If you can't dazzle em with diamonds..
jcc  Offline
J

Bitopia
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Is it anything like CornerCarvers, arrogant snob's (and I very rarely, rarely resort to name calling , but CC leaves me no choice )?

No.

Almost all race oriented tech. Not a lot of street stuff.

No protouring A/C, P/W, shiny paint type stuff.

You have to meet some of these guys to really understand, but suffice it to say that this is NOT the whine and cheese crowd.........

I will always try to keep an open mind, however RP with 200 wins is still a nice guy, and arrogant snob would NEVER cross anyone's mind when talking to him, Its Ok to be smarter, more gifted, more experienced, etc then anybody else, but looking down on people for what seems to be THE objective over there is not OK in my book, and I also think there is merit to the saying about the company one keeps.

Bottom line, I don't see "corners best" going that direction, and that is fine by me.

Reality check, that half the population is smarter then 50% of the people and it's a constantly contested fact.
Re: So, how many are on Mopax? [Re: Daty Rogers] #1159957
01/20/12 12:09 AM
01/20/12 12:09 AM
Plano, TX
68440fish Offline
68440fish  Offline

Plano, TX
Quote:

A LOT of what I learned are from the folks there, so how many Mopax members are here? They can totally school you on handling.

-Daty

Hi Daty.

Mopax - I am mostly a lurker, I read posts every two to three days at a minimum, sometimes daily. Wish I could have a track car - no place to keep one, no time to work on one. Used to crew on a few round track cars including a Mopar.

Besides, need to finish my street car first. Too many little kids running around this place, not much time for dad these days.

Now Moparts: generally speaking can't say I have been that active here.

Michael Plano, TX 68 Barracuda Notch Pro Patina
Re: So, how many are on Mopax? [Re: jcc] #1159958
01/20/12 04:00 AM
01/20/12 04:00 AM
So Cal
autoxcuda Offline
Too Many Posts
autoxcuda  Offline
Too Many Posts

So Cal
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Is it anything like CornerCarvers, arrogant snob's (and I very rarely, rarely resort to name calling , but CC leaves me no choice )?

No. They (Mopax) are not arrogant snobs. -Sorry I should have wrote that more specific.

You have to meet some of these guys to really understand, but suffice it to say that this is NOT the whine and cheese crowd.........

I will always try to keep an open mind, however RP with 200 wins is still a nice guy, and arrogant snob would NEVER cross anyone's mind when talking to him, Its Ok to be smarter, more gifted, more experienced, etc then anybody else, but looking down on people for what seems to be THE objective over there is not OK in my book, and I also think there is merit to the saying about the company one keeps.

Bottom line, I don't see "corners best" going that direction, and that is fine by me.

Sorry If I wasn't clear. The Mopax group is not full of arrogant snobs nor has the attitude that CornerCarvers has.

Re: So, how many are on Mopax? [Re: autoxcuda] #1159959
01/20/12 01:46 PM
01/20/12 01:46 PM
Fresno, CA
Jim_Lusk Offline
I Live Here
Jim_Lusk  Offline
I Live Here

Fresno, CA
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

No. They (Mopax) are not arrogant snobs. -Sorry I should have wrote that more specific.

Sorry If I wasn't clear. The Mopax group is not full of arrogant snobs nor has the attitude that CornerCarvers has.

Steve, I think you were clear and I thought I was clear, but you never know how things are read.........

Re: So, how many are on Mopax? [Re: Daty Rogers] #1159960
01/25/12 02:31 PM
01/25/12 02:31 PM
USA
S
Slider Offline
super gas
Slider  Offline
super gas
S

USA
Mostly a lurker over there (here, too, these days).

Learned A LOT just by reading the daily updates. Kinda like I know guys I have never met! LOL!

Discussions here on Moparts led me over there eons ago. And, kind of fitting, Daty's post over there lead me to this section, which I had failed to notice on my own.

Thanks, Daty!

