07/08/11 03:59 PM
07/08/11 03:59 PM
A Banana Republic near you.
JohnRR Offline
I Win
JohnRR  Offline
I Win

Is it a cheapy thermostat or a hi flow ? Get a Hi flow and switch it out to at the MAX a 180. If you are going to run without one you need to put a restrictor in it's place otherwise you aren't really doing anything because the water will not be properly doing it's job.

Re: Help me cool down my 383 roadrunner! [Re: JohnRR] #1026767
07/08/11 06:35 PM
07/08/11 06:35 PM
San Jose, California
D
DennisH Offline
Vacation
DennisH  Offline
Vacation
D

San Jose, California
I have had no problem with a 180 Superstat from Napa, green coolant 50/50. Thermal fan from Ma Mopar. I too confirm the numbers with an infrared digital.

Re: Help me cool down my 383 roadrunner! [Re: DennisH ] #1026768
07/08/11 07:56 PM
07/08/11 07:56 PM
St. Louis
I
Imrare Offline OP
enthusiast
Imrare  Offline OP
enthusiast
I

St. Louis
Sounds like a good idea to remove the thermostat and see if I'm getting flow. If I am, go from there, if I'm not...that's bad news. Guess the place to start would be the water pump.

JohnRR, what brand name or number would I look for to find a "hiflow" thermostat?

MoparMike, what method did you use to "backflush" your block? I've read the service manual and they perscribe a special tool to be inserted into the lower coolant outlet on the engine. Sounds effective but I'm not sure what that tool must look like and if there is a simpler way that is just as effective?

Thanks.

Re: Help me cool down my 383 roadrunner! [Re: Imrare] #1026769
07/08/11 08:08 PM
07/08/11 08:08 PM
San Jose, California
D
DennisH Offline
Vacation
DennisH  Offline
Vacation
D

San Jose, California
High flow this, big volume that. They ran right when new. Fans, drilling holes etc is jusk masking something else. The old recipe still works. Thermal. Green. Copper.

Re: Help me cool down my 383 roadrunner! [Re: DennisH ] #1026770
07/09/11 12:34 AM
07/09/11 12:34 AM
montreal, quebec,canada
7e5dartsport Offline
7e5dartsport  Offline

montreal, quebec,canada
i used to have a overheating problem with my 340. a 160 degree HI-FLOW thermostat plus water-wetter solved my problem. use a mr.gasket thermostat no. 4366 for your big-block, it will help cooling tremendously and coolant will flow through the rad. the coolant additive(waterwetter) should be available through napa or carquest. if you still need to flush the coolant system, any competent repair station should have the machine to do it. im a mechanic and most garages i worked at had the machine. have it done, its not that expensive, neither are the t-stat or the additive.

fully legal sounds the same as full illegal...
Re: Help me cool down my 383 roadrunner! [Re: Imrare] #1026771
07/09/11 01:15 AM
07/09/11 01:15 AM
IN
A
ahy Offline
master
ahy  Offline
master
A

IN
Quote:

Sounds like a good idea to remove the thermostat and see if I'm getting flow. If I am, go from there, if I'm not...that's bad news. Guess the place to start would be the water pump.

JohnRR, what brand name or number would I look for to find a "hiflow" thermostat?

MoparMike, what method did you use to "backflush" your block? I've read the service manual and they perscribe a special tool to be inserted into the lower coolant outlet on the engine. Sounds effective but I'm not sure what that tool must look like and if there is a simpler way that is just as effective?

Thanks.

For the thermostat, I'd suggest a NAPA premium 180 degree unit. As posted above, changing the T stat is an inexpensive diagnostic and may solve the problem. It may be a WP problem. You can pull and inspect the WP. If the blades are rotted off you found it... but I doubt that will be the case. I've had good results with the MP high volume pump (aluminum).

The other ting to check is the tunup. In sufficient ignition advance at idle or a lean mixture can make it run hot.

Another thing to check/eliminate is the fan clutch. A weak clutch culd cause the high temps. Does the fan appear to be pulling a lot of air when hot? Is the bearing pretty tight? The best diagnostic is to replace the clutch with a known good unit.

