Tucson AZ,
M
MadMopars Offline OP
pro stock
MadMopars  Offline OP
pro stock
M

Tucson AZ,
Just curious as to what the hot set up is for getting a higher output alternator for a 440 in a 75 Dodge D300. My alternator is getting tired and even on there best day the stock alternators hardly keep up with the load. What's the down and dirty way of upgrading from the stock type? Any ideas? -Trent

[img]https://s9.postimg.cc/6fbjxzfvv/48-2016-_Drag-_Weekend-_Best-_Burnouts-lpr.jpg[/img]

73 GTX *440*727*8 3/4*
69 DART GT *440*4 SPEED*DANA*
73 ROAD RUNNER *451*4 SPEED*DANA*
64 F100 *383*4 SPEED*9"*
75 DODGE D300 *440*4 SPEED*DANA*
99 DODGE RAM 3500 4X4 DUALLY... ON 38"s
Re: High output alternator, What's the hot set up? [Re: MadMopars] #115839
09/06/08 09:48 AM
09/06/08 09:48 AM
Tucson AZ,
M
MadMopars Offline OP
pro stock
MadMopars  Offline OP
pro stock
M

Tucson AZ,
BTT

[img]https://s9.postimg.cc/6fbjxzfvv/48-2016-_Drag-_Weekend-_Best-_Burnouts-lpr.jpg[/img]

73 GTX *440*727*8 3/4*
69 DART GT *440*4 SPEED*DANA*
73 ROAD RUNNER *451*4 SPEED*DANA*
64 F100 *383*4 SPEED*9"*
75 DODGE D300 *440*4 SPEED*DANA*
99 DODGE RAM 3500 4X4 DUALLY... ON 38"s
Re: High output alternator, What's the hot set up? [Re: MadMopars] #115840
09/06/08 10:11 AM
09/06/08 10:11 AM
Lincoln Nebraska
R
RapidRobert Offline
Circle Track
RapidRobert  Offline
Circle Track
R

Lincoln Nebraska
you have the pretty good (at the time) squareback alt. I would suggest a denso & someone here sells the brackets for this conversion. Other ideas would be to clean all conections & possibly add relays for the headlights and or bypassing the bulkhead/ammeter.

live every 24 hour block of time like it's your last day on earth
Re: High output alternator, What's the hot set up? [Re: RapidRobert] #115841
09/06/08 11:51 AM
09/06/08 11:51 AM
Valencia, España
NachoRT74 Offline
master
NachoRT74  Offline
master

Valencia, España
or you can get an upgrade kit, keeping the stock look and brackets/pulleys setup by:
http://store.alternatorparts.com/daimlerchrysler.aspx

and beside that forgett what everybody says about bypass anything and:
read here

With a Charger born in Chrysler assembly plant in Valencia, Venezuela
Re: High output alternator, What's the hot set up? [Re: MadMopars] #115842
09/06/08 12:05 PM
09/06/08 12:05 PM
Rancho Cordova, CA
Exit1965 Offline
master
Exit1965  Offline
master

Rancho Cordova, CA
Probably easiest is the 78 amp alternator from early 80s Diplomats and such. I dont know about your wiring but on my '67 dart it was as easy as grounding one of the field wires (to the alt. case, there is a terminal for it) and running an 8 gauge wire to the starter relay from the alt. output terminal (with fusible link.

I am running about 24 amps of electric fans (3 fans), and it charges great.

Re: High output alternator, What's the hot set up? [Re: NachoRT74] #115843
09/06/08 03:41 PM
09/06/08 03:41 PM
Lake Orion, MI
goldduster318 Offline
pro stock
goldduster318  Offline
pro stock

Lake Orion, MI
Quote:

or you can get an upgrade kit, keeping the stock look and brackets/pulleys setup by:

read here

Most ammeters on muscle era (and mid 70's) mopars are NOT capable of handling the increased amperage of an alternator greater than 60 in most cases to 78 in the later model cases. You will find if the battery ever gets discharged and you have to jump the car to get home that the gauge pegs.

check out http://www.madelectrical.com/electricaltech/amp-gauges.shtml

I have my Duster set up almost exactly like they say in this article and it definitely increased the effectiveness of the charging system. I run a Volt Gauge instead. I have since swapped out my whole cluster so my volt gauge is in the dash now.