Re: So, how many are on Mopax? [Re: Slider] #1159961
01/27/12 04:41 PM
01/27/12 04:41 PM
NW Chicago suburban area
Mopar Mitch Offline
pro stock
Mopar Mitch  Offline
pro stock

NW Chicago suburban area
I'm on MOPAX.com almost every day. I offer my experience from SCCA Solo II/autocross, as well as some hi-speed road course autocross events, all stemming with the same Dodge Challenger T/A (detailed clone) which is nationally prepared to compete with the SCCA Solo II class of E/Street Prepared. I've owned the car since 1975 (just a young 19 yrs old then!); I progressively modified the car per SCCA Solo II rules. I've won many Chicago Region and other local season championships throughout the 1980s-mid-1990s. Curently, I use the car for "social" hi-speed road course track-lapping sessions (Elkhart Lk, WI Road America; Joliet, IL Rt. 66 Autobahn; Blackhawk Farms, WIS). I'm a member of the Midwest Council Of Sports Car Clubs; occasionall "road race Pace Car". AND... the car is displayed at various wknd local car shows, but I favor the Mopar car shows. The car performs outstandingly well, especially with a fresh set of sticky Hoosier DOT 275-45-16 race radials as mounted on my 16x10 rims front/rear. Over the past 35+ yrs, I've accumulated over 250 awards predominatly from racing and some shows. It's best magazine feature was in MOPAR ACTION, August 2006 issue, as well as a few others from the past.

Mopar Mitch
Chgo area
Challenger T/A #76 E/SP

Mopar Mitch "Road racers and autocrossers go in deeper and come out harder!"... and rain never stops us from having fun with our cars... in fact, it makes us better drivers! Check out MOPAR ACTION MAGAZINE, August 2006 issue for feature article and specs on my autocross T/A!
Re: So, how many are on Mopax? [Re: Mopar Mitch] #1159962
01/27/12 04:50 PM
01/27/12 04:50 PM
Bitopia
J
jcc Offline
jcc  Offline
J

Bitopia
Quote:

The car performs outstandingly well, especially with a fresh set of sticky Hoosier DOT 275-45-16 race radials as mounted on my 16x10 rims front/rear. .......

Mopar Mitch
Chgo area
Challenger T/A #76 E/SP

So more info on these tires, such as is it imperative the rest of the chassis be at same performance level, or can the chassis "chase" the tires as it is upgraded over time, how driver friendly are they, ie is breakaway rapid or is warning dialed in, is there a 17-18" equal, 16's would not be my first choice, would they today be yours? What is your car's race weight? have you entered your cars specs in our performance mod register, I'd sure like to review it

Reality check, that half the population is smarter then 50% of the people and it's a constantly contested fact.
Re: So, how many are on Mopax? [Re: jcc] #1159963
01/30/12 05:43 PM
01/30/12 05:43 PM
NW Chicago suburban area
Mopar Mitch Offline
pro stock
Mopar Mitch  Offline
pro stock

NW Chicago suburban area
The Hoosier race radials are track intended, but DOT-legal by the bare minimum design for DOT. You don't want to drive them on the street if you can avoid it... they'll pick up nails, etc, and you'll be heat-cycling them prematurely... waisting you hard-spent $$$$ (like ~$1200+ for a set of 4).

My car weighs ~3150 in race trim (1/4 tank of gas), without me. This is all legal simply by reducing weight of replacable parts (cast iron to alluminum, race seats, rims/tires, stereo/speakers, etc).

I've encouraged racers that you must consider an overall "package" to be competative -- if you scimp here or there for your personal reasons, such as a comfortable ride, etc, you lose. Go all out and win... the nut behind the wheel is most important, regardles of how well the car may be setup, or how many mods and $$$$ is invested.

Mopar Mitch
Chgo area

Mopar Mitch "Road racers and autocrossers go in deeper and come out harder!"... and rain never stops us from having fun with our cars... in fact, it makes us better drivers! Check out MOPAR ACTION MAGAZINE, August 2006 issue for feature article and specs on my autocross T/A!
Re: So, how many are on Mopax? [Re: jcc] #1159964
01/30/12 05:51 PM
01/30/12 05:51 PM
NW Chicago suburban area
Mopar Mitch Offline
pro stock
Mopar Mitch  Offline
pro stock

NW Chicago suburban area
Here's anopther reply on the rim size... when I raced seriously years ago in the SCCA Street Preparted catagory, the 16s were the hot setup, even favored over the 17-18 then... but times have changed. I'd probably get 17x11 rims now and run 315 or 335-35x17 front and rear... which means I'd have to modify my fender lips a little more (not a factor to me other than the minor cost/time, etc... S/P rules allow fender mods/flairs). also... its bigger bucks today for that switch... my 16x10 Centerline X-series race rims are paid for, as well as the lips modified accordingly as needed... just slightly. SO..if I'd run into some extra $$$$ today.. sure, I'd go 17X11 rims f/r with 335x35x17 Hoosiers. 18s??? bigger bucks overall and perhaps not the best choice as other top racers seem to be staying with the 17s for the SCCA E/SP class.

