Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: Front Disk Brake Conversion not working as expected [Re: Rick_Ehrenberg] #1084431
10/01/11 09:32 AM
10/01/11 09:32 AM
U.S.S.A.
JohnRR Offline
I Win
JohnRR  Offline
I Win

U.S.S.A.
Quote:

Quote:

Here's rear mounted pin calipers with braided banjo line. The line is just routed in U shaped down from the banjo fitting and upward to the body fitting.

The arrangement shown doesn't have the hose crossing the steering axis. This causes lots more twisting in the hose and mandates a very, very careful and thorough check for abrasion and "going taut" lock-to-lock, full jounce to full rebound, all combinations thereof. If the calipers must be rear hung for some reason, you are way better off moving the hardline and frame brackets to the front.

His original post led me to believe that he had pin-type calipers and they were front hung (he said LCA interference). Now he says he will move them to the front...so who knows?

Using the taller late-B knuckles may improve the camber pattern a small amount but definitely TRIPLES the bumpsteer!

Rick

So Rick which is it, the Chrysler engineers are brilliant or are they idiots?

In your articles of disc brake conversions you expound the virtues of the Chrysler engineers when it comes to the use of the taller knuckles on earlier models yet you chastise them because of the way they mounted the calipers?

You seem to forget you are dealing with Mopar owners that because the shading of reproduction hardware is off by one or 2 shades, do you really think they are going to move the brake line attachmant point and bend up their own lines ?

Re: Front Disk Brake Conversion not working as expected [Re: Rick_Ehrenberg] #1084432
10/01/11 10:22 AM
Mass
DAYCLONA Offline
I Live Here
DAYCLONA  Offline
I Live Here

Mass
Quote:

Using the taller late-B knuckles may improve the camber pattern a small amount but definitely TRIPLES the bumpsteer!

Rick

The "legend" of using the infamous "tall" knuckle just gets "tall","taller","tallest" with each telling.....next up we'll here how factory caster specs can't be met using it....

Re: Front Disk Brake Conversion not working as expected [Re: JohnRR] #1084433
moparpollack Offline
Lil Herman
moparpollack  Offline
Lil Herman

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Here's rear mounted pin calipers with braided banjo line. The line is just routed in U shaped down from the banjo fitting and upward to the body fitting.

The arrangement shown doesn't have the hose crossing the steering axis. This causes lots more twisting in the hose and mandates a very, very careful and thorough check for abrasion and "going taut" lock-to-lock, full jounce to full rebound, all combinations thereof. If the calipers must be rear hung for some reason, you are way better off moving the hardline and frame brackets to the front.

His original post led me to believe that he had pin-type calipers and they were front hung (he said LCA interference). Now he says he will move them to the front...so who knows?

Rick

In your articles of disc brake conversions you expound the virtues of the Chrysler engineers when it comes to the use of the taller knuckles on earlier models yet you chastise them because of the way they mounted the calipers?

You seem to forget you are dealing with Mopar owners that because the shading of reproduction hardware is off by one or 2 shades, do you really think they are going to move the brake line attachmant point and bend up their own lines ?

I thought Dr.Diff came up with a solution to this by using GM brake hoses from a GTO Chevelle etc.

56 Plaza 63 D100 step side 67 Coronet, 68 Roadrunner, 69 Super Bees, 69 Coronet 500 convertible, 70 Roadrunner Post, 79 D150 360, and a severe case of Mopar a,d,d
Re: Front Disk Brake Conversion not working as expected [Re: dvw] #1084434
10/01/11 11:09 AM
10/01/11 11:09 AM
Marlboro, NY, USA
R
Rick_Ehrenberg Offline
top fuel
Rick_Ehrenberg  Offline
top fuel
R

Marlboro, NY, USA
Quote:

My knowledge of bump steer is this. You need to form a parallelogram with these 4 points. The lower control arm pivot. The inner tie rod pivot. The lower ball joint pivot. And the outer tie rod pivot. Can you explain how raising the upper ball joint pivot affects this? I don't see it.
Doug