I would say, ideally, you'd want to take as much electrical load off of the dash harness on these cars as you can. This can be accomplished by doing the mod as i talk about above and things such as relaying the headlights. The stock alt setup with a higher amp alternator WILL melt your dash harness after a while as well. I KNOW this too well. 12 gauge wire +60 amps or more=melting

'70 Duster 470hp 340/T56 Magnum/8 3/4 3.23 Sure-Grip
Re: High output alternator, What's the hot set up? [Re: goldduster318] #115844
09/07/08 12:22 AM
09/07/08 12:22 AM
Back home in PA
B
BulletBob Offline
master
BulletBob  Offline
master
B

Back home in PA
I went with the Denso & the wiring for it from my donor. Connected it to the factory field wires & used the primary wire too. I bypassed the amp guage that was only designed for 75 or a little more amps. Why try pushing 150 amps thru it? By using the donor primary wire it has multiple fuse links for adding more accessories. By running the primary to the starter relay it allowed me to have two large power wires on the inside. I split the load on one wire by splitting the circuit on the back of the fuse box by using two. My headlights don't pulse at idle,my blower motor rpm stays the same at idle as well as off.I think there was a member on here that put a Denso on a Big Block using what looked like factory brackets & spacers. He posted a pic a while back.

Re: High output alternator, What's the hot set up? [Re: MadMopars] #115845
09/07/08 01:16 AM
09/07/08 01:16 AM
Oregon
A
AndyF Offline
I Win
AndyF  Offline
I Win
A

Oregon
Mancini Racing sells a kit that hangs a 120 amp Denso alternator from a later model Dodge van onto a big block.

Re: High output alternator, What's the hot set up? [Re: goldduster318] #115846
09/08/08 01:26 PM
09/08/08 01:26 PM
Valencia, España
NachoRT74 Offline
master
NachoRT74  Offline
master

Valencia, España
Quote:

Quote:

read here

Most ammeters on muscle era (and mid 70's) mopars are NOT capable of handling the increased amperage of an alternator greater than 60 in most cases to 78 in the later model cases. You will find if the battery ever gets discharged and you have to jump the car to get home that the gauge pegs.

check out http://www.madelectrical.com/electricaltech/amp-gauges.shtml

YOU DON'T NEED AN AMMETER needing to drive the extra load that newer or upgraded alt gives because IF ALT feeds all teh car, power never goes trhought ammeter UNLESS you fit relays on batt, what is simply WRONG. Everything must be hooked on alt side no matter if on alt stud or same ammeter stud.

all the power demand is on alt side, and JUST WHEN ALT is not able to drive the car demand, then the power goes throught ammeter coming from batt, OR after get the juice from bat and increase RPMs then power is feeding/charging back the batt... For a while alts feeds all the car demand and car never needs for juice from batt or batt never needs to get recharged, amm needle stays on dead center.

the deal is try to get the batt out of the game more as posible, no matter if because car needs more juice than alt is able to feed or because batt needs to be highly recharged

ammeter is really a gauge what says you how much power is coming or going to/from batt. If batt never gets in power play, ammeter never feels the power going thru, so never gets heat.

with an upgraded charging system, you just get power comig from batt so going trought ammeter on start up and with engine off or when alt doesn't feed the demand on certain points.

Is My and some other ppl experience and is a prooved upgraded without modify anything. I'm playing the upgrade I posted on DC.com SINCE 3 YEARS NOW, and simply with a newer Mopar stock alt. And still feel the confidence to fit a 100 amps alt or more!!!

you need just to take care to NOT RECHARGE THE BATT from a full discharge status on your car, thats all!!! thats the only moment you really have to worry of ammeter.

and IF YOU DECIDE to charge the batt on car, you still have an easy solution... drive a direct wire from alt to batt to jump the system just for a while you get charged the batt.

what madelectrical states on website IS NOT 100% true. They state with mod, now main splice is outside the cab on starter relay stud what is SIMPLY WRONG... main splice is still inside the cab and there is not a way ( at least an easy way ) to change that.

beside that with that modification tehy are only saving the weak point of bulkhead terminals, but STILL the load is being drive for couple of thin wires, so STILL you have a weak system there what is not able to drive extra loads. Then you are getting power on couple of single wires no matter where power is coming from, if alt or batt, so you have the same ammount of wires than the original system.

and honestly, if I'm going to trust on charging status between volt and ammeter, I trust more on an ammeter. Shame that is true that they should be designed to hold better/more load, and Mopart shoudl use better quality alt design to be able to charge at iddle .

of course, both gauges working together is even better!!!

