08/25/11 12:19 AM
U.S.S.A.
JohnRR Offline
I Win
JohnRR  Offline
I Win

U.S.S.A.
Quote:

Just to play devils advocate here... Didn't the edelbrock rpm heads have the same problems?

Re: Broken valve guides at 440 Source heads [Re: Twostick] #1062194
08/25/11 12:20 AM
08/25/11 12:20 AM
Glendale, AZ
69L78Nova Offline
Banned. Forever.
69L78Nova  Offline
Banned. Forever.

Glendale, AZ
Quote:

And if you don't check retainer to guide clearance, lifter pre-load on a juice cam or don't know enough to look at the tach, your American made 906's can look like that too.

Quite true, but there aren't multiple posts even here on Moparts that bash factory, MP or Edelbrock heads like they do with the Source heads. All I see is people badmouthing them. Sure, there are some out there that came from a "good" batch, but I'm not too keen on spending a grand on a pair of CHINESE heads, only to have to dump another $500-1000 into them to repair flaws. They are nice because they look close to a stock head when painted, but to pull them out of the box and have to repair cracks, pinholes, retainers/locks......no thanks

1969 Nova
454/M21/3.31
Mild mid-11 second weekend cruiser

1994 F150 XLT Super Cab 2WD
5.0/4R70W/3.55
(Daily driver)
Re: Broken valve guides at 440 Source heads [Re: Twostick] #1062195
08/25/11 12:23 AM
08/25/11 12:23 AM
U.S.S.A.
JohnRR Offline
I Win
JohnRR  Offline
I Win

U.S.S.A.
Quote:

Quote:

How come the one to the right looks fine and the two broken ones are mangled? I'd figure that the one to the right would be showing some signs of abuse even if it isn't busted off? All valve springs and keepers are the same (or should be).

Tight valve clearances cause the valve to stick and then the piston hits the valve and bends it. Never heard of a sticky valve causing the top of a guide to shear clean off like that.

If he didn't check guide clearance he not likely checked installed height either. If the spring pressures are different valve to valve, some will float before others which could explain this carnage. A simple disassemble and inspect which should be done to ANY parts before use could have prevented this.

Kevin

But , but , but , the springs are good for .600 lift .... if you believe the hype.

There seems to be some ASSuMEptions going on here ...

Remember these were run out of the box, many have CLAIMED to have just installed them as received and never had any problems after 100 years and 1 million race miles ...

cue the miester of marketing 101 in 3 , 2 , 1 ...

Re: Broken valve guides at 440 Source heads [Re: 69L78Nova] #1062196
08/25/11 12:29 AM
08/25/11 12:29 AM
U.S.S.A.
JohnRR Offline
I Win
JohnRR  Offline
I Win

U.S.S.A.
Quote:

Quote:

And if you don't check retainer to guide clearance, lifter pre-load on a juice cam or don't know enough to look at the tach, your American made 906's can look like that too.

Quite true, but there aren't multiple posts even here on Moparts that bash factory, MP or Edelbrock heads like they do with the Source heads. All I see is people badmouthing them. Sure, there are some out there that came from a "good" batch, but I'm not too keen on spending a grand on a pair of CHINESE heads, only to have to dump another $500-1000 into them to repair flaws. They are nice because they look close to a stock head when painted, but to pull them out of the box and have to repair cracks, pinholes, retainers/locks......no thanks

What do you mean there are multiple posts bashing these head? There are thousands of posts with nothing but love for CCJ and the messiah of mopar big block strokers , those that bash or question get kicked and ridiculed by the throngs of followers ...

Re: Broken valve guides at 440 Source heads [Re: JohnRR] #1062197
08/25/11 12:44 AM
08/25/11 12:44 AM
Northern Indiana
Dunnuck Racing Offline
master
Dunnuck Racing  Offline
master

Northern Indiana
Hmmmmm,
My MP 452 Aluminum heads came in with one head having no shims installed under the springs,but the other was fine.
I guess all MP heads are junk too,oh wait,these are made for MP by Edelbrock.
I guess we all should buy Indy heads,oh wait,a lot of bashers there too!
All parts must be inspected adjusted and installed by someone with the proper knowledge or issues can and will happen.
I'm not saying 440 Source has not had problems,but it sure seems like a familiar trend,a guy buys the cheapest thing he can find and throws it on and has issues with it.