Maybe this will help you see... ;->

Rick

Re: Front Disk Brake Conversion not working as expected [Re: moparpollack] #1084435
10/01/11 11:21 AM
10/01/11 11:21 AM
Marlboro, NY, USA
R
Rick_Ehrenberg Offline
top fuel
Rick_Ehrenberg  Offline
top fuel
R

Marlboro, NY, USA
Quote:

You seem to forget you are dealing with Mopar owners that because the shading of reproduction hardware is off by one or 2 shades, do you really think they are going to move the brake line attachmant <sic> point and bend up their own lines ?

Quote:

I thought Dr.Diff came up with a solution to this by using GM brake hoses from a GTO Chevelle etc.

Huh?

In 25 years, I never wrote anything positive about a "taller knuckle swap". Quite the contrary! So I'm lost re: that comment.

I see very little functional difference re: caliper mounting position, esp. for anything close to normal street driving. The important thing is that hose routing; stock setups always crossed the steering axis. When they moved the calipers to the rear, they also moved the frame bracket to the front. No hose swap can correct this, the frame bracket needs to be moved. Yes, a lot of guys won't bother do that -- that's the danger! I have seen a LOT of brake-swapped Mopars with brake hoses that are, effectively, the steering stop! Scary feces!

It isn't impossible to have a decent setup with both ends of the hose on one side or the other (of the knuckle), you just need to really take the time to be 100% sure all parameters I've outlined are met, and be cognizant that hose life will be reduced (from the twisting).

Rick

Re: Front Disk Brake Conversion not working as expected [Re: Rick_Ehrenberg] #1084436
10/01/11 11:52 AM
10/01/11 11:52 AM
MI, usa
dvw Offline
master
dvw  Offline
master

MI, usa
Quote:

Quote:

My knowledge of bump steer is this. You need to form a parallelogram with these 4 points. The lower control arm pivot. The inner tie rod pivot. The lower ball joint pivot. And the outer tie rod pivot. Can you explain how raising the upper ball joint pivot affects this? I don't see it.
Doug

Rick

Per your diagram the center line thru the control pivots/inner tie rod is not parallel to the center line thru the ball joints/outer tie rod. Therefore the tie rod arc versus the lower control arm arc will swing on a different radius. This would produce toe change.
Is this not correct?
Doug

Re: Front Disk Brake Conversion not working as expected [Re: Rick_Ehrenberg] #1084437
10/01/11 12:26 PM
10/01/11 12:26 PM
U.S.S.A.
JohnRR Offline
I Win
JohnRR  Offline
I Win

U.S.S.A.
Quote:

Quote:

You seem to forget you are dealing with Mopar owners that because the shading of reproduction hardware is off by one or 2 shades, do you really think they are going to move the brake line attachmant <sic> point and bend up their own lines ?

Quote:

Huh?

In 25 years, I never wrote anything positive about a "taller knuckle swap". Quite the contrary! So I'm lost re: that comment.

I see very little functional difference re: caliper mounting position, esp. for anything close to normal street driving. The important thing is that hose routing; stock setups always crossed the steering axis. When they moved the calipers to the rear, they also moved the frame bracket to the front. No hose swap can correct this, the frame bracket needs to be moved. Yes, a lot of guys won't bother do that -- that's the danger! I have seen a LOT of brake-swapped Mopars with brake hoses that are, effectively, the steering stop! Scary feces!

It isn't impossible to have a decent setup with both ends of the hose on one side or the other (of the knuckle), you just need to really take the time to be 100% sure all parameters I've outlined are met, and be cognizant that hose life will be reduced (from the twisting).