Re: High output alternator, What's the hot set up? [Re: NachoRT74] #115847
09/08/08 01:46 PM
09/08/08 01:46 PM
Valencia, España
NachoRT74 Offline
master
NachoRT74  Offline
master

Valencia, España
AAAND if we are still worried about the ammeter load limit, we can modify the load scale with:

http://www.allaboutcircuits.com/vol_1/chpt_8/4.html

and will be able to drive more load still with same ammeter.

but still not necesary

Re: High output alternator, What's the hot set up? [Re: NachoRT74] #115848
09/08/08 03:09 PM
09/08/08 03:09 PM
Richmond, VA
VT_Dart Offline
master
VT_Dart  Offline
master

Richmond, VA
Quote:

YOU DON'T NEED AN AMMETER needing to drive the extra load that newer or upgraded alt gives because IF ALT feeds all teh car, power never goes trhought ammeter UNLESS you fit relays on batt, what is simply WRONG. Everything must be hooked on alt side no matter if on alt stud or same ammeter stud.

That would be true if people had a modified factory system. The way the factory wiring is configured, power is fed AFTER the ammeter, therefore requiring that the entire lead first feeds through the ammeter and then to the starter relay distribution point.

Say you're pulling 100 amps (stereo, fans, headlights, etc, etc) from the alternator. Where do most of these things hook up? Stereo... battery post, fans... battery post or starter relay stud. All of these are fed through the ammeter in a factory system: alternator > ammeter > starter relay > battery. So unless you're trying to feed power directly from the alternator (which, btw isn't a good idea when dealing with components such as stereos due to it not being 100% rectified), you're still pulling it through the ammeter.

Darrah Heath
Re: High output alternator, What's the hot set up? [Re: VT_Dart] #115849
09/08/08 03:27 PM
09/08/08 03:27 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

the alt is not really supposed to carry the load. thats the batteries job. The alt is just meant to recharge the battery. The ammeter is just supposed to tell you how much charging the battery is getting (if any)

Re: High output alternator, What's the hot set up? #115850
09/08/08 03:56 PM
09/08/08 03:56 PM
Chicago, Illinois
Devil Offline
I Live Here
Devil  Offline
I Live Here

Chicago, Illinois
Here is another good alternative with the original alternator.

http://allpar.com/history/mopar/electrical.html

Ryan

Re: High output alternator, What's the hot set up? [Re: NachoRT74] #115851
09/08/08 08:44 PM
09/08/08 08:44 PM
Lake Orion, MI
goldduster318 Offline
pro stock
goldduster318  Offline
pro stock

Lake Orion, MI
Quote:

all the power demand is on alt side, and JUST WHEN ALT is not able to drive the car demand, then the power goes throught ammeter coming from batt, OR after get the juice from bat and increase RPMs then power is feeding/charging back the batt... For a while alts feeds all the car demand and car never needs for juice from batt or batt never needs to get recharged, amm needle stays on dead center.

the deal is try to get the batt out of the game more as posible, no matter if because car needs more juice than alt is able to feed or because batt needs to be highly recharged

ammeter is really a gauge what says you how much power is coming or going to/from batt. If batt never gets in power play, ammeter never feels the power going thru, so never gets heat.

with an upgraded charging system, you just get power comig from batt so going trought ammeter on start up and with engine off or when alt doesn't feed the demand on certain points.

Is My and some other ppl experience and is a prooved upgraded without modify anything. I'm playing the upgrade I posted on DC.com SINCE 3 YEARS NOW, and simply with a newer Mopar stock alt. And still feel the confidence to fit a 100 amps alt or more!!!

you need just to take care to NOT RECHARGE THE BATT from a full discharge status on your car, thats all!!! thats the only moment you really have to worry of ammeter.

and IF YOU DECIDE to charge the batt on car, you still have an easy solution... drive a direct wire from alt to batt to jump the system just for a while you get charged the batt.

what madelectrical states on website IS NOT 100% true. They state with mod, now main splice is outside the cab on starter relay stud what is SIMPLY WRONG... main splice is still inside the cab and there is not a way ( at least an easy way ) to change that.

beside that with that modification tehy are only saving the weak point of bulkhead terminals, but STILL the load is being drive for couple of thin wires, so STILL you have a weak system there what is not able to drive extra loads. Then you are getting power on couple of single wires no matter where power is coming from, if alt or batt, so you have the same ammount of wires than the original system.

and honestly, if I'm going to trust on charging status between volt and ammeter, I trust more on an ammeter. Shame that is true that they should be designed to hold better/more load, and Mopart shoudl use better quality alt design to be able to charge at iddle .

