J
jcc Offline
If you can't dazzle em with diamonds..
jcc  Offline
J

Bitopia
Quote:

stiffer? a quick google search shows fiberglass' elastic modulus is 17.2 GPA, steel is 200GPA, so steel is 11.6x stiffer. to get the same effective stiffness, for a same length & width beam segment, the fiberglass spring will need to be approx 2.25x thicker (taller) to have the same spring rate as a comparable steel spring the way the equations work out.

I can't dispute your numbers, they sound correct, but two points, he might have meant comparable weights regrading stiffness, and a "leaf" is not a solid member, but sliding members, where a composite spring is obviously solid.

Reality check, that half the population is smarter then 50% of the people and it's a constantly contested fact.
Re: Fiberglass Springs any good? [Re: jcc] #1157247
02/15/12 08:52 AM
02/15/12 08:52 AM
the frozen wastes...
Pale_Roader Offline
Swears too much
Pale_Roader  Offline
Swears too much

the frozen wastes...

Okay, i gotta ask...

I've always seen the tremendous weight-reduction factor for FG leafs, that one is obvious, but FG just seems like an unlikely material for a spring. Do these things not break? Thats a LOT ov stress, and even more on a race car in corners. Are these safe? Sure, some here have track cars that never see real streets, but how about for a street car? or do you people drive these things (and abuse these things) on the street as well...???

I would love to save a massive chunk o' weight, but i'm leery. I'd also be leery about ordering them, as if they're not quite the rate, or height, load, whatever you wanted, there is no adjustment. How do you make SURE you order the right one...???

Re: Fiberglass Springs any good? [Re: jcc] #1157248
02/15/12 09:24 AM
02/15/12 09:24 AM
Grand Haven, MI
patrick Offline
I Live Here
patrick  Offline
I Live Here

Grand Haven, MI
Quote:

Quote:

stiffer? a quick google search shows fiberglass' elastic modulus is 17.2 GPA, steel is 200GPA, so steel is 11.6x stiffer. to get the same effective stiffness, for a same length & width beam segment, the fiberglass spring will need to be approx 2.25x thicker (taller) to have the same spring rate as a comparable steel spring the way the equations work out.

I can't dispute your numbers, they sound correct, but two points, he might have meant comparable weights regrading stiffness, and a "leaf" is not a solid member, but sliding members, where a composite spring is obviously solid.

true, guess I'm a stickler for details I guess....there are 2 components to a part's "stiffness"--material properties and geometry. fact is, from a material property stand point, steel is MUCH stiffer. but a part can be stiffer with changes to the geometry to give more cross section.

but even looking at just a steel main leaf, which is what, 5/16" thick? the thinnest part of a fiberglass leaf would need to be approx 11/16" thick to get a comparable stiffness....

didn't bother looking at densities, steel is 7.85g/cm^3...a quick google search shows fiberglass as 2.5g/cm^3 or less (depending on glass to resin ratios), so you could have 3-4 times the volume of fiberglass in your part before it weighed more than the steel part.

so yes, stiffness per weight can be much better for fiberglass, if the space allows for the geometry differences.

Last edited by patrick; 02/15/12 09:31 AM.

1976 Spinnaker White Plymouth Duster, /6 A833OD
1986 Silver/Twilight Blue Chrysler 5th Ave HotRod **SOLD!***
2011 Toxic Orange Dodge Charger R/T
2017 Grand Cherokee Overland
2014 Jeep Cherokee Latitude (holy crap, my daughter is driving)
Re: Fiberglass Springs any good? [Re: Pale_Roader] #1157249
02/15/12 09:25 AM
02/15/12 09:25 AM
Grand Haven, MI
patrick Offline
I Live Here
patrick  Offline
I Live Here

Grand Haven, MI
Quote:

Okay, i gotta ask...

