08/19/11 09:06 PM
08/19/11 09:06 PM
Great Neck,LI,new york
hemi-itis Offline
I Live Here
hemi-itis  Offline
I Live Here

Great Neck,LI,new york
First I would want someone familiar with my type of build and knows a trick or 2, Secondly I would rather be quoted high,say $1000 and the final cost be $900 .If your quoted $800 and it comes to $900,you'll feel jammed

HEMI-ITIS has no cure.
My condition is fully BLOWN!!
Re: engine assembly labor [Re: Oyvind Mopar] #1055054
08/19/11 09:36 PM
08/19/11 09:36 PM
Florida STAYcation
dOrk ! Offline
The village idiot's idiot
dOrk !  Offline

Florida STAYcation
Quote:

But, you got a Hemi....Keep it living, too many Hemis went down the drain. The worst engines I work on are Hemis that have had multiple repairs/overhauls.

I agree 101% ....those HEMIroids are a PITA ! ...and many owners are the same way - 'specially ones in early Bee bodies with huffers on them.

I say ...charge them DOUBLE the labor-rate and let us poor-church-mice(with the lowly 413's and 440's) get-a-break on the machine work and labor rates ...

Re: engine assembly labor [Re: dOrk !] #1055055
08/19/11 10:37 PM
08/19/11 10:37 PM
Great Neck,LI,new york
hemi-itis Offline
I Live Here
hemi-itis  Offline
I Live Here

Great Neck,LI,new york
Quote:

Quote:

But, you got a Hemi....Keep it living, too many Hemis went down the drain. The worst engines I work on are Hemis that have had multiple repairs/overhauls.

I agree 101% ....those HEMIroids are a PITA ! ...and many owners are the same way - 'specially ones in early Bee bodies with huffers on them.

I say ...charge them DOUBLE the labor-rate and let us poor-church-mice(with the lowly 413's and 440's) get-a-break on the machine work and labor rates ...

Knowin U.it get's done did by Tennesee tuxeedo where the rate is fAiR

HEMI-ITIS has no cure.
Re: engine assembly labor [Re: HardcoreB] #1055056
08/20/11 12:14 AM
08/20/11 12:14 AM
Someplace you aren't
S
SomeCarGuy Offline
I Live Here
SomeCarGuy  Offline
I Live Here
S

Someplace you aren't
Quote:

Quote:

800 is fair... you could ask for the cam degree job to be thrown in.

I agree...burn that bridge over $1-200. There are just some people you shouldn't do business with until their perception changes IMO. Let him take it to this other shop that is cheaper, I say.

You aren't a business guy and it shows. If the competition is charging less locally, any business owner will tell you that is what determines the price. Might not even be aware he is losing business over a small amount of $$$. That is what sways the buying public many times.

200 bucks for a degree job? Send them all to me.

Re: engine assembly labor [Re: SomeCarGuy] #1055057
08/20/11 01:15 AM
08/20/11 01:15 AM
Delray beach, Florida
P
Performance Only Offline
top fuel
Performance Only  Offline
top fuel
P

Delray beach, Florida
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I agree...burn that bridge over $1-200. There are just some people you shouldn't do business with until their perception changes IMO. Let him take it to this other shop that is cheaper, I say.

You aren't a business guy and it shows. If the competition is charging less locally, any business owner will tell you that is what determines the price. Might not even be aware he is losing business over a small amount of $$$. That is what sways the buying public many times.

really? so basically your saying everyone should shop by price alone?
i think some people do that, others shop by reputation and experience. which would you rather have?

machine shop owner and engine builder
Re: engine assembly labor [Re: Performance Only] #1055058
08/20/11 02:00 AM
08/20/11 02:00 AM
North Carolina
sasquatch Offline
master
sasquatch  Offline
master

North Carolina
Anybody on here know any rich machine shop owners? Most engine builders I know are barely getting by. We are charging the same rates for machine shop labor that we were almost 20 years ago and people still hollar. Most guys do it because we love it, it sure ain't for the cash and glory.
Todd

Re: engine assembly labor [Re: Performance Only] #1055059
08/20/11 02:17 AM
08/20/11 02:17 AM
Someplace you aren't
S
SomeCarGuy Offline
I Live Here
SomeCarGuy  Offline
I Live Here
S

Someplace you aren't
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

i think some people do that, others shop by reputation and experience. which would you rather have?

Depends. You were the one that was charging a ton for stuff a few years ago and got put off by others delivering quality work for much less. So I would expect your outlook to be different, based on the explosion you had then.

I deal w/ many different industries/trades in my work. It's always possible to find people doing quality work for less than you were paying for quality work. Not everyday, but if you keep an eye out, you will find what you need. Letting the same guy charge whatever he feels just 'cause he does good work is a good way to get gouged.