The amp gauge will always show a + charge after a start and any time after a period at idle, especially if the headlights are on. Many times in my experience this was around +20 on my gauge. Therefore, the battery is demanding power. If it wasn't it would sit at zero.

when bypassing the amp gauge, and connecting directly from the alternator to the starter relay, the length of wire and voltage drops to be able to charge the battery are drastically reduced. I have it hooked up where both original charging leads (mine have been replaced with 10 gauge all the way though) are hooked to the starter relay as well...therefore DOUBLING the area of the wire to transfer the electricity. From the splice on out, its the same wires, but the length of the circuit is roughly the same.

My headlights are powered off the starter relay through a set of relays that isolate them from the dash harness.

With a volt meter, if you have more than 12V, the alternator is charging...simple as that.

Funny how new cars have roughly the same setup that I do in my car...voltmeter, charging battery first. Even Chrysler went to this in the 80's. Its no secret that the original wiring in these mopars is mediocre at best. It would be even better to feed the ignition from under the hood.

It also begs the question that if you're never relying on the battery for power why you'd need a 100 amp alternator in the first place. The high amp alternator will recharge the battery quickly as well as support a higher current draw. Lets be honest though, the highest current draws in the car are:

Starter (not constant)
Ignition System
Headlights
Running Lights/Brake lights
Wiper Motor
Blower Motor
Then other things such as the radio, etc.

The long length of the dash harness and the bulkhead connectors create a lot of heat if all the current is passed through them.

If you're running a 100 amp alternator with a thinner than 8 gauge wire you are certifiably crazy. Eventually your wires will melt.

'70 Duster 470hp 340/T56 Magnum/8 3/4 3.23 Sure-Grip
Re: High output alternator, What's the hot set up? [Re: goldduster318] #115852
09/08/08 11:01 PM
09/08/08 11:01 PM
Back home in PA
B
BulletBob Offline
master
BulletBob  Offline
master
B

Back home in PA
Goldduster have you figured out how to kick in the ammeter cause I haven't yet. The last I heard an ammeter measures the amperage or load in an electrical system.

Re: High output alternator, What's the hot set up? [Re: VT_Dart] #115853
09/09/08 02:08 AM
09/09/08 02:08 AM
Valencia, España
NachoRT74 Offline
master
NachoRT74  Offline
master

Valencia, España
Quote:

Quote:

That would be true if people had a modified factory system. The way the factory wiring is configured, power is fed AFTER the ammeter, therefore requiring that the entire lead first feeds through the ammeter and then to the starter relay distribution point.

Say you're pulling 100 amps (stereo, fans, headlights, etc, etc) from the alternator. Where do most of these things hook up? Stereo... battery post, fans... battery post or starter relay stud. All of these are fed through the ammeter in a factory system: alternator > ammeter > starter relay > battery. So unless you're trying to feed power directly from the alternator (which, btw isn't a good idea when dealing with components such as stereos due to it not being 100% rectified), you're still pulling it through the ammeter.

yeah ? if feed the car from alt is not a good idea why the COMPLETE CAR is already being feeded from alt side FROM FACTORY ?

if alternator is not feeding correctly rectified, then you'll have a short or a miss on power. That it means a DAMAGED ALTERNATOR

If power is able to come from alternator feeding everywhere you don't have power coming from batt. Is a fact batt is on the system but that doesn't mean power comes from there. Is simply like this: Amm needle doesn't move, no power going THROUGHT the amm so nothing AT LEAST REALLY SIGNIFICANT is coming from batt.