I've always seen the tremendous weight-reduction factor for FG leafs, that one is obvious, but FG just seems like an unlikely material for a spring. Do these things not break? Thats a LOT ov stress, and even more on a race car in corners. Are these safe? Sure, some here have track cars that never see real streets, but how about for a street car? or do you people drive these things (and abuse these things) on the street as well...???

I would love to save a massive chunk o' weight, but i'm leery. I'd also be leery about ordering them, as if they're not quite the rate, or height, load, whatever you wanted, there is no adjustment. How do you make SURE you order the right one...???

then don't buy any corvettes made in the last, oh 30 years or so, as IIRC they all used transverse fiberglass leaf springs in their IRS

1976 Spinnaker White Plymouth Duster, /6 A833OD
1986 Silver/Twilight Blue Chrysler 5th Ave HotRod **SOLD!***
2011 Toxic Orange Dodge Charger R/T
2017 Grand Cherokee Overland
2014 Jeep Cherokee Latitude (holy crap, my daughter is driving)
Re: Fiberglass Springs any good? [Re: patrick] #1157250
02/15/12 09:27 AM
02/15/12 09:27 AM
Tulsa OK
Bad340fish Offline
master
Bad340fish  Offline
master

Tulsa OK
Quote:

Quote:

Okay, i gotta ask...

then don't buy any corvettes made in the last, oh 30 years or so, as IIRC they all used transverse fiberglass leaf springs in their IRS

I believe the Chevy astro vans used a composite leaf as well.

68 Barracuda Formula S 340
Re: Fiberglass Springs any good? [Re: patrick] #1157251
02/15/12 11:43 AM
02/15/12 11:43 AM
Pikes Peak Country
T
TC@HP2 Offline
master
TC@HP2  Offline
master
T

Pikes Peak Country
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

true, guess I'm a stickler for details I guess....there are 2 components to a part's "stiffness"--material properties and geometry. fact is, from a material property stand point, steel is MUCH stiffer. but a part can be stiffer with changes to the geometry to give more cross section.

but even looking at just a steel main leaf, which is what, 5/16" thick? the thinnest part of a fiberglass leaf would need to be approx 11/16" thick to get a comparable stiffness....

didn't bother looking at densities, steel is 7.85g/cm^3...a quick google search shows fiberglass as 2.5g/cm^3 or less (depending on glass to resin ratios), so you could have 3-4 times the volume of fiberglass in your part before it weighed more than the steel part.

so yes, stiffness per weight can be much better for fiberglass, if the space allows for the geometry differences.

This all kind of goes where I was intending. If you have looked at these aftermarket fiberglass springs, you'll notice that are easily 2.5x as thick as a single steel spring. So by comparison, they are a mono leaf that is provided the additional stiffness and rate that a single steel mono leaf could not provide without a huge weight penalty. Additionally, the added arch of the fiberglass springs allow it to be in a geometric position when loaded that provides the additional short segment stiffness the mopar design is know for. Now, how well would that stand up to the high shock loads of a drag race launch with slicks on a prepared surface, I don't know. In that case I might opt for a Cal-trac or Slide-link traction device. From handling perspective, there are few disadvantages to using a fiberglass leaf.

Yes, Corvettes have been using them for decades. So there are plenty of on road miles that can be attributed to the material.

The best way to chose them would be to speak with the manufacturer or a knowledgeable retailer. They will ask you the specifics of weight, usage, etc. to help dial you in with what you want.

Re: Fiberglass Springs any good? [Re: Pale_Roader] #1157252
02/15/12 12:35 PM
02/15/12 12:35 PM
Bitopia
J
jcc Offline
jcc  Offline
J

Bitopia
Quote:

Okay, i gotta ask...

FWIW, somewhere I have a flyer around promotingFG springs for class 8 semi's (80K stuff), and that would be huge weight savings, but I don't know if they are still marketed for that application. I have high confidence, except for situations that have extreme spring wrap up, and that means 1/4 mile, heavy car , slicks, 4 speed, etc, and that opinion is only based on gut feeling, not real world experience.