Re: engine assembly labor [Re: sasquatch] #1055060
08/20/11 02:24 AM
08/20/11 02:24 AM
MD
HEMI472 Offline
super stock
HEMI472  Offline
super stock

MD
if the machine shop does all the machine work on the engine and you get most or all of the parts from them i dont think thay should charge that much. if they did the machine work right it should bolt togather why should they check there own work?? and i havent found one yet with a warranty. but i have heard thousands of reasons why it blowed up.and none of them was because the builder or the machine shop screwed up

Last edited by HEMI472; 08/20/11 02:39 AM.
Re: engine assembly labor [Re: sasquatch] #1055061
08/20/11 02:28 AM
08/20/11 02:28 AM
Florida STAYcation
dOrk ! Offline
dOrk !  Offline

Florida STAYcation
Quote:

Anybody on here know any rich machine shop owners? Most engine builders I know are barely getting by. We are charging the same rates for machine shop labor that we were almost 20 years ago and people still hollar. Most guys do it because we love it, it sure ain't for the cash and glory.
Todd

BARELY GETTING BY ...on $ 50.00 PLUS an hour ? ...I would like some of that "action" ...

Re: engine assembly labor [Re: dOrk !] #1055062
08/20/11 03:12 AM
08/20/11 03:12 AM
MN
hemidup Offline
super stock
hemidup  Offline
super stock

MN
Assembling an engine is a love of God and mine. Not by how much money you make in an hour. There's days I make money. There's days I break even. There's day's I loose money, just like tonight and can't sleep over a 350 hp 340 build.

Last edited by hemidup; 08/20/11 03:13 AM.
Re: engine assembly labor [Re: hemidup] #1055063
08/20/11 07:37 AM
08/20/11 07:37 AM
Niles , Ohio
T
therocks Offline
oh wait.but hey.lets see.oh yeah.
therocks  Offline
oh wait.but hey.lets see.oh yeah.
T

Niles , Ohio
My machinist isnt getting rich.He makes a good living but he isnt rich.Doc 50 an hour sounds like big $$$$$.But there are expenses that have to be paid.The guy working at Gov Motors making 30 an hour and bennys for installing an emblem is doing better.That and when you add OT he makes more than 50 an hour.Now consider the shop owner has to pay taxes on the shop equipment SS FICA health insurance retirement property insurance and taxes etc.See how much comes out of that 50 an hour.Rocky

Chrysler Firepower
Re: engine assembly labor [Re: SomeCarGuy] #1055064
08/20/11 09:03 AM
08/20/11 09:03 AM
Delray beach, Florida
P
Performance Only Offline
top fuel
top fuel
P

Delray beach, Florida
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Depends. You were the one that was charging a ton for stuff a few years ago and got put off by others delivering quality work for much less. So I would expect your outlook to be different, based on the explosion you had then.

what in the world are you talking about? what kind of stuff and what explosion? have you been hanging around the fiberglass fumes with Doc or something?

speaking of Doc, you want some of the action for 50.00 an hour? go get some. i'm betting you have no idea of the investment it takes to equip a machine shop and keep the doors open. 500K will barely get you started with equipment, add the tooling and supplies, specialized hand tools, maintenance, rent, tangible taxes, employee payroll, (more taxes) electricity, chemicals, etc. etc. and see how that works out for you. you'll work the first 10 hours of the day just to meet expenses, if your lucky. at 50 .00 an hour you'll be out of business in a hurry.

Re: engine assembly labor [Re: Performance Only] #1055065
08/20/11 09:38 AM
08/20/11 09:38 AM
Cincinnati, Ohio
Challenger 1 Offline
Too Many Posts
Challenger 1  Offline
Too Many Posts

Cincinnati, Ohio
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

what in the world are you talking about? what kind of stuff and what explosion? have you been hanging around the fiberglass fumes with Doc or something?

speaking of Doc, you want some of the action for 50.00 an hour? go get some. i'm betting you have no idea of the investment it takes to equip a machine shop and keep the doors open. 500K will barely get you started with equipment, add the tooling and supplies, specialized hand tools, maintenance, rent, tangible taxes, employee payroll, (more taxes) electricity, chemicals, etc. etc. and see how that works out for you. you'll work the first 10 hours of the day just to meet expenses, if your lucky. at 50 .00 an hour you'll be out of business in a hurry.

50 bucks an hour is nothing, we charge $65. an hour for our labor at work and we are not getting rich.
The computer guy charges 120 an hour...

