Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: How beneficial has wide-band O2 been to your tuning? [Re: sixpackgut] #1126085
12/03/11 01:53 PM
12/03/11 01:53 PM
Oologah, Oklahoma
Big Squeeze Offline
pro stock
Big Squeeze  Offline
pro stock

Oologah, Oklahoma
Quote:

it reads the same thing now as it did when i first tried it. 14 at cruise. 12.5-13 at WOT. thats my whole point. what it says on the street and chassis dyno doesnt reflect what will happen at the track.

my good friend buider and tuner of some really fast cars, leaning on my fender, pointed at the numbers on the top of my carbs and said, not many guys would do that.

i would like to know, if guys ever looked at the old jetting tips from the old engine manual. popsicle sticks and jetting all over

I'm sorry if some dont believe me. i'm just trying to be helpful. i'll crawl back in my hole now

I believe you.... just trying to get the whole story...Like I said......it's just a number......but it sure makes tuning driveability NICE and WAY easier than tuning by the seat of the pants, which is what most guys want one for......

If you can't handle the truth, you're living a lie.......
Re: How beneficial has wide-band O2 been to your tuning? [Re: 451Mopar] #1126086
12/03/11 02:09 PM
12/03/11 02:09 PM
Q
Quicktree Offline
I Win
Quicktree  Offline
I Win
Q

this is the reason I posted the plug reading. if you don't have the proper tools and time pulling one out and eyeballing it does very little.

Reading For Air Fuel Mixture
The porcelain around the plugs center electrode can be divided into three areas for reading. The area that is closest to the tip is affected by the idle and transition circuits carburetor circuits and is of no real concern to a racer. If this area is gray then you drove the car back to the pits and you cannot correctly read the plugs. The middle area is only colored when you drive down the road at around a steady 30-40 mph and is normally affected by the primary circuit jetting with the power valve closed and this is really of no concern to the racer. The area you are interested in is that third that is all the way up inside the plug where the sun don't shine. This area is colored when all is wide open under full power because the combustion chamber heat totally cleans off the other two areas. It will take a special plug reading flashlight with the magnifying glass to view it correctly. Plugs cannot be correctly read by just quickly looking at them with the naked eye. You see people doing it all the time because they do not know how to read plugs.
Normally aspirated cars should have a light gray or tan hydrocarbon ring or as some call it a "fuel ring" all the way up inside around the third area closest to the point where the porcelain is attached to the metal jacket of the plug. The actual color may depend on type of fuel you use. This fuel ring should appear like a light shadow. Most VP C-15, C-16 or C23+ fuels will show as a light gray when correct. This fuel ring starts to color on the porcelain side that is below the ground strap and works its way around either side of the center electrode until it completely joins. Sometimes it may take two or three runs to see a good coloring. Note: New engines or engines that pump a little oil may show a thin oily line way down inside on the porcelain where the porcelain meets the metal wall of the plug. This oil line has nothing to do with the air/fuel mixture but may be confused with the fuel ring you are looking for.If you are having a hard time figuring out if what you are reading is correct or because you are not sure if the plug heat range is correct then tow the car back to the pits and drop the headers and look inside the pipes. If they are black then you are too rich, if they are light gray or white then you are too lean. The pipes should be a medium to dark gray or tan color. Normally the white area of the porcelain has a chalky appearance. If you see the porcelain take on a shine then it is time to change the plugs because the glass that is in the porcelain has been melted and has glazed the surface. If the car has been running rich (due to lots of idling or incorrect fuel mixture) then it is possible to glaze the plugs and short them out during a run because of the sudden heating of the plug with the soot on the porcelain. This glazing appears to be a glossy coating on the porcelain with a splotches of color of greenish yellow or brown. THESE TWO DIFFERENT GLAZING'S WILL CAUSE the plug to short out and MISFIRE and raise ring lands or make a popping through the exhaust when going down the track.

Re: How beneficial has wide-band O2 been to your tuning? [Re: Quicktree] #1126087
12/03/11 02:12 PM
12/03/11 02:12 PM
Q
Quicktree Offline
I Win
Quicktree  Offline
I Win
Q

READ CAREFULLY ABOUT USING THE PORCELAIN TO READ JETTING AND READ THE LAST SENTENCE ABOUT POPPING THROUGH THE EXHAUST !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Re: How beneficial has wide-band O2 been to your tuning? [Re: Quicktree] #1126088
12/03/11 03:13 PM
12/03/11 03:13 PM
Q
Quicktree Offline
I Win
Quicktree  Offline
I Win
Q

and the moral to this story is that you don't use the color of the porcelain to determine jetting....