Reality check, that half the population is smarter then 50% of the people and it's a constantly contested fact.
Re: Fiberglass Springs any good? [Re: Pale_Roader] #1157253
02/15/12 08:35 PM
02/15/12 08:35 PM
Lethbridge, AB, Canada
dangina Offline
pro stock
dangina  Offline
pro stock

Lethbridge, AB, Canada
Quote:

Okay, i gotta ask...

i bought the hypercoils leafs but not until i did some research on them and asked around on forums before buying them - their are guys using these springs on street. dirt. roadcoarse. and scca racing with great success - punishing them in the corners and never having one crack or break. They are pricey but i do like the fact i can pick my own spring rates...

Re: Fiberglass Springs any good? [Re: dangina] #1157254
02/16/12 09:00 AM
02/16/12 09:00 AM
the frozen wastes...
Pale_Roader Offline
Swears too much
Pale_Roader  Offline
Swears too much

the frozen wastes...

Hmmm... more good answers. I'm sold.

Now, if i go better than give the manufacturer the rates/specs i want, and just give them a steel spring i would like duplicated in FG, that would be easier for them, yes?

And the last question... how much (ballpark) do a set o' Mopar style FG leafs run?

Re: Fiberglass Springs any good? [Re: Pale_Roader] #1157255
02/16/12 11:45 AM
02/16/12 11:45 AM
Pikes Peak Country
T
TC@HP2 Offline
master
TC@HP2  Offline
master
T

Pikes Peak Country
Quote:

Unless you're real sure of what you want, I'd avoid swap meets and online auction buying of the springs. Talk to a reputable supplier to verify what you want is what you get. They have been doing this a long time and can probably get you what you want. Sure you can't change the rate of a fiberglass leaf, but changes in mounting position are the same as a steel leaf.

Quote:

Now, if i go better than give the manufacturer the rates/specs i want, and just give them a steel spring i would like duplicated in FG, that would be easier for them, yes?

And the last question... how much (ballpark) do a set o' Mopar style FG leafs run?

Depends on the manufacturer. Most can get you within the ballpark of what you want with their off the shelf product of few different rates and a few different arches. Creating an exact duplicate of a steel spring isn't necesssarily the best way to go because of the different properties of the materials, but they can give you better info than I could on the details.

Ball park price for fiberglass springs is around $300-400 each. If you want to get into any custom work the price would go up from there. FWIW, a truly custom spec, steel race leaf spring would be comparable in price. I'm not talking about the Espo style, bend em up +1 over stock leafs, but true custom built racing springs with teflon interliners, diamond point tips, hardened, and with consistent taper through each leaf.

Re: Fiberglass Springs any good? [Re: TC@HP2] #1157256
02/16/12 06:48 PM
02/16/12 06:48 PM
Brandenburg, KY
R
robsimmons Offline
robsimmons  Offline
R

Brandenburg, KY
Great discussion here. I see some "Mopaxers" as well. I didn't even realize there was a "handling" section added to Moparts. I need to surf here more often!

Rob
Mopar fanatic since 1980
Slant 6 Drag Racer
Autocrosser
Re: Fiberglass Springs any good? [Re: robsimmons] #1157257
02/16/12 09:18 PM
02/16/12 09:18 PM
Lethbridge, AB, Canada
dangina Offline
pro stock
dangina  Offline
pro stock

Lethbridge, AB, Canada

i bought my hypercoils a couple months back - they were 618 shipped. ; bought them through amazon s they have a bit of a discount:

http://www.amazon.com/HYP10231-Hyperco-Hypercoils-COMPOSITE-LEAF/dp/B003PNW8CW

refer to their website for the part numbers with the spring rates you want on page17-18 in the catalog:

http://www.hypercoils.com/leaf-springs.html

they offer spring rates up to 225 lbs

I'll post some pics of them if I get a chance tonight...