Re: engine assembly labor [Re: Performance Only] #1055066
08/20/11 09:42 AM
08/20/11 09:42 AM
Great Neck,LI,new york
hemi-itis Offline
I Live Here
hemi-itis  Offline
I Live Here

Great Neck,LI,new york
I'll add a few more things What about the time put into a job that just is never billed?You might have 10 hours on a particular job and only bill for 10.
The other thing is that @#$%^^& phone & peeps coming in the door You'll be lucky to get 4 hours outta an 10 hour day

HEMI-ITIS has no cure.
Re: engine assembly labor [Re: Performance Only] #1055067
08/20/11 11:00 AM
08/20/11 11:00 AM
Anderson, IN
1969RR Offline
super stock
1969RR  Offline
super stock

Anderson, IN

:iagree
I'll work out of my garage at home for $50.00 and hour....I own a business and have 7 employees, $50.00 an hour labor will in no way cover expenses. At $50.00 an hour, you will have all the WalMart mentality people with their "junk" beating down your doors! Then, come back complaining about everything!! I don't want that kind of work. The shop owner knows what he/she needs to make to be able to keep the doors open, so he/she will be there the next time you need them. How many times have you seen the "low ball", fly-by-nite, places come and go??? If you think shop A is too high, quit complaining, and go to shop B..he might be there the next time you need him....just my opinion. Jeff

Re: engine assembly labor [Re: 1969RR] #1055068
08/20/11 11:54 AM
08/20/11 11:54 AM
Aurora, Colorado
451Mopar Offline
master
451Mopar  Offline
master

Aurora, Colorado
Quote:

:iagree
I'll work out of my garage at home for $50.00 and hour....I own a business and have 7 employees, $50.00 an hour labor will in no way cover expenses. At $50.00 an hour, you will have all the WalMart mentality people with their "junk" beating down your doors! Then, come back complaining about everything!! I don't want that kind of work. The shop owner knows what he/she needs to make to be able to keep the doors open, so he/she will be there the next time you need them. How many times have you seen the "low ball", fly-by-nite, places come and go??? If you think shop A is too high, quit complaining, and go to shop B..he might be there the next time you need him....just my opinion. Jeff

Sorry I threw out the $50/hour rate. I was tring to say $800 to do a job that will likely take 16 hours is only $50/hour.
I think someone else quoted 10 hours at $75, but noted it can take several more hours, but most shops will stay at the quoted price and not charge the extra time or consumables used.

The interesting part is the OP is supplying "all new parts". Because they are all new, and a stroker, the parts have never been fitted, checked, clearanced, corrected, ect, so it will take longer to assemble than if it was a rebuild.

Don't get me started on how our government is unfriendly to small business. We have taxed and regulated most manufacturing jobs out of the country.

Re: engine assembly labor [Re: Performance Only] #1055069
08/20/11 11:58 AM
08/20/11 11:58 AM
Someplace you aren't
S
SomeCarGuy Offline
I Live Here
SomeCarGuy  Offline
I Live Here
S

Someplace you aren't
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

You had a full meltdown explosion on here a few years back over engine labor costs. It was pretty funny.

Re: engine assembly labor [Re: Performance Only] #1055070
08/20/11 01:30 PM
08/20/11 01:30 PM
Florida STAYcation
dOrk ! Offline
dOrk !  Offline

Florida STAYcation
Quote:

Dan .....

I would agree ...if you want to equip a machine-shop with the top-of-the-line 2012 equipment it might cost a little bit MORE than that. But who does that? ... NOT the wise business person.

The shop that I have used since I have been up-here uses old-school YESTERtech equipment that may not be as speedy as the new-stuff ... but is just a good -- it just takes a better operator.

I will bet that if all his old-school equipment sold at an auction ... it might be worth 30k$ ...and that is a stretch. There have been many auction/sales listing I have seen in the past couple of years ...and even stuff on CL ...

Sure .. you can spend 500k$ ... and you can buy a new building with 20k$ a month overhead .... but most do not do that if you want to stay-in-biz.

Re: engine assembly labor [Re: SomeCarGuy] #1055071
08/20/11 01:46 PM
08/20/11 01:46 PM
Delray beach, Florida
P
Performance Only Offline
top fuel
top fuel
P

Delray beach, Florida
[quote
You had a full meltdown explosion on here a few years back over engine labor costs. It was pretty funny.

you obviously have me mixed up with somebody else.
do a search and find it...

Re: engine assembly labor [Re: Performance Only] #1055072
08/20/11 02:54 PM
08/20/11 02:54 PM
Eighty Four, PA
B G Racing Offline
master
B G Racing  Offline
master

Eighty Four, PA
Engine assembly labor and machine shop labor are two different animals.One relys on precision machine work that sometimes take a lot of setup and check/recheck time,assembly and engine build time should be pretty much basic,checking the clearences and fit and putting everything together correctly.Based on the amont of machine work needed a estimate of cost can be established and quoted within reasonable+- dollars and the same with the assembly or build.The customer shouldn't have to pay for dead time or problem solving issues that arise.I personally would never have work done based on an hourly shop time,if someone is charging by time and materials in any industry someone is getting screwed.I can understand that if someone brings a job in that will only take a few hours then it would be appropiate to charge a flat hourly rate since it is taking you away from shop productive time.Both partys should have a clear understanding of the the cost before entering into an agreement and if something unexpected comes up discuss it and come to terms as how to proceed.Too many times when the job is done and the cost is over the agreed amont it's too late salvage a relationship and both partys feel cheated.With this economy any good customer and business relationship is important to maintain.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4