Mopar Mitch Lelito
Chgo area

Re: So, how many are on Mopax? [Re: Mopar Mitch] #1159965
01/30/12 11:30 PM
01/30/12 11:30 PM
central CT
cudazappa Offline
super stock
cudazappa  Offline
super stock

central CT
Another Mopax guy here... mostly lurker but I'll pop my head up now and then...

1971 Challenger
Re: So, how many are on Mopax? [Re: Mopar Mitch] #1159966
01/30/12 11:42 PM
01/30/12 11:42 PM
Bitopia
J
jcc Offline
jcc  Offline
J

Bitopia
Thanks for your helpful comments. You don't sound like you think there will be a continuing upward progression on wheel dia. I can't agree or disagree.

In my case competitive car vs car track time is not in the cards, too much money, time, hassle, politics, etc, and I hate to lose. However track days can be a great deal of fun, with my less pressure, and interacting with my sons in a richer environment. I have no experience with road racing slicks, and as much as I want a stickier tire, I think something user friendly, with a decent amount of warning as to the tires limits might be a better solution, hence the purpose of my original question. Anything else you might add? Thanks

And your comment I think regarding "seat time" seems to get often overlooked.

Re: So, how many are on Mopax? [Re: jcc] #1159967
01/31/12 01:07 PM
01/31/12 01:07 PM
NW Chicago suburban area
Mopar Mitch Offline
pro stock
Mopar Mitch  Offline
pro stock

NW Chicago suburban area
Having more than one set of rims makes the choice easier --- street tires, track tires, etc. For street (local driving and hwy cruises to/from shows, etc), I have 15x8 mini-lite rims (replicas of the T/A vintage heritage) with BFG Rad T/As (245-60 front, 275-60 rear). The tall rear tire is good for lowering the hwy rpms (current 3.23 gear, 727 trans). These BFGs are not very good on a road course track (and completely unsuitable for a parking lot auto-x), but they serve the overall daily need.... I may eventually replace them with 295-50-15 BFG Rad T/As for the "wider" look, though not much to gain on a road race track and the hwy rpms will then increase a little. For my serious racing (parking lot auto-x or hi-speed solo-road course competition, my 16x10 rims are the ticket with sticky tires (Hoosier A6 models are the best!), but then... I have to either change the tires at the track, or trailer the car (I own a nice open/wide trailer (fits in the garage/important!) but recently sold my tow vehicle... hope to get another in a year or two from now). In my opinion, and I am considering to purchase, the Kumho Excsta (I think that's the correct model, treaded for hi-performance summer and track days), having a tread-wear rating of ~180 (Hoosiers are ~50), are a pretty good comprimise for street/hwy/road-track time (and perhaps "street tire" parking lot auto-x class. the Kumho offers a largest 16" size 265-45-16, so, that would be OK for my car and 16x10 rims... drive to/from the road course events and be fairly competative... but then, I'm making a comprimise, so, I'd lose to the cars on Hoosiers A6 tires. At this time, I, too, am just out for good friendly social time with the car and my friends, and plan/hope/dream to get my 3 kids (19, 16, 13) eventually behind the wheel of my Challenger at some competative events.... but $$$$ is tight now. One final note, again, I strongly suggest to get/read the Mopar Action magazine August 2006 issue... it covers my t/A and my good friend John Sandberg's SCCA Solo II C/Prepared AAR Cuda in good detail of our history and mods to the cars.

Re: So, how many are on Mopax? [Re: Mopar Mitch] #1159968
01/31/12 01:13 PM
01/31/12 01:13 PM
Warren, MI
J
Jerry Offline
master
Jerry  Offline
master
J

Warren, MI
Why not use 17 or 18" wheels? is the tire selection worse or are the 16s just what you have and are sticking with them? i also have 16x8 wheels and have been thinking of swapping them over to 17s or 18s in hopes of finding more available tires.

