07/11/11 03:01 PM
07/11/11 03:01 PM
Mt. Eden Ky.
Hemi Allstate Offline
master
Hemi Allstate  Offline
master

Mt. Eden Ky.
as far as running a wire to each head??? does it not have 17bolts doing just that??
(alum head iron block)

I called MSD and asked about this. The response was that the coating on the bolts, or studs, along with the sealer, or moly lube used, can prevent a good ground!

1996 Ram 1500 Sport
1968 road runner
1952 Sears Allstate licensed, pump gas, Hemi 5.98 @ 115.73 1.33 60 ft. The best is yet to come. Painless Performance / Street RODDER magazine Top 100 for 2019
Re: where to mount neg bat. cable alum head hemi? [Re: Hemi Allstate] #1028552
07/11/11 09:16 PM
07/11/11 09:16 PM
Crossville,TN
526ciduster Offline
526ciduster  Offline

Crossville,TN
Quote:

as far as running a wire to each head??? does it not have 17bolts doing just that??
(alum head iron block)

I called MSD and asked about this. The response was that the coating on the bolts, or studs, along with the sealer, or moly lube used, can prevent a good ground!

BINGO !!

Also there is no way that 16ft of spot welded metal is a s good as 16ft of copper wire.

my head grounds are bolted to the exhaust studs.

Last edited by 526ciduster; 07/11/11 09:18 PM.

Outlaw 10.5 526ci, F3R procharged tfx hemi, Big Stuff 3 PTP RACING
Re: where to mount neg bat. cable alum head hemi? [Re: toplescuda] #1028553
07/11/11 09:43 PM
07/11/11 09:43 PM
Arizona
C
Chris'sBarracuda Offline
master
Chris'sBarracuda  Offline
master
C

Arizona
Quote:

ok guys the only reason i asked is cause MY heads do not have a lug or bolt hole to mount a battery cable to
I was always under the impression that alum don't make as good of ground as steel
i had to ground it on the power steer bracket wich does not look clean to me and i want to (and will) find a differnt spot to ground it
(alum head iron block)

Read this..

It helped me a bunch when I re-wired my ride..

https://www.shogunindustries.com/cgi-bin...ech/ground.html

Shogun Industries

Grounding

- RESISTANCE IN ELECTRICAL GROUNDS -

There have been many discussions and some controversy about grounding methods on race cars. Much of the discussion is the questioning of, "Why isn't the chassis good enough for grounds".

Let’s begin with some basics;
On the list of good materials for electrical conductors, silver is number one and copper is number two. Due to the expense of silver, it is seldom used for electrical conductors. Copper is the most widely used and the material of choice. Actually, silver is only slightly better than copper in the amount of electrical resistance when measured, per foot of length for the same gage of wire. Without getting extremely technical, if we compare aluminum wire to copper, the aluminum has over twice the resistance of the copper. Now most racers would not even think about using aluminum wire in their race cars but consider this. Common iron has about 7 to 8 times the resistance of the copper. Then throw in the alloys such as carbon used in chrome moly and the picture gets much worse. As an example, NICHROME wire as used in heater elements, has 60% nickel, 12% chrome and 26% iron and has 66 times more resistance than copper. Most people think that metal is metal and nickel, chrome and iron all should make good conductors but you better change the way you think, because it's not all the same.

Now look at an application like a starter motor trying to crank over an engine. If the wires used to connect the starter to the battery were, 6 gage with the starter 5 feet from the battery, you would have ten feet of wire in the circuit. Five feet to the starter and five feet back to the battery. With 6 gage wire there would be about .0041 ohms of resistance in the wire, with 200 amps of current flowing, you would measure .82 volts less at the starter, than at the battery. This says that if you had 12 volts in the battery, your starter could only receive just over 11 volts. Now lets say that you used 6 gage iron wire (chassis), you would have 7 to 8 times more resistance or voltage drop and your starter would only have from 5.44 to 6.26 volts available to crank the engine. Even though you should never consider it, the use of aluminum wire would be a much better choice than iron, the aluminum wire would get 10.36 volts to the starter.