I would not buy a "certified" used car and drive it accross the country without checking it over myself,why should a new set of heads be any different?
Keith

Re: Broken valve guides at 440 Source heads [Re: Dunnuck Racing] #1062198
08/25/11 01:20 AM
08/25/11 01:20 AM
Great Lakes Region
A
abodiesonly1 Offline
mopar
abodiesonly1  Offline
mopar
A

Great Lakes Region
Come on we know this stuff NEVER happens with other manufacturers heads/parts!

Anyone thinks that's something other than a clearance issue is whacked or has an agenda.

Re: Broken valve guides at 440 Source heads [Re: 69L78Nova] #1062199
08/25/11 01:28 AM
08/25/11 01:28 AM
Downtown Roebuck Ont
Twostick Offline
Still wishing...
Twostick  Offline
Still wishing...

Downtown Roebuck Ont
Quote:

Quote:

You could spend even more for MP Stage VI heads and spend that much and more to fix them. My RPM's needed the valve job fixed. The Chinese don't have the poor quality control market cornered by any stretch.

Do an Indy search. No shortage of crap there either.

If those heads had been properly inspected in the first place any guide issues ie too tall, lack of retainer clearance for the cam intended or broken right OOTB could have been resolved by sending them back. Maybe they were junk OOTB. No way to tell at this point.

Kevin

Re: Broken valve guides at 440 Source heads [Re: Twostick] #1062200
08/25/11 04:25 AM
08/25/11 04:25 AM
dracut mass usa
S
sparcy Offline
enthusiast
sparcy  Offline
enthusiast
S

dracut mass usa
quality control is a thing of the past . WE also ride custum motor cycles that break and down . MY 69 charger 500 miles after total reconstruction and about 20,000 dollars in drive train ( IM A LOCOMOTIVE ENGINEER) THE trany started acting up (MY BROTHER OWNS A VERY HUGE TRANY SHOP he built it . well I did he told me what to put where -FAILED , combination valve from IN LINE TUBE FAILED , BRAND new headman ceramic headers needed major mods and still rub trany pan . orange box FAILED . I have a chrome alt didnt work oofb and small starter that worked 2 times , the 2 cost over 300 . There is a advanced auto parts starter and alt in my car now because it was after 8 and napa was closed . Im use to my everyday driver so I try to hold my 69 to it, and IM getting close steering , brakes are so good now its so much FUN to drive but the performance is what its all about . HIGH PERFORMANCE CUSTOM !!! plane and simple ..There is one completed engine in the stand and another in the cart waiting for fuel injection and a blower ( THAT WAS BUILT FOR A NEW CHAL )MORE FABRICATING AND MORE BROKEN PARTS AFTER 500 miles .. IF IM lucky LOL !! so whats it all about ? ITS DIFERENT for each and evryone of us . I GOT BRAND NEW PARTS FROM MAGNUM FORCE FOR A BODY AND I OWN 2 Bees and they will not take them back and it was there fault SENDING THE WRONG STUFF .. Fix your heads have them chkd and done rite and go burn rubber !!!!

IF YOU ARE NOT WRECKING STUFF YOU ARE NOT LEARNING !
Re: Broken valve guides at 440 Source heads [Re: abodiesonly1] #1062201
08/25/11 09:21 AM
08/25/11 09:21 AM
U.S.S.A.
JohnRR Offline
I Win
JohnRR  Offline
I Win

U.S.S.A.
Quote:

Anyone thinks that's something other than a clearance issue is whacked or has an agenda.

Pot meet kettle ...

Till the OP lets the cat out of the bag on what cam was used bashing the bashers is your agenda ...

Re: Broken valve guides at 440 Source heads [Re: AutoEngineer] #1062202
08/25/11 09:47 AM
08/25/11 09:47 AM
chicagoland,usa
B
buildanother Offline
I Live Here
buildanother  Offline
I Live Here
B

chicagoland,usa
Looks to me that the guides were not exactly pushed all the way down either, from the get go, making them a little on the tall side.

Re: Broken valve guides at 440 Source heads [Re: JohnRR] #1062203
08/25/11 09:51 AM
08/25/11 09:51 AM
ILL
M
MLR426 Offline
master
MLR426  Offline
master
M

ILL
All aftermarket heads have to be inspected, straighted up in some fashion or another to fit the application they will be used for. All the aftemarket heads I've bought for customers no matter what brand will need the guides check for correct clearance for the application and valve seats corrected for width,so the contact location for the valve is right, along with a deck mill to flatten the surface usually .006 minimum per head.
After market heads do the talking for themselves on quality and reliability, the members on here just write about the experiences and it's not bashing if the statements are true and backed up with facts.
I'm waiting for the cam size to be told.

logan426

Last edited by Logan426; 08/25/11 09:52 AM.
Re: Broken valve guides at 440 Source heads [Re: Twostick] #1062204
08/25/11 09:52 AM
08/25/11 09:52 AM
Grand Haven, MI
patrick Offline
I Live Here
patrick  Offline
I Live Here

Grand Haven, MI
Quote:

Quote:

How come the one to the right looks fine and the two broken ones are mangled? I'd figure that the one to the right would be showing some signs of abuse even if it isn't busted off? All valve springs and keepers are the same (or should be).