Rick

Maybe I didn't say it properly above but I didn't say you were telling people to use the taller knuckles, you always were against it and if I remember correctly you said that the Chrysler engineers knew more/better than Joe shade-tree, I took what you had to say on the subject as gospel because you know more than this Joe Shade-tree. I haven't used the taller knuckles yet , I'm still over incorrectly plated hardware, but enough people have used them and haven't died that there doesn't appear to be the issue some other believe there is ???

But you are incorrect with your hose crossing the steering axis, that didn't happen till 1970 on a B body , 66-69 B bodies AND 6?-72 A bodies have the calipers mounted to the rear AND hose attachment point is also to the rear.

My spell checker doesn't see anything wrong so you won't have to worry yourself with that this time around .

Re: Front Disk Brake Conversion not working as expected [Re: JohnRR] #1084438
10/01/11 01:19 PM
10/01/11 01:19 PM
Marlboro, NY, USA
R
Rick_Ehrenberg Offline
top fuel
Rick_Ehrenberg  Offline
top fuel
R

Marlboro, NY, USA
Every time this topic comes up, it seems to feed on itself, ad infinitum.

The diagram isn't a Mopar, and may not be perfect. You asked for an explanation as to why moving the ball joint affects bumpsteer, and this does make that clear.

There's an old engineering axiom: Perfection is the enemy of good. At some point, you've gotta say "uncle", and get the pig into production. Lots of Mopars were pretty far from perfect. EG: fast-ratio E-bodies with lousy Ackermann (the engineer told me, basically: "it worked OK"...and it does. Most of the '80s-'90s FWD stuff with MacPherson struts, and the horrendous linkless swaybar setup. And, worst of all, F/J/M-body front suspension. Plot that curve! But, as was pointed out, nobody got killed. The cars just could'a been better. (A few Chrysler engineers did quit over the F/J/M suspension however).

I have cut some pretty fast lap times with the FWD stuff, and, on a smooth course, even the F/J/M stuff can work. Make the asphalt bumpy or undulating, though... ;->

Generally, all the later ('60-'62-up) longitudinal T-bar suspension designs (the ones with the adjuster in the LCA) were very, very good. I have the SAE papers that compare them to contemporary competitors, which looks like F1 vs. soap box racer. My point, therefore, is why, if the design is so very good, knowingly degrade it, when the parts to do it right are pretty easy to come by?

One the hose routing issue: I stand corrected, I was thinking "single piston caliper". But the point remains unchanged, on any non-OEM swap, be sure to check for stretch and abrasion as I outlined.

Rick

Re: Front Disk Brake Conversion not working as expected [Re: Rick_Ehrenberg] #1084439
10/01/11 02:56 PM
10/01/11 02:56 PM
So Cal
autoxcuda Offline
Too Many Posts
autoxcuda  Offline
Too Many Posts

So Cal
Quote:

Rick

It's not idiot proof. You've got to think things out/

I run braided hose. The hose picture had been on the car from 1993 to 2010. It's been in 4 years of Iowa salty winters. It out lived: a broken K-member, bent steel rim/dimpled up shock tower hole/bent valance, and a few off race track surface "excursions", and about 80,000 miles

I only took it off because I changed some stuff. Hose was fine.

Re: Front Disk Brake Conversion not working as expected [Re: Rick_Ehrenberg] #1084440
10/01/11 05:46 PM
10/01/11 05:46 PM
U.S.S.A.
JohnRR Offline
I Win
JohnRR  Offline
I Win

U.S.S.A.
Quote:

Every time this topic comes up, it seems to feed on itself, ad infinitum.

The diagram isn't a Mopar, and may not be perfect. You asked for an explanation as to why moving the ball joint affects bumpsteer, and this does make that clear.

There's an old engineering axiom: Perfection is the enemy of good. At some point, you've gotta say "uncle", and get the pig into production. Lots of Mopars were pretty far from perfect. EG: fast-ratio E-bodies with lousy Ackermann (the engineer told me, basically: "it worked OK"...and it does. Most of the '80s-'90s FWD stuff with MacPherson struts, and the horrendous linkless swaybar setup. And, worst of all, F/J/M-body front suspension. Plot that curve! But, as was pointed out, nobody got killed. The cars just could'a been better. (A few Chrysler engineers did quit over the F/J/M suspension however).