Another way to look at it is that a 6 gage wire is .184 inches in diameter and to get an equivalent iron wire, it would have to be 1.250 to 1.500 in diameter. Now I suppose if you think your frame or chassis has a cross sectional area, uninterrupted with seams or welds, equaling this dimension, you may be okay but then remember if you have alloy's such as chrome moly, your really in trouble.

The last thing to keep in mind is that as the voltage to the starter motor or any other device drops, the amount of current to operate that device increases. The increased current not only is the main drain to the battery but is also what pre-maturely burns out these items, due to over heating. The home appliance industry just loves it when your residence gets brown outs during peak electrical hours, the low voltage of a Brown-Out quickly burns up your refrigerators.

Nice Ride..

Chris..

Re: where to mount neg bat. cable alum head hemi? [Re: Chris'sBarracuda] #1028554
07/11/11 11:34 PM
07/11/11 11:34 PM
gulfport, ms, west mi
rowin4 Offline
master
rowin4  Offline
master

gulfport, ms, west mi
I have never heard the term static loop used for the grounding on a car. I do know that running a #2 copper wire ground to the motor deffenatlly made a difference in in starting. Now should I unbolt the ground that I have to the frame in the trunk?

it's ok to butt heads, just don't do it with a butthead
Re: where to mount neg bat. cable alum head hemi? [Re: rowin4] #1028555
07/12/11 09:23 AM
07/12/11 09:23 AM
at large
M
moparphillie Offline
top fuel
moparphillie  Offline
top fuel
M

at large
Good morning Rowin4

When you say that adding a #2 copper wire GROUND to the engine definitely helped, where did you attach the other end of the copper ground wire? Also what condition did it help ? Were you experiencing starter heat soak or some other starting issue ?

Thanks...

Re: where to mount neg bat. cable alum head hemi? [Re: rowin4] #1028556
07/12/11 02:12 PM
07/12/11 02:12 PM
Crossville,TN
526ciduster Offline
526ciduster  Offline

Crossville,TN
Quote:

I have never heard the term static loop used for the grounding on a car. I do know that running a #2 copper wire ground to the motor deffenatlly made a difference in in starting. Now should I unbolt the ground that I have to the frame in the trunk?

if your not having problems and the car runs fine without any electrical issues leave it alone. Do you have any data logging it will show up in your logs without noticing it in the car during a run. Now if you have a wire run to front why would you need the ground at rear? Just a place to cause a problem.

Outlaw 10.5 526ci, F3R procharged tfx hemi, Big Stuff 3 PTP RACING
Re: where to mount neg bat. cable alum head hemi? [Re: moparphillie] #1028557
07/16/11 12:50 AM
07/16/11 12:50 AM
gulfport, ms, west mi
rowin4 Offline
master
rowin4  Offline
master

gulfport, ms, west mi
Quote:

Good morning Rowin4

When you say that adding a #2 copper wire GROUND to the engine definitely helped, where did you attach the other end of the copper ground wire? Also what condition did it help ? Were you experiencing starter heat soak or some other starting issue ?

Thanks...

I have two batteries mounted in the trunk, both grounds are bolted to 1 stud welded to the back half frame next to the batteries. The cable going to the front is also fastened to that stud. The starter was dragging probably because of the grounding condition that I was not aware of. no other noticeable electronic/ electrical problems. The ground wire now bolts to rear intake bolt, I had it on the starter bolt but that was a pain to work with. Electrical ground for the rest of the car comes off the intake valley pan bolt to inside of the car to a terminal bar for each accessary , lights , pumps, gauges etc. And a big THANKS to Chris for the article, I'm sure it will help out many racers

Last edited by rowin4; 07/16/11 12:53 AM.

it's ok to butt heads, just don't do it with a butthead
Page 2 of 2 1 2