If I am really wrong, then tell to my car what is riding in that way from 3 years ago what is wrong and should it be discharging everytime and burning everything

If you hook stuff from bat, alt will be sending power VIRTUALLY to batt what is not really true, because is really feeding what is hooked to batt, thats the momentr when ammeter reads like is charging, what is not a real reading. Is really feeding stuff hooked there. Then ammeter never rest, and begings the heating process

on a side note, my ammeter is ALLWAYS cold and around 85% of time with needle on center, and I have 6 relays plugged on black side of AMMETER ITSELF because I have all relays inside the cab. Of course not all working at the same time... 3 as much.

when is not on center is because I'm with A/C on low or mid speed, geared but brakes on a trafic light at night, all lights lighted on including brakes, and radio ( multiplex stereo stock one, what does have lot of consumption ) and when get discharge reading on that moment is maybe 10-15 amperes discharge reading as much.

and alt is stock laters 70s Mopar one without mods. I can get the PN from the tag still attached.

of course I'm talking about a small modification stated on link I posted couple of replies above. read it and then think on that

Is not MY idea really, MaMopar already had that option on more than 60 amps alts cars equipped, and then was allmost standarts from mids 70s cars.

just taht we are forgetting that

Re: High output alternator, What's the hot set up? #115854
09/09/08 02:20 AM
09/09/08 02:20 AM
Valencia, España
NachoRT74 Offline
master
NachoRT74  Offline
master

Valencia, España
Quote:

the alt is not really supposed to carry the load. thats the batteries job. The alt is just meant to recharge the battery. The ammeter is just supposed to tell you how much charging the battery is getting (if any)

then you will get allways emptied the batt after some time.

if that will be true, then everything would it be hooked to batt and then the alt directly hooked to batt

Ammeter gauge just reads power coming/going from/to batt. If nothing is coming or going to batt, ammeter doesn't show a reading and that would it mean two things:

-there is enough power on the other side of ammeter to feed everythin or...

-nothing is working, sucking power from batt.

guess what? if nothing is working and batt is still hooked you still have powered the system but nothing flowing throught ammeter

one NOTE more

when you crank the engine the power is TOO HIGH than is enough to move the car. I bet you'll have more than 60 amps there in consumption ( more than ammeter is able to read, in fact maybe 80 100 amperes rate ) however the ammeter doesn't read that... WHY ?, BECAUSE POWER to starter motor IS BEFORE THE AMMETER!!!!... the discharge reading is because relay is working, and relay is feeded by ignition switch AFTER the ammeter

Re: High output alternator, What's the hot set up? [Re: goldduster318] #115855
09/09/08 02:31 AM
09/09/08 02:31 AM
Valencia, España
NachoRT74 Offline
master
NachoRT74  Offline
master

Valencia, España
Quote:

Quote:

The amp gauge will always show a + charge after a start and any time after a period at idle, especially if the headlights are on. Many times in my experience this was around +20 on my gauge. Therefore, the battery is demanding power. If it wasn't it would sit at zero.

when bypassing the amp gauge, and connecting directly from the alternator to the starter relay, the length of wire and voltage drops to be able to charge the battery are drastically reduced. I have it hooked up where both original charging leads (mine have been replaced with 10 gauge all the way though) are hooked to the starter relay as well...therefore DOUBLING the area of the wire to transfer the electricity. From the splice on out, its the same wires, but the length of the circuit is roughly the same.

My headlights are powered off the starter relay through a set of relays that isolate them from the dash harness.

With a volt meter, if you have more than 12V, the alternator is charging...simple as that.

Funny how new cars have roughly the same setup that I do in my car...voltmeter, charging battery first. Even Chrysler went to this in the 80's. Its no secret that the original wiring in these mopars is mediocre at best. It would be even better to feed the ignition from under the hood.

It also begs the question that if you're never relying on the battery for power why you'd need a 100 amp alternator in the first place. The high amp alternator will recharge the battery quickly as well as support a higher current draw. Lets be honest though, the highest current draws in the car are:

Starter (not constant)
Ignition System
Headlights
Running Lights/Brake lights
Wiper Motor
Blower Motor
Then other things such as the radio, etc.

The long length of the dash harness and the bulkhead connectors create a lot of heat if all the current is passed through them.

If you're running a 100 amp alternator with a thinner than 8 gauge wire you are certifiably crazy. Eventually your wires will melt.

Too much to say about what I already replied on earlier quotes.

if an 8 wire will melt down using a 100 amps alternator, then I can't imagine the wire needed to being used on modern cars with at least double of alt power output and double of consumption inside the cab too from 60s cars.

