F
Flite_727 Offline
pro stock
Flite_727  Offline
pro stock
F

right between milan dragway & ...
Quote:

Anyone put a steering rack on these trucks? Im to the point where the steering box is limiting the potential on this thing, and want to get more serious with it. Links or pics are appreciated. Thanks

here's a manual dakota rack in a '77 ramcharger drag project. I made the rack mounts slotted vertically, so i could adjust out any bump steer.
one idea i've had in the back of my head for a future cornering/handling truck is to either adapt a longer pittman arm or lengthen the stock one similar to the t/a fast ratio arm.

'06 Magnum R/T Daily driver, 5.7 N.A.- [email]12.63@109[/email]
Re: Handling tips for trucks [Re: Flite_727] #1157463
12/31/12 08:40 PM
12/31/12 08:40 PM
Indiana, PA
M
moparjim87 Offline OP
moparjim87  Offline OP
M

Indiana, PA
Thank you, its nice to get some pics of something to get an idea of where to start. Plus, didnt know a dakota rack was wide enough. Now I do, lol.

Re: Handling tips for trucks [Re: 70Cuda383] #1157464
01/05/13 12:59 PM
01/05/13 12:59 PM
Marlboro, NY, USA
R
Rick_Ehrenberg Offline
top fuel
Rick_Ehrenberg  Offline
top fuel
R

Marlboro, NY, USA
Quote:

How does stiffening the cab to frame mount points help the suspension work better? By reducing the tendency for the weight of the cab to shift in a hard turn?

I don't think any of the Dakota guys have done that, and yet lots of us are super happy with the hotchkis stuff and how it improves handling. I don't know if boxing the frame will gain anything, sure it'll be stiffer, but it'll be a lot heavier too.

There's a guy making some cross bracing for the Dakota frames which help to stiffen everything while only adding 30-ish lbs. Frame twist is greatly reduced!! Stock frames you can see the frame twisting when you hit bumps, as the bed looks like it "rattles" when you see it in the side mirror. Add the cross brace and that goes away. Then again Dakota frames are fully boxed from the front to just behind the cab anyway, and only the rear half under the bed is a "C" channel

Got a link or contact info for the Dak guy?

Rick

Re: Handling tips for trucks [Re: Rick_Ehrenberg] #1157465
01/06/13 02:55 PM
01/06/13 02:55 PM
Marysville, O-H-I-O
70Cuda383 Offline
Too Many Posts
70Cuda383  Offline
Too Many Posts

Marysville, O-H-I-O
Quote:

Quote:

How does stiffening the cab to frame mount points help the suspension work better? By reducing the tendency for the weight of the cab to shift in a hard turn?

I don't think any of the Dakota guys have done that, and yet lots of us are super happy with the hotchkis stuff and how it improves handling. I don't know if boxing the frame will gain anything, sure it'll be stiffer, but it'll be a lot heavier too.

There's a guy making some cross bracing for the Dakota frames which help to stiffen everything while only adding 30-ish lbs. Frame twist is greatly reduced!! Stock frames you can see the frame twisting when you hit bumps, as the bed looks like it "rattles" when you see it in the side mirror. Add the cross brace and that goes away. Then again Dakota frames are fully boxed from the front to just behind the cab anyway, and only the rear half under the bed is a "C" channel

Got a link or contact info for the Dak guy?

Rick

I'd PM it to you, but you don't accept PMs

here's a link to his cross members

http://stores.hi-potek.com/-strse-DAKOTA-X-dsh-BRACES/Categories.bok

His name is Richard, lives in Michigan, and makes all kinds of cool stuff for the Dakota crowd. driveshaft loops, transmission mount cross members, solid engine mounts for magnum engines, plus he has a wide selection of motor parts, suspension parts, etc.

If guys show enough interest, I'm sure he could start making parts for other trucks.

**Photobucket sucks**
Re: Handling tips for trucks [Re: 70Cuda383] #1157466
01/07/13 07:41 PM
01/07/13 07:41 PM
Cookeville
Chilort Offline
Will Work For Mopars
Chilort  Offline
Will Work For Mopars

Cookeville
Probably too simple of a question but I've got a '68 D100 with a 440. I am keeping it stock height and have had the springs rebuilt to some of the biggest springs Dodge offered on the two-wheel-drive Swetplines (depends on who you ask whether they are the biggest).

I changed out the front end from a '69 D100 to get the 13/16 front sway bar (no sway bar was offered previous to '69). I am thinking of adding a rear sway bar. The only thing I can find that is bolt in is a 1" from Addco. It seems like adding a rear bar will be likely to make the truck want to over steer. I know that people who drive with loads (in bed camper) like a rear bar. If I add a 1" bar and don't have a load am I going to make the handling terrible?

I don't push into corners hard because the front doesn't want to seem to want to come around but I am generally nowhere near the limits of traction. Of course, the last time I drove the truck it didn't have the bar or new springs.

I've already ordered the bar but it hasn't shipped and I can cancel the order.

1) General thoughts?
2) Is this something I'm just going to have to try out?
3) Would a rear sway bar help with wheel hop?

Re: Handling tips for trucks [Re: Chilort] #1157467
01/13/13 03:42 PM
01/13/13 03:42 PM
Marion Illinois
72d100 Offline
master
72d100  Offline
master

Marion Illinois
I really don't have much to add to this thread but ideas but has anybody ever considered putting a 02 and up crown vic front suspension under these trucks? Not sure the measurements but it seems to be popular in the ford camp so it might be worth a look. I was also looking on roadster shops website and found this and it kinda inspired me roadter shop

Page 2 of 2 1 2