #1166933
08/31/13 03:55 AM
08/31/13 03:55 AM
Topeka Kansas
K
ksj Offline
master
ksj  Offline
master
K

Topeka Kansas
See you in Tulsa the end of Oct.

Re: Drag Week Unlimited Duster [Re: ksj] #1166934
08/31/13 04:37 AM
08/31/13 04:37 AM
Phoenix, AZ
M
MoparBilly Offline
master
MoparBilly  Offline
master
M

Phoenix, AZ
Quote:

Ed weirdo ran the bottle.As far as I know you are the first to use forced induction.Different ball game when it comes to DW

How is it a different ballgame Don? 5 timeslips, from 4 different tracks, driving in between. No one is holding a gun to anyone's head when you choose how to get there.

What's the quickest pro-charged car to finish, 7.80's..??

How many parts, and how much work did Go-Green put into a boosted wedge, before he figured out a combination that would go fast and live one race, let alone a whole week on the street?

When DJ shows a video of an 8.23-168, then comments...

"She should go high 6 seconds with no problem once we get a good base tune and have all the sensors reporting to the EFI right"

... it seems like an affront to everyone who has made the effort to find that much E.T. in the past. Project Sick Seconds never made it, and that was a high dollar, high effort attempt by a former Drag Week winner.

I understand how difficult it must be this year, to feel like you've finally got it together, and then get kicked in the teeth, lord knows we saw it on display with Doug Cline last year!

"Livin' in a powder keg and givin' off sparks" 4 Street cars, 5 Race engines
Re: Drag Week Unlimited Duster [Re: sixpackgut] #1166935
08/31/13 09:51 AM
08/31/13 09:51 AM
cincinnati ohio
M
mcat4321 Offline
master
mcat4321  Offline
master
M

cincinnati ohio
Quote:

as a person that has spent days on end without any sleep in 06 and 08 drag week, this is a poor excuse for not making it.

there are guys on this site that spent 16 straight hours trying to help Eddie get his car ready the day before drag week 09

twice I worked on Eddies car for 15 straight hours after a 10 hour ride to his place and leave at the last second to drive 22 hours to get to Drag Week just in time

this is 3 years of you making claims that you are going to bring a bad ass mopar and have failed to do it. and this excuse is just the worst.

In the past three weeks, I have completely torn apart my engine, sweating my a$$ off, don't have 2 pennies to rub together, yet still dumped $1200 in my slow junk just to make the show

Right this minute I'm waiting for my good friend and his girl and kids to show up and stay the weekend at my house and spend some time at the beach. I met this good friend at Drag Week 06 and spent many sleepless nights helping him on the side of the road.

did you read what kind of effort Leon and Billy's family put in to making the show?

Mr. P, this in no way is directed at your situation. I know your on a fixed income. IMO, If you want to play with the big boys, less talk more action

i have to agree here. if its important to you, you find a way. if its not, you find excuses. Eric Yost broke a rod in his brand new 7 second car less that 5 days ago,while testing. tore some sh!t up... i bet he is there.

Re: Drag Week Unlimited Duster [Re: mcat4321] #1166936
08/31/13 03:38 PM
08/31/13 03:38 PM
Phoenix, AZ
M
MoparBilly Offline
master
MoparBilly  Offline
master
M

Phoenix, AZ
I am not in any way questioning DJ's heart or desire, by what I've saw to this point, that car has came a long, long way! Larry Larson just makes this look way easier than it is from the outside. I was hoping DJ would go this year, if only to watch everyone else who struggles so hard just to survive from day to day. Joe Barry comes to mind as someone who has taken an absolute beating the last couple of years with vey few good runs to show for it.

"Livin' in a powder keg and givin' off sparks" 4 Street cars, 5 Race engines
Re: Drag Week Unlimited Duster [Re: mcat4321] #1166937
08/31/13 04:04 PM
08/31/13 04:04 PM
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
DusterDj Offline OP
enthusiast
DusterDj  Offline OP
enthusiast

Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
Quote:

Quote:

i have to agree here. if its important to you, you find a way. if its not, you find excuses. Eric Yost broke a rod in his brand new 7 second car less that 5 days ago,while testing. tore some sh!t up... i bet he is there.

Ok,

Forget that I want to do Drag Week because when I am ready I'll just show up. This will be my last post here so it doesn't seem like I'm blowing allot of wolf tickets at you guys. I'm just trying to have a fast Mopar first and foremost. Pops warned me of being so public about my ride and I just wanted to share it with you all and possibly learn from some of the guru's on here. I can't help that I'm currently in Germany and my car is in Oklahoma and me my guys caught a major problem the day before Labor day weekend and a week out from Drag Week. I thought us Mopar guys are suppose to stick together but I guess I need to be real with myself. My boys on here know how to get a hold of me and when I do get the numbers I'm chasing you all will know. For the others, I'll see you around...

Re: Drag Week Unlimited Duster [Re: DusterDj] #1166938
08/31/13 04:16 PM
08/31/13 04:16 PM
Nebraska
72Swinger Offline
master
72Swinger  Offline
master

Nebraska
I'll bet SOMEBODY has some B1's you could put you valves and springs into.

Mopar to the bone!!!
Re: Drag Week Unlimited Duster [Re: DusterDj] #1166939
08/31/13 04:45 PM
08/31/13 04:45 PM
southern Maryland
K
keefe Offline
mopar
keefe  Offline
mopar
K

southern Maryland
Ok,

Forget that I want to do Drag Week because when I am ready I'll just show up. This will be my last post here so it doesn't seem like I'm blowing allot of wolf tickets at you guys. I'm just trying to have a fast Mopar first and foremost. Pops warned me of being so public about my ride and I just wanted to share it with you all and possibly learn from some of the guru's on here. I can't help that I'm currently in Germany and my car is in Oklahoma and me my guys caught a major problem the day before Labor day weekend and a week out from Drag Week. I thought us Mopar guys are suppose to stick together but I guess I need to be real with myself. My boys on here know how to get a hold of me and when I do get the numbers I'm chasing you all will know. For the others, I'll see you around...

Hi D.J. sorry for your luck, I for one would like to be keeped in the loop on the progress of your Duster. You can P.m. me here so I can give you my contact info if you like .
Thanks keefe

1971 duster twister 440, 3380#,509 M/P hyd,906's,full Exhaust,11.06@117.46 1/4,6.95@ 97.03 1/8,1.497 60ft.....
Re: Drag Week Unlimited Duster [Re: DusterDj] #1166940
08/31/13 05:07 PM
08/31/13 05:07 PM
Charleston
S
sixpackgut Offline
Drag Week Mod Champion
sixpackgut  Offline
Drag Week Mod Champion
S

Charleston
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Ok,

Mopar guys need to have more heart and thicker skin than brand x. I was unaware you were still in Germany but the fact remains that in 3 days time you could have a set of heads bolted on that car and running. cast stock ports or cnc'ed. please don't think I wasn't rooting for you to run well at Drag Week

Gen 3 power 6.22@110, 9.85@135
Follow @g3hemiswap on instagram

performance only racing, CRT, ultimate converter, superior design concepts, ThumperCarbs
Re: Drag Week Unlimited Duster [Re: bigdad] #1166941
08/31/13 05:20 PM
08/31/13 05:20 PM
cincinnati ohio
M
mcat4321 Offline
master
mcat4321  Offline
master
M

cincinnati ohio
https://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/newr...mp;vc=1&q=1
problem solved..i will even cover the overnight charges...

Page 18 of 21 1 2 16 17 18 19 20 21