Re: How beneficial has wide-band O2 been to your tuning? [Re: Quicktree] #1126089
12/03/11 04:21 PM
12/03/11 04:21 PM
Oologah, Oklahoma
Big Squeeze Offline
pro stock
Big Squeeze  Offline
pro stock

Oologah, Oklahoma
Quote:

READ CAREFULLY ABOUT USING THE PORCELAIN TO READ JETTING AND READ THE LAST SENTENCE ABOUT POPPING THROUGH THE EXHAUST !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I actually experienced that back when I was 17.....Put a fresh motor in the car and it ran great (at least I thought it was great) on the street and at the track.....I then uncapped the exhuast and the car picked up from 13.20's @ 100 to 12.70@ 105..........after racing I capped it back up and drove home......I get almost home and decided to hammer on it and it had a slip pop out of the exhuast......it never crossed my mind that it was the plugs, so after changing valve springs and doing ALL kinds of other stuff, a friend suggested putting a fresh set of plugs in it...I told him they were new and had less than 30 miles on them.......I went ahead and did it and it fixed it!!! Freaked me out and learned a good lesson......Thing was, I knew it was rich because it'd picked up so much by uncapping the exhaust.....

Re: How beneficial has wide-band O2 been to your tuning? [Re: Big Squeeze] #1126090
12/03/11 05:24 PM
12/03/11 05:24 PM
West Coast, USA
jbc426 Offline
master
jbc426  Offline
master

West Coast, USA
I found this article helpul while learning how to use my Wideband.

http://www.enginebuildermag.com/Article/15762/carburetor_tuning_the_airfuel_equation.aspx

1970 Plymouth 'Cuda #'s 440-6(block in storage)currently 493" 6 pack, Shaker, 5 speed Passon, 4.10's
1968 Plymouth Barracuda Convertible 408 Magnum EFI with 4 speed automatic overdrive, 3800 stall lock-up converter and 4.30's (closest thing to an automatic 5 speed going)
Re: How beneficial has wide-band O2 been to your tuning? [Re: Big Squeeze] #1126091
12/03/11 05:47 PM
12/03/11 05:47 PM
Q
Quicktree Offline
I Win
Quicktree  Offline
I Win
Q

Quote:

Quote:

I actually experienced that back when I was 17.....Put a fresh motor in the car and it ran great (at least I thought it was great) on the street and at the track.....I then uncapped the exhuast and the car picked up from 13.20's @ 100 to 12.70@ 105..........after racing I capped it back up and drove home......I get almost home and decided to hammer on it and it had a slip pop out of the exhuast......it never crossed my mind that it was the plugs, so after changing valve springs and doing ALL kinds of other stuff, a friend suggested putting a fresh set of plugs in it...I told him they were new and had less than 30 miles on them.......I went ahead and did it and it fixed it!!! Freaked me out and learned a good lesson......Thing was, I knew it was rich because it'd picked up so much by uncapping the exhaust.....

yep and how many people do you see that say they keep adding jet until the porcelain has tanned? little do they know they have probably fouled out the plug. it may still run but it wont be right. I think there are few that really know how to read a plug or have the tools. really I don't pay much attention to the fuel ring on a N/A motor you can see what you need on the base ring in most cases.I know the boosted cars pay a lot more attention to that. and also I have found the fastest way down the track is not good for a bracket racer. rich is not good for being consistent.I was just offered to use a LM2 from a friend on here. I'll get it when I get chance and see where mine is and if it compares to where I think it's at.I know mine is over rich on the idle and transition and should be mildly lean up top.don't care about cruise at all.

Re: How beneficial has wide-band O2 been to your tuning? [Re: Quicktree] #1126092
12/03/11 05:59 PM
12/03/11 05:59 PM
Q
Quicktree Offline
I Win
Quicktree  Offline
I Win
Q

looking for my fire suit now

Re: How beneficial has wide-band O2 been to your tuning? [Re: Quicktree] #1126093
12/03/11 06:15 PM
12/03/11 06:15 PM
Pa
Hot 340 Offline
master
Hot 340  Offline
master

Pa
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

yep and how many people do you see that say they keep adding jet until the porcelain has tanned? little do they know they have probably fouled out the plug. it may still run but it wont be right. I think there are few that really know how to read a plug or have the tools. really I don't pay much attention to the fuel ring on a N/A motor you can see what you need on the base ring in most cases.I know the boosted cars pay a lot more attention to that. and also I have found the fastest way down the track is not good for a bracket racer. rich is not good for being consistent.I was just offered to use a LM2 from a friend on here. I'll get it when I get chance and see where mine is and if it compares to where I think it's at.I know mine is over rich on the idle and transition and should be mildly lean up top.don't care about cruise at all.