Superior Design Concepts
2574 Elliott Dr
Troy MI 48083
jerry@sdconcepts.com
www.sdconcepts.com
Facebook page: Superior Design Concepts
www.bcrproducts.com
Re: So, how many are on Mopax? [Re: Daty Rogers] #1159969
01/31/12 08:17 PM
01/31/12 08:17 PM
Pikes Peak Country
T
TC@HP2 Offline
master
TC@HP2  Offline
master
T

Pikes Peak Country
I am a member of mopax and drop in from time to time but don't follow it daily. Like Autoxcuda said, it is populated by the nitty gritty, make it work, not much shiny stuff crowd that tends to lean towards rules restriced racing where there is not a lot of latitude in interpretation.

Im also a member of moparchat. When there I find myself reading the oval track section. Like mopax, it tends to be populated by the get it done, don't worry about looks, how can we manipulate the rules crowd.

I also visit pro-touring mopar. Since that is the genre most closely associated with handling these days, I do find some intersting info there as well as providing info from time to time too. However, as a genra, bling seems to be as important as the function, so I don't aways really dig on some of the buildups, even though they are impressive.

I visit pro-touring.com as some of the technical info there is extensive and deep. It does take some weeding out to sort the GM specific from technically relevent info occasionally, and it also is a bit blingy at times, but overall pretty decent.

Read through corner carvers a few times and never really found myself caring much for it. Attitudes, rules, and format all worked in a manner that encouraged me to delete it from my favorites.

Re: So, how many are on Mopax? [Re: Jerry] #1159970
01/31/12 08:20 PM
01/31/12 08:20 PM
Pikes Peak Country
T
TC@HP2 Offline
master
TC@HP2  Offline
master
T

Pikes Peak Country
Quote:

Why not use 17 or 18" wheels? is the tire selection worse or are the 16s just what you have and are sticking with them? i also have 16x8 wheels and have been thinking of swapping them over to 17s or 18s in hopes of finding more available tires.

Because in the world of race tires, it is a whole 'nuther animal in price, performance, and availability than what you may be familiar with in street tires. Heck, in the race tire world, 15" are still competitive rubber. There is also that nagging little issue of rule compliance that you need to keep in mind.

Re: So, how many are on Mopax? [Re: Jerry] #1159971
02/02/12 04:12 PM
02/02/12 04:12 PM
NW Chicago suburban area
Mopar Mitch Offline
pro stock
Mopar Mitch  Offline
pro stock

NW Chicago suburban area
As for why I use the 16" rims?... because they are paid-for many years ago... the 16s were then the hot setup (~thru the late 80s-early 90s) and my car was then setup for those those, as well as the fender lips modified slightly (255-50-16 BFG Comp T/A race radials... later 275-45-16 Hoosier A6 DOT race radials... always with the "soft autocross compound"). Keep in mind -- One of the major reasons switching to 17"-18" rims is to accomodate larger diameter brakes... I still have the stock brakes f/r on my T/A... maybe someday I'll get larger brakes, but whatever I do... I'll remain following the SCCA Solo II E/Street Prepared class rules so that I'll remain legal in that class.... (need to review their changing rules IF I ever choose to get back real serious with them in the furture again).... unless I choose to change the setup for another set of rules from some other club, etc).

Re: So, how many are on Mopax? [Re: Mopar Mitch] #1159972
02/06/12 03:30 AM
02/06/12 03:30 AM
Los Angeles, CA
JF_Moparts Offline
super stock
JF_Moparts  Offline
super stock

Los Angeles, CA
The group sounds great! So how does a guy like me get access to Mopax?

Re: So, how many are on Mopax? [Re: JF_Moparts] #1159973
02/06/12 06:04 AM
02/06/12 06:04 AM
Texas
D
Daty Rogers Offline OP
World's Greatest Husband. I love you Robyn
Daty Rogers  Offline OP
World's Greatest Husband. I love you Robyn
D

Texas
Contact someone who is on Moparts. (hint hint)

-Daty

Page 2 of 2 1 2