Last edited by dangina; 02/16/12 09:21 PM.
Re: Fiberglass Springs any good? [Re: TC@HP2] #1157258
02/16/12 09:52 PM
02/16/12 09:52 PM
the frozen wastes...
Pale_Roader Offline
Swears too much
Pale_Roader  Offline
Swears too much

the frozen wastes...
Quote:

Quote:

Unless you're real sure of what you want, I'd avoid swap meets and online auction buying of the springs. Talk to a reputable supplier to verify what you want is what you get. They have been doing this a long time and can probably get you what you want. Sure you can't change the rate of a fiberglass leaf, but changes in mounting position are the same as a steel leaf.

Quote:

Depends on the manufacturer. Most can get you within the ballpark of what you want with their off the shelf product of few different rates and a few different arches. Creating an exact duplicate of a steel spring isn't necesssarily the best way to go because of the different properties of the materials, but they can give you better info than I could on the details.

Ball park price for fiberglass springs is around $300-400 each. If you want to get into any custom work the price would go up from there. FWIW, a truly custom spec, steel race leaf spring would be comparable in price. I'm not talking about the Espo style, bend em up +1 over stock leafs, but true custom built racing springs with teflon interliners, diamond point tips, hardened, and with consistent taper through each leaf.

Basically i was thinking about getting a FG version ov the leafs in the Hotchkis kit. There you have a spring made for a fully dialed in kit, so the specs would be there to try and emulate it (or at least emulate the end-result).

Leafs are bloody heavy... so this is exciting for a weight-loss fanatic...

Re: Fiberglass Springs any good? [Re: Pale_Roader] #1157259
02/20/12 04:17 AM
02/20/12 04:17 AM
Lethbridge, AB, Canada
dangina Offline
pro stock
dangina  Offline
pro stock

Lethbridge, AB, Canada
sorry it took so long:

Re: Fiberglass Springs any good? [Re: dangina] #1157260
02/20/12 12:49 PM
02/20/12 12:49 PM
Ontario,Canada
brads70 Offline
super stock
brads70  Offline
super stock

Ontario,Canada
Quote:

i bought my hypercoils a couple months back - they were 618 shipped. ; bought them through amazon s they have a bit of a discount:

http://www.amazon.com/HYP10231-Hyperco-Hypercoils-COMPOSITE-LEAF/dp/B003PNW8CW

refer to their website for the part numbers with the spring rates you want on page17-18 in the catalog:

http://www.hypercoils.com/leaf-springs.html

they offer spring rates up to 225 lbs

I'll post some pics of them if I get a chance tonight...

Nice! curoius to hear how they work for you!

Re: Fiberglass Springs any good? [Re: dangina] #1157261
02/20/12 12:57 PM
02/20/12 12:57 PM
Ontario,Canada
brads70 Offline
super stock
brads70  Offline
super stock

Ontario,Canada
Quote:

sorry it took so long:

Could you weight one before you put them on the car?
How did you decide what rate to choose?
When mounting them do they just slip in place of the steel springs or do they have to be mounted in rubber or something? Is there a maximum tourque spec when tightening up the u-bolts or anything like that?

Last edited by brads70; 02/20/12 01:16 PM.
Re: Fiberglass Springs any good? [Re: brads70] #1157262
02/20/12 03:42 PM
02/20/12 03:42 PM
Ontario,Canada
brads70 Offline
super stock
brads70  Offline
super stock

Ontario,Canada
Found these instalation instructions on hypercoils website.... answering my own question! LOL

Here is the list of the most common tips we have given our customers concerning the use of Composite Leaf Springs:
U-bolts should never come in contact with the composite portion of the leaf spring. Hyperco recommends a heavy gauge rubber or plastic hose be fitted over the U-bolts to ensure that there is no metal to composite contact.
U-bolts should be tightened evenly to a torque value of 80 to 100 ft. lbs., or until the center mounting plate yields / deflects. The torque value should be checked on a regular basis to ensure adequate and consistent clamping force.
The mounting pad must extend a minimum of ¼" past the steel mounting plate.
Additional protection for the composite leaf can be obtained by wrapping all exposed surfaces with high quality duct tape.
When installing springs it is important to check the alignment. The inner sleeves must not bind inside the spring bushings on both the front and rear mounting brackets.