I totally agree with your method of plug reading. But without a clean neutral to check it out on top end your wasting your time for WOT readings. IMO

Re: How beneficial has wide-band O2 been to your tuning? [Re: Hot 340] #1126094
12/03/11 06:20 PM
12/03/11 06:20 PM
Q
Quicktree Offline
I Win
Quicktree  Offline
I Win
Q

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I totally agree with your method of plug reading. But without a clean neutral to check it out on top end your wasting your time for WOT readings. IMO

exactly take a look at the video I posted and see what the first thing they say and it's not MY method just the way I was taught and what I believe.

Re: How beneficial has wide-band O2 been to your tuning? [Re: Quicktree] #1126095
12/03/11 06:31 PM
12/03/11 06:31 PM
Pa
Hot 340 Offline
master
Hot 340  Offline
master

Pa
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

exactly take a look at the video I posted and see what the first thing they say and it's not MY method just the way I was taught and what I believe.

OK, didnt see the vid..duh.

Re: How beneficial has wide-band O2 been to your tuning? [Re: sixpackgut] #1126096
12/09/11 03:11 PM
12/09/11 03:11 PM
Oologah, Oklahoma
Big Squeeze Offline
pro stock
Big Squeeze  Offline
pro stock

Oologah, Oklahoma
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

its amazing your car can even run without one let alone drive a couple hours to the track, run a 10.50 @3700lbs and drive home

How is that so amazing?

just making a point that you obviously pay attention to how your car is running to run as well as it does. IMO experience with the wideband, it will not show lean cylinder to rich cylinders. my six pack has jetting all over the place. i do what i have to do to make all cylinders look equal. a wideband just wont tell you that unless you have bungs in all cylinders.

as for guys washing down cylinder walls, sure, i know many bracket racers that slap something together and as long as they can run consistantly thats all they care about. that makes me crazy. puffing black smoke driving around the pits and they dont care. then i see other guys times pickup as the weather gets hotter because there car is so lean.

i'm not saying not to have one, i have one in my car and its ON every time i go for a drive. but can it fine tune a crossram or tunnel ram? it may help a little but you wont get your tune right unless you look at plugs. if you only use an wideband to tune, you could have lean cyl and rich cyl and not know what is going on at all

Hey Ray.....On your Six Pack, is that a factory intake? 7MPH is like 100HP from just changing the front jets!!!..... I'm trying to figure this out in my head.....

Re: How beneficial has wide-band O2 been to your tuning? [Re: Big Squeeze] #1126097
12/09/11 03:51 PM
12/09/11 03:51 PM
Charleston
S
sixpackgut Offline
Drag Week Mod Champion
sixpackgut  Offline
Drag Week Mod Champion
S

Charleston
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

its amazing your car can even run without one let alone drive a couple hours to the track, run a 10.50 @3700lbs and drive home

How is that so amazing?

just making a point that you obviously pay attention to how your car is running to run as well as it does. IMO experience with the wideband, it will not show lean cylinder to rich cylinders. my six pack has jetting all over the place. i do what i have to do to make all cylinders look equal. a wideband just wont tell you that unless you have bungs in all cylinders.

as for guys washing down cylinder walls, sure, i know many bracket racers that slap something together and as long as they can run consistantly thats all they care about. that makes me crazy. puffing black smoke driving around the pits and they dont care. then i see other guys times pickup as the weather gets hotter because there car is so lean.

i'm not saying not to have one, i have one in my car and its ON every time i go for a drive. but can it fine tune a crossram or tunnel ram? it may help a little but you wont get your tune right unless you look at plugs. if you only use an wideband to tune, you could have lean cyl and rich cyl and not know what is going on at all

Hey Ray.....On your Six Pack, is that a factory intake? 7MPH is like 100HP from just changing the front jets!!!..... I'm trying to figure this out in my head.....

no that was on the sheetmetal ram i had at the time. the stock intake was jetted all over the place in line with the DC manual jetting tips. the weiand xram was also jetted all over the place with dams glued to the floor.

my point was just dont hold that AF meter as gospel to what is actually going on. a Six pack is the worst but we also have heard stories about indy single planes with number 1 wet plugs

Gen 3 power 6.22@110, 9.85@135
Follow @g3hemiswap on instagram

performance only racing, CRT, ultimate converter, superior design concepts, ThumperCarbs
Re: How beneficial has wide-band O2 been to your tuning? [Re: sixpackgut] #1126098
12/09/11 03:56 PM
12/09/11 03:56 PM
Val-haul-ass... eventually
B
BradH Offline OP
Taking time off to work on my car
BradH  Offline OP
Taking time off to work on my car
B

Val-haul-ass... eventually
Quote:

... we also have heard stories about indy single planes with number 1 wet plugs

Sounds like a Vietnamese hooker's complaint: "Go way! You number one wet plug!"

