C
Cab_Burge Offline OP
I Win
Cab_Burge  Offline OP
I Win
C

Bend,OR USA
Quote:

CAB, if this is an automatic trans, was your idle mix testing in park or in gear? I have found that the idle mix that gives the highest idle rpm in park is often not the same setting for in gear. I prefer a solid idle in gear to prevent loading up or stalling at a light.

I was checking it in nuetral, all of my carbs that have power valves have either 3.5 or 2.5 because this motor idles at 5.6 or higher vacume in gear at or below 800 RPM. The carb I'm working on now is a 9375-2 HP that has no provisions for a power valve so it doesn't change the air fuel ratio in gear or not.I bought it used from a member on here, he said that he had not used it, he bought it used and was told that is was a Pro system carb built by Patrick There is no marking or unique identifying marks on it that I can find so who knows what or who has touched it before I bought it The reason I bought this carb was to match one I bought new several years that has the same List number on it, I wanted to use them on a tunnel ram I haven't driven the car yet with this carb. so I don't know what it will do at part throttle cruise or at WOT I have learned my lesson on used carbs, run them one at a time on something that has a dual wide ban system on it before you burn something up in the motor due to problem in the carb, like a loose power valve plug

Mr.Cab Racing and winning with Mopars since 1964. (Old F--t, Huh)
Re: AFR does affect idle RPM, suprised! [Re: Cab_Burge] #1103901
11/02/11 11:26 PM
11/02/11 11:26 PM
Iowa State fan
kilroy Offline
super stock
kilroy  Offline
super stock

Iowa State fan
High AFR at idle are common on mid to big cammed motors. The overlap pulls in raw unburned air and presents lean to the o2 senor. Tune it by vacuum and ear at idle. Or at least this is how it has been explained to me, one of the reason they uses a wide LSA in efi motors.

Last edited by kilroy; 11/02/11 11:28 PM.

1973 Charger, former SE, former auto

I'm not trying to be difficult, it comes naturally....
Page 2 of 2 1 2