I still haven't see a modern car using a 6 gauge wire to feed the cab... in fact I have seen oposite, using thin wires now... of course we have also more eficient electrical devices too nowdays, but still power from alts now is at least double of 60s alts

on home electricals boards and breakers, you'll see easily 100 amps breakers with 8 or 6 gauge wires and we are talking about 110/120 volts. And everything working perfect!

requoting this you are telling:

Many times in my experience this was around +20 on my gauge. Therefore, the battery is demanding power. If it wasn't it would sit at zero.

if you have relays working between ammeter and batt, of course you'll get charger reading, but that does mean batt is demanding power, that it means power is going on batt direction becasue system is being cheating like batt needs for power to getcharged again! but is not, is because relays are sucking powr LIKE IT WAS the batt demanding power

of course after crank and start thr engien you will get a charge reading for a few minutes ( depending of alt ouput) IS LOGICAL, batt lost power cranking and alt is getting back the charge missed, untill load system is balanced again.

IMHO reason to eliminate the ammeter is not really because ammeter is unneficient by itself, is because modern times demanded more power, so an ammeter did need to be BIGGER, and industry was going on the opposite direction... COMPACTING everything LOL.

Re: High output alternator, What's the hot set up? [Re: NachoRT74] #115856
09/09/08 07:33 AM
09/09/08 07:33 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

Quote:

then you will get allways emptied the batt after some time.

if that will be true, then everything would it be hooked to batt and then the alt directly hooked to batt

Ammeter gauge just reads power coming/going from/to batt. If nothing is coming or going to batt, ammeter doesn't show a reading and that would it mean two things:

-there is enough power on the other side of ammeter to feed everythin or...

-nothing is working, sucking power from batt.

guess what? if nothing is working and batt is still hooked you still have powered the system but nothing flowing throught ammeter

one NOTE more

when you crank the engine the power is TOO HIGH than is enough to move the car. I bet you'll have more than 60 amps there in consumption ( more than ammeter is able to read, in fact maybe 80 100 amperes rate ) however the ammeter doesn't read that... WHY ?, BECAUSE POWER to starter motor IS BEFORE THE AMMETER!!!!... the discharge reading is because relay is working, and relay is feeded by ignition switch AFTER the ammeter

heres the deal. you can argue with me if you want but I know what im talking about.

The battery is a STORAGE CELL. Its a big box of energy that is available to start and run the car. It can take momentary high loads like starting and longs slow drains but it needs to be recharged.

Thats the Alternators job. To CHARGE THE BATTERY. not run the car.
The AMMETER is ONLY there to show you if the battery is being CHARGED or DISCHARGED- it is not meant to (nor does it) show how much power the car is consuming.

Why is the car fed from the alternator side? the only reason is to allow the AMMETER to show a CHARGE OR DISCHARGE on the BATTERY.

If everything was hooked up to the battery side, the cars running load plus the battery charging load would flow through the ammeter so you wouldnt get a good indication of battery charging or discharging (cause the cause running load would be in there too).

The alternator is not supposed to drive large loads for longs periods of time. the battery is the big electrical shock absorber for that. the alternator just replenishes that battery juice when its needed

Re: High output alternator, What's the hot set up? [Re: NachoRT74] #115857
09/09/08 07:44 AM
09/09/08 07:44 AM
Richmond, VA
VT_Dart Offline
master
VT_Dart  Offline
master

Richmond, VA
Quote:

yeah ? if feed the car from alt is not a good idea why the COMPLETE CAR is already being feeded from alt side FROM FACTORY ?

if alternator is not feeding correctly rectified, then you'll have a short or a miss on power. That it means a DAMAGED ALTERNATOR

I'm not sure if you even read my post. Look at a factory wiring schematic. Where is most of the cars power coming from? THE STARTER RELAY STUD. Where does power go to the stud from? Two places: THE BATTERY and the alternator AFTER THE AMMETER. How in the world can you reason that the car is being fed before the ammeter when it's from the STARTER RELAY STUD. Honestly, just look at a wiring schematic, it's not that hard.

I understand your car is being fed from the alternator side of the ammeter. Great, that works for you, but it's not factory. And the alternator not putting out 100% rectified DC power is completely normal, hence the reason in a stereo environment you run power to an amp from the battery. The battery acts to smooth out the ripples. Read an MECP Master, or any other certification manual for that matter, because I know for a fact it agrees.

Darrah Heath
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3