Hey, I started this thread, I can say that... right?

Re: How beneficial has wide-band O2 been to your tuning? [Re: sixpackgut] #1126099
12/09/11 09:50 PM
12/09/11 09:50 PM
Oologah, Oklahoma
Big Squeeze Offline
pro stock
Big Squeeze  Offline
pro stock

Oologah, Oklahoma
Quote:

no that was on the sheetmetal ram i had at the time. the stock intake was jetted all over the place in line with the DC manual jetting tips. the weiand xram was also jetted all over the place with dams glued to the floor.

my point was just dont hold that AF meter as gospel to what is actually going on. a Six pack is the worst but we also have heard stories about indy single planes with number 1 wet plugs

Cool....I was picturing a stock intake.....was wondering if any of the FAST guys have experimented.....

On the stock intake with the DC jetting, were the plugs all in line?? You don't happen to know the jetting, do you? I've never even seen one of those manuals, but I know what you're talking about.......

Re: How beneficial has wide-band O2 been to your tuning? [Re: Big Squeeze] #1126100
12/09/11 11:07 PM
12/09/11 11:07 PM
Texas
dannysbee Offline
master
dannysbee  Offline
master

Texas

Getting old just means you were smarter than some and luckier than others.
Re: How beneficial has wide-band O2 been to your tuning? [Re: dannysbee] #1126101
12/10/11 01:24 AM
12/10/11 01:24 AM
Western Pa
farmboy70 Offline
super stock
farmboy70  Offline
super stock

Western Pa
I was thinking of buying one of the kits. Which one would be the best? A dual or single kit?
My car has x pipe exhaust.
Tuning is not my strong suit.
This is for street tuning on a 472 Hemi.
Thanks
Dave

Re: How beneficial has wide-band O2 been to your tuning? [Re: farmboy70] #1126102
12/10/11 04:01 PM
12/10/11 04:01 PM
Thigh-Gap Junction
@
@#$%&*! Offline
New user name, Same old jerk!
@#$%&*!  Offline
New user name, Same old jerk!
@

Thigh-Gap Junction
I like my LM-2 single but a dual wasn't in the budget at the time or I'd have gone that way. I got a new sensor at Orally's Auto Parts for $52 recently. I primarily use it at the track in my Barracuda but now have bungs in just about every car. I thought I had my Demon (Thermoquad) dialed in perfectly (it ran and drove great) but the WB showed room for improvement. After a little tweaking the car runs smoother and uses less fuel and is even more responsive. I also used the LM-2 to diagnose an OBDII car recently and cleared the fault code with it.

Quote:

I was thinking of buying one of the kits. Which one would be the best? A dual or single kit?
My car has x pipe exhaust.
Tuning is not my strong suit.
This is for street tuning on a 472 Hemi.
Thanks
Dave

Re: How beneficial has wide-band O2 been to your tuning? [Re: @#$%&*!] #1126103
12/11/11 06:03 PM
12/11/11 06:03 PM
NEW JERSEY
BIGSPEED Offline
BIGSPEED  Offline

NEW JERSEY
We have our engine dyno equipted with wideband o2 on each cylinder,this allows us to get data on intake traffic and to make necessary adjustments,many of our customers have individual cylinder O2 in the car headers to make in car g force and air scoop related adjustments,we hardly use the EGT as they would throw us curves,Wideband is the way to go.Bill C.

Ceralli Racing Engines & Checkered Flag Machine Racing engines , CNC porting & induction development http://www.checkeredflagmachine.net/
Re: How beneficial has wide-band O2 been to your tuning? [Re: BIGSPEED] #1126104
12/14/11 11:18 PM
12/14/11 11:18 PM
Charleston
S
sixpackgut Offline
Drag Week Mod Champion
sixpackgut  Offline
Drag Week Mod Champion
S

Charleston
Quote:

Yes. Actually the peak was made a little richer with a smaller air bleed, flattened out the fuel curve, might have hampered the emulsion a little at the lower RPM's to lean it that ended up being good. I had considered changing it before leaving the house as my Racepak O2's showed the same, but figured the car had run so well at the track we would make the first pull as it came off my car. Plugs and MPH are the best way to make major changes, the O2's can show little details to help the fine tuning.Mark Whitener

if this interests you then this is a good thread

http://speedtalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=27500&start=705

Gen 3 power 6.22@110, 9.85@135
Follow @g3hemiswap on instagram

performance only racing, CRT, ultimate converter, superior design concepts, ThumperCarbs
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4