Re: Fiberglass Springs any good? [Re: brads70] #1157263
02/21/12 03:00 AM
02/21/12 03:00 AM
Lethbridge, AB, Canada
dangina Offline
pro stock
dangina  Offline
pro stock

Lethbridge, AB, Canada
Quote:

I weighed one on a car scale - 10 lbs! I'm gonna weigh them on a more accurate scale soon to see if thats correct

I choose the rate based on my previous experience with spring rates:

8kg (448lbs)on the front and 6kg(338lbs) on the rear - Max I'll ever go on the street again - not so great on the lower spine but awesome on the track - little to no body roll

6kg(338lbs) front and 4kg(224lbs) on the rear - tolerable on the street (barely bearable for the wife) - still great on the track - little body roll

now these were on a car 800-900 lbs less than my big old bbody

so I figure that with a 5kg (270lbs) front I figure a good match would be a 3.5kg (200lbs) rear in a heavier car should still have the firm feeling and roll I want but not so harsh of a ride that the wife would want to stay in the passenger seat!

This is all speculative right now - I'll see how well its put into action this summer - I also based this on the hotchkis setup for the ebodies which are running a 4kg(225lbs) front and a 3kg(160lbs) rear
and they are anywhere from 600-800lbs lighter than the bbodies...

Last edited by dangina; 02/21/12 03:02 AM.
Re: Fiberglass Springs any good? [Re: dangina] #1157264
02/21/12 10:46 AM
02/21/12 10:46 AM
Ontario,Canada
brads70 Offline
super stock
brads70  Offline
super stock

Ontario,Canada
Quote:

Quote:

I weighed one on a car scale - 10 lbs! I'm gonna weigh them on a more accurate scale soon to see if thats correct

I choose the rate based on my previous experience with spring rates:

8kg (448lbs)on the front and 6kg(338lbs) on the rear - Max I'll ever go on the street again - not so great on the lower spine but awesome on the track - little to no body roll

6kg(338lbs) front and 4kg(224lbs) on the rear - tolerable on the street (barely bearable for the wife) - still great on the track - little body roll

now these were on a car 800-900 lbs less than my big old bbody

so I figure that with a 5kg (270lbs) front I figure a good match would be a 3.5kg (200lbs) rear in a heavier car should still have the firm feeling and roll I want but not so harsh of a ride that the wife would want to stay in the passenger seat!

This is all speculative right now - I'll see how well its put into action this summer - I also based this on the hotchkis setup for the ebodies which are running a 4kg(225lbs) front and a 3kg(160lbs) rear
and they are anywhere from 600-800lbs lighter than the bbodies...

Thanks for the reply! Wow 10 LBS!!!! that IS light! When you ordered from Hypercoil did you or were you able to specify the lenght and segments. Like for my e-body I'd need 22 in the front and 35 in the rear to be able to bolt in?

Re: Fiberglass Springs any good? [Re: brads70] #1157265
02/21/12 04:50 PM
02/21/12 04:50 PM
Lethbridge, AB, Canada
dangina Offline
pro stock
dangina  Offline
pro stock

Lethbridge, AB, Canada
Quote:

Thanks for the reply! Wow 10 LBS!!!! that IS light! When you ordered from Hypercoil did you or were you able to specify the lenght and segments. Like for my e-body I'd need 22 in the front and 35 in the rear to be able to bolt in?

unfortunatly they one make the most common spring which is a 20" front segment - that fits most mopars - you need the 2" front hanger from firm feel to run these springs, just as you would use the same hanger to run the SS springs....I'll post a pic of the firm feel hanger tonight - they're pretty beefy - the beefiest ones i could find,,,

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5