I have cut some pretty fast lap times with the FWD stuff, and, on a smooth course, even the F/J/M stuff can work. Make the asphalt bumpy or undulating, though... ;->

Generally, all the later ('60-'62-up) longitudinal T-bar suspension designs (the ones with the adjuster in the LCA) were very, very good. I have the SAE papers that compare them to contemporary competitors, which looks like F1 vs. soap box racer. My point, therefore, is why, if the design is so very good, knowingly degrade it, when the parts to do it right are pretty easy to come by?

One the hose routing issue: I stand corrected, I was thinking "single piston caliper". But the point remains unchanged, on any non-OEM swap, be sure to check for stretch and abrasion as I outlined.

Rick

Thanks Rick, question, is there a quality repop of the A,B,E spindle because are getting harder to come by?

Re: Front Disk Brake Conversion not working as expected [Re: Rick_Ehrenberg] #1084441
10/01/11 06:23 PM
10/01/11 06:23 PM
Today? Who Knows?
1_WILD_RT Offline
Management Trainee
1_WILD_RT  Offline
Management Trainee

Today? Who Knows?
Quote:

Quote:

Doug

Rick

So rather than just posting the picture how about explaining what it represents.... Cause the blue lines are more of a concern in bump steer & spindle height has a minimal effect on those... In my limited background the red lines are represent a angle that effects anti-dive characteristics allot more than bumpsteer... Why not tells us the what & why not just post a picture....

"The Armies of our ancestors were lucky, in that they were not trailed by a second army of pencil pushers."
Re: Front Disk Brake Conversion not working as expected [Re: JohnRR] #1084442
10/01/11 06:53 PM
10/01/11 06:53 PM
IN
A
ahy Offline
master
ahy  Offline
master
A

IN
Quote:

Thanks Rick, question, is there a quality repop of the A,B,E spindle because are getting harder to come by?

Master Power Brakes sells a good re-pop late A/E spindle.

Re: Front Disk Brake Conversion not working as expected [Re: ahy] #1084443
10/01/11 09:50 PM
10/01/11 09:50 PM
up yours
Supercuda Offline
About to go away
Supercuda  Offline
About to go away

up yours
Someone is confusing roll center with bump steer, spindle height has nothing to do with bumpsteer.

Bumpsteer http://www.i-car.com/pdf/advantage/online/2003/090203.pdf

Roll center http://www.neohio-scca.org/comp_clinic/hand_out_reprints/Vehicle%20Dynamics2007.pdf

BTW, just about anyone can join the SAE http://www.sae.org/membership/faqs/

They say there are no such thing as a stupid question.
They say there is always the exception that proves the rule.
Don't be the exception.
Re: Front Disk Brake Conversion not working as expected [Re: Supercuda] #1084444
10/02/11 12:28 AM
10/02/11 12:28 AM
Marlboro, NY, USA
R
Rick_Ehrenberg Offline
top fuel
Rick_Ehrenberg  Offline
top fuel
R

Marlboro, NY, USA
I'm a lousy artist so just try to visualize this:

Make the knuckle's upper section (from the spindle c/l to the UBJ) MUCH longer. Now, at rest, the UCA has a pronounced upward tilt - the angle between the steering axis and the c/l of the UBJ and UCA pivot bushings is near zero at rest. As the suspension is rebounded, watch the huge camber change as the top of the knuckle moves out. This moves the outer tie rod end a bunch, too -- there's your bumpsteer.

As I mentioned, somebody actually took the time to measure and plot this. If I can find the file or chart I will post it here. The toe change was approx. 3X on the '73-up B knuckle vs the correct one. (On a car originally equipped with the "short" knuckle).