Tight valve clearances cause the valve to stick and then the piston hits the valve and bends it. Never heard of a sticky valve causing the top of a guide to shear clean off like that.

If he didn't check guide clearance he not likely checked installed height either. If the spring pressures are different valve to valve, some will float before others which could explain this carnage. A simple disassemble and inspect which should be done to ANY parts before use could have prevented this.

Kevin

varying installed height, varying guide height, coupled with maybe a few weaker springs could explain why only 4 were broken...

Last edited by patrick; 08/25/11 09:56 AM.

1976 Spinnaker White Plymouth Duster, /6 A833OD
1986 Silver/Twilight Blue Chrysler 5th Ave HotRod **SOLD!***
2011 Toxic Orange Dodge Charger R/T
2017 Grand Cherokee Overland
2014 Jeep Cherokee Latitude (holy crap, my daughter is driving)
Re: Broken valve guides at 440 Source heads [Re: patrick] #1062205
08/25/11 09:57 AM
08/25/11 09:57 AM
ILL
M
MLR426 Offline
master
MLR426  Offline
master
M

ILL
Bigger cam + high rev + inadequate retainer clearance + wrong valve spring + possibly wrong installed height = broken parts...
The push rods should checked for straightness.

logan426

Re: Broken valve guides at 440 Source heads [Re: AutoEngineer] #1062206
08/25/11 11:06 AM
08/25/11 11:06 AM
Moved to N.E. Tennessee
GomangoCuda Offline
master
GomangoCuda  Offline
master

Moved to N.E. Tennessee
The picture show some significant clearancing for the pushrods. What brand and ratio rockers were used and what was the net lift at the valve?

The spring pockets look kind of galled up. Were there shims and/or cups under the springs?

In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is.
Re: Broken valve guides at 440 Source heads [Re: GomangoCuda] #1062207
08/25/11 12:17 PM
08/25/11 12:17 PM
Cincinnati, Ohio
S
superbeedave Offline
mopar
superbeedave  Offline
mopar
S

Cincinnati, Ohio
That is the same thing I was thinking. The seat on the right looks smooth like it had shims under the spring but the two on the left looks pretty scared up. Were there shims under those two valve springs? If not then that would probably explain alot of why those two guides broke. Valve spring installed height at those two could have been way short causing coil bind!

Re: Broken valve guides at 440 Source heads [Re: superbeedave] #1062208
08/25/11 12:44 PM
08/25/11 12:44 PM
Akron, Ohio U.S.A.
roadhazard Offline
master
roadhazard  Offline
master

Akron, Ohio U.S.A.
Challenger1, Neil and JohnRR, YES you guys are right! The broken guide tops are pictured upside down.
I should have looked a little closer

However the seal on the right is crooked on the guide top which lead me to the retainer to guide top clearance issue. Also both guides in the picture were intakes. Were the others that broke intakes as well

Sure would like to see some cam specs (possibly higher lift on the intake side), rocker ratio and a whole lot more info on the springs, retainers, rockers and shims/cups used. Also what the push rods look like on the effected broken areas.

Lets see some more pics with additional info.

Re: Broken valve guides at 440 Source heads [Re: roadhazard] #1062209
08/25/11 01:21 PM
08/25/11 01:21 PM
Indiana
F
Fury Fan Offline
master
Fury Fan  Offline
master
F

Indiana
FWIW -
One reason why there are these crazy 'satisfied' customers for the Stealth heads is automotive demographics. Guys that can't afford (or don't want/need) super-high RPM and HP, buy them and run them as-is. Small cams, lower RPM, stock rockers, etc. They don't push the envelope, so the corner-of-the-box problems don't happen to those guys.

As others have said, for demanding applications, things *must* be checked.

Now, back to teh diagnosis!

Re: Broken valve guides at 440 Source heads [Re: Fury Fan] #1062210
08/25/11 04:27 PM
08/25/11 04:27 PM
Downtown Roebuck Ont
Twostick Offline
Still wishing...
Twostick  Offline
Still wishing...

Downtown Roebuck Ont
Quote:

FWIW -
One reason why there are these crazy 'satisfied' customers for the Stealth heads is automotive demographics. Guys that can't afford (or don't want/need) super-high RPM and HP, buy them and run them as-is. Small cams, lower RPM, stock rockers, etc. They don't push the envelope, so the corner-of-the-box problems don't happen to those guys.

As others have said, for demanding applications, things *must* be checked.

Now, back to teh diagnosis!

With a slight proviso: Check them regardless of application. When my E-heads came in they went straight to my machinist for disassembly and the valve job was found wanting. Guides and installed height checked. It added $150 to my machine shop bill. Cheap insurance IMHO. Bet it cost more than that to fix the OP's mess.

Kevin

Last edited by Twostick; 08/25/11 04:28 PM.
Re: Broken valve guides at 440 Source heads [Re: Twostick] #1062211
08/25/11 06:51 PM
08/25/11 06:51 PM
Up in the North and Far Away
A
AutoEngineer Offline OP
AutoEngineer  Offline OP
A

Up in the North and Far Away
Whow, this became a real HOT topic

To be a little more accurate with my words, the valve guide clearances were not measured with a dial indicator or any other measuring device. I apologize, for me checking means that a measuring device has been used.

So the actual reading was not checked, it was only estimated being enough by wiggling the valve from the head. That MIGHT have been the Achilles heel at this proven engine combo.

Here in surroundings area are a couple of 440 rebuilds with almost similar basic components, using 440 Source heads at look-alike-restored-cars . Edelbrock, Indy, Procomp etc heads that look like a brick have not been an alternative for those cars. Basicly so far there has not been any big unexpected issues with these heads. Changing the retainers, valve locks and at some cases also springs has saved from many headaches.

Here's some more facts from the motor (or fuel for the fire for all 440 Source bashers )

The 2 broken guides shown are flipped upside down, the top of the valve seals were not hammered off and then they slid down the guide.

Three of the broken valve guides were intakes, one exhaust.

- Valve springs in this combo are Comp dual valve springs, seat load 130 lbs @ 1.85 and 320 lbs at max lift of the valve. Valve springs were carefully shimmed like GomangoCuda noticed from the wear of spring pockets

- Retainers are Comp's chromemoly steel 10° Super Lock and guide clearance at max lift was checked, not close
- Roller rocker arms with 1.6 ratio
- Rocker arm geometry was corrected with .030 shims under the rocker shafts.
- Cam is not very radical, a hydraulic flat tappet Comp XE284H
- With 1.6 rockers, intake valve lift .541 and exhaust valve .544
- Lifters, Comp High Energy. Preload 3/4 turn, ~.040. With ½ turn they were noisy, a little more preload was added.
- Pushrods are 3/8" diameter. Therefore the picture shows some significant clearancing for the pushrods. Pushrods are .080” wall chromemoly steel tubing and they all are straight as an arrow, no bend rods.
- Motor was driven less than 1000 miles after a complete rebuild
- Valves have not hit pistons, at least no sign of it
- Over rev, more than possible knowing the driving habits of owner

About tight valve guides [Email]Jeff@MCH[/Email] wrote earlier here at Moparts https://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=6665484&Main=6663766

Quote:

ive never really seen tight guides though i ream them when i port them... out of the box they ream them from the port side up towards the valve top and sometimes there is a burr turned up above the guide which will restrict oil from getting in to lubricate teh valve/guide,,, ive told brandon about it and i believe he has fixed it with recent "batches" of heads

My original question was, has anyone else had similar problems with these heads and have you used some standard replacement guides or some custom fabricated guides to fit the Source heads? I did not find any direct replacement guides for these heads from 440Source website. Maybe I will give them a call.

Three of the broken valve guides were intakes, one was exhaust

After all comments, the final diagnosis for the broken valve guides is still open?

Re: Broken valve guides at 440 Source heads [Re: AutoEngineer] #1062212
08/25/11 07:01 PM
08/25/11 07:01 PM
Cincinnati, Ohio
Challenger 1 Offline
Too Many Posts
Challenger 1  Offline
Too Many Posts

Cincinnati, Ohio
1.6 rockers are the problem, imo. Run 1.5 rockers and install the cam with the lift you want with 1.5 rockers. 1.6 rockers cause lot's of stress, you even said you tried to correct valve train geometry. You shouldn't have to.

Silly everyone want's to run them. Mopars can't handle them as easy as like say a chevy.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3