FYI: The reason the knuckle was made taller on the '73 Bs (and F/J/J/M/R etc) was the the UCA pivot point also had to move up, since it was now on the rubber isolated K vs. on brackets welded right to the top of the rail on the earlier design.

Minimizing bumpsteer is one of the goals we should all aim for...even if the car never sees a road course or auto-x. It contributes greatly to the "pleasure to drive" factor - one of those intangibles that makes a car a keeper!

Rick

Re: Front Disk Brake Conversion not working as expected [Re: ahy] #1084445
10/02/11 12:30 AM
10/02/11 12:30 AM
Marlboro, NY, USA
R
Rick_Ehrenberg Offline
top fuel
Rick_Ehrenberg  Offline
top fuel
R

Marlboro, NY, USA
Quote:

Quote:

Master Power Brakes sells a good re-pop late A/E spindle.

Be real careful. A lot of them are cast iron!

Rick

Re: Front Disk Brake Conversion not working as expected [Re: Rick_Ehrenberg] #1084446
10/02/11 10:09 AM
10/02/11 10:09 AM
up yours
Supercuda Offline
About to go away
Supercuda  Offline
About to go away

up yours
Quote:

As I mentioned, somebody actually took the time to measure and plot this. If I can find the file or chart I will post it here. The toe change was approx. 3X on the '73-up B knuckle vs the correct one. (On a car originally equipped with the "short" knuckle).

http://www.bigblockdart.com/techpages/spindles.shtml

They say there are no such thing as a stupid question.
They say there is always the exception that proves the rule.
Don't be the exception.
Re: Front Disk Brake Conversion not working as expected [Re: 1970440RT] #1084447
10/02/11 12:37 PM
10/02/11 12:37 PM
Oregon
A
AndyF Offline
I Win
AndyF  Offline
I Win
A

Oregon
Pick up a copy of my new B body book when it comes out. I spent several chapters on brake systems.
http://www.amazon.com/B-Body-Performance-Upgrades-1962-79-Design/dp/1934709301

Re: Front Disk Brake Conversion not working as expected [Re: AndyF] #1084448
10/02/11 01:23 PM
10/02/11 01:23 PM
MI, usa
dvw Offline
master
dvw  Offline
master

MI, usa
The chart in the post above is the one I saw. It shows the tall spindles toe change almost identical to the short one. I do agree camber change will change toe. Camber will change unless both upper and lower control arms are the same length. That's not going to happen.
Doug

Re: Front Disk Brake Conversion not working as expected [Re: dvw] #1084449
10/02/11 01:39 PM
10/02/11 01:39 PM
So Cal
autoxcuda Offline
Too Many Posts
autoxcuda  Offline
Too Many Posts

So Cal
Quote:

I looked and could not find the chart I saw. It showed the tall spindles toe change almost identical to the short one. I do agree camber change will change toe. Camber will change unless both upper and lower control arms are the same length. That's not going to happen.
Doug

Caster change in bump and rebound has a large effect on bump steer too. Looking at the side of the spindle in bump and rebound, the spindle rotates forward and back. That moves the lower tie rod end up and down and changes bump steer.

A lot of that comes from the side angle of the upper control that is made for anti dive. That's why Hotchkis relocated the upper control arms on thier B/E body arms to take some anti dive out (not fully remove) and reduce bump steer.

Re: Front Disk Brake Conversion not working as expected [Re: dvw] #1084450
10/03/11 11:34 PM
10/03/11 11:34 PM
Marlboro, NY, USA
R
Rick_Ehrenberg Offline
top fuel
Rick_Ehrenberg  Offline
top fuel
R

Marlboro, NY, USA
Quote:

The chart in the post above is the one I saw. It shows the tall spindles toe change almost identical to the short one. <snip>

Hmmm... that chart shows 0.081" total toe change for the "correct" knuckles, and 0.199" for the taller ones...that's pretty close to the 3X I remember. Far from identical!

Rick

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5