Re: Help me cool down my 383 roadrunner! [Re: ahy] #1026772
07/09/11 02:13 AM
07/09/11 02:13 AM
Adelaide Australia
P
peter Offline
peter  Offline
P

Adelaide Australia
I WOULD CHECK THE BOTTOM HOSE WHEN IT STARTS TO OVER HEAT
THE HOTTER THEY GET THE SOFTER THEY BECOME
ALSO I PURCHASE A WATER PUMP HOUSING FROM 440 SORCE SOMETIME AGO
THAT GAVE ME PROBLEMS AND FOUND IT WAS OF POOR DESIGN AND
RESTRICTED FLOW.

Re: Help me cool down my 383 roadrunner! [Re: DennisH ] #1026773
07/09/11 02:57 AM
07/09/11 02:57 AM
State of Fascism
52savoy Offline
master
52savoy  Offline
master

State of Fascism
Quote:

High flow this, big volume that. They ran right when new. Fans, drilling holes etc is jusk masking something else. The old recipe still works. Thermal. Green. Copper.

Really? He asked for ideas and your the MOPARTS resident "answer man"?

As far as drilling head gaskets. I don't know how old you are but at one time head gaskets HAD BIGGER coolant holes. I run 12 1/2 compression with a 160 t-stat, stock 22" max wedge radiator, alum housing and 6 vane alum pump plus..drilled gaskets on my Max Wedge. I can lay my hand on the engine block by the distributor or at the radiator and not get burnt. And that's after letting it run for an half hour.
Can you do that on your motor?

and they didn't run all that cool new. They were marginal at best. I got second degree burns from a radiator cap blowing off in my face on a 20,000 mile mopar way back when.
My own thoughts are from HIS description, it's a partially clogged radiator.

Re: Help me cool down my 383 roadrunner! [Re: 52savoy] #1026774
07/09/11 08:13 AM
07/09/11 08:13 AM
San Jose, California
D
DennisH Offline
Vacation
DennisH  Offline
Vacation
D

San Jose, California
Quote:

Quote:

Really? He asked for ideas and your the MOPARTS resident "answer man"?

As far as drilling head gaskets. I don't know how old you are but at one time head gaskets HAD BIGGER coolant holes. I run 12 1/2 compression with a 160 t-stat, stock 22" max wedge radiator, alum housing and 6 vane alum pump plus..drilled gaskets on my Max Wedge. I can lay my hand on the engine block by the distributor or at the radiator and not get burnt. And that's after letting it run for an half hour.
Can you do that on your motor?

and they didn't run all that cool new. They were marginal at best. I got second degree burns from a radiator cap blowing off in my face on a 20,000 mile mopar way back when.
My own thoughts are from HIS description, it's a partially clogged radiator.

If the radiator is clogged, then he does not need high flow anything. The hole drilling is the voodo drilling of the thermostat that comes up here on occasion. My 440 runs 170 all day long. All stock cooling except coated TTI's to keep underhood temps down. That's at 5000 feet in Reno Parade traffic with a sea-level set up. And that's you're not your. I think the popcorn is burned too.
Answer man AKA Still a Wuss.

Re: Help me cool down my 383 roadrunner! [Re: DennisH ] #1026775
07/09/11 11:48 AM
07/09/11 11:48 AM
Irving, TX
feets Offline
Senior Management
feets  Offline
Senior Management

Irving, TX
Enough bickering. You're not helping the guy fix his car.

There should be a temperature drop of at least 30 degrees across the radiator.

Go get one of these: http://www.harborfreight.com/non-contact-laser-thermometer-96451.html

They're dirt cheap and good for finding temperature differences.

After the engine is up to temperature get heat readings off the radiator by the hoses. Just for grins, shoot different parts of the radiator core too.
My old radiator had really cold spots in the middle. Many of the passages were blocked and not flowing water.
If you don't have that issue and the temps decrease moving from the upper hose to the lower hose then start checking the engine. Hit the temperature sensor and other parts of the block.
If the water pump housing is hot enough to open the thermostat but the hose just above the stat is a lot cooler the stat isn't working correctly.

We are brothers and sisters doing time on the planet for better or worse. I'll take the better, if you don't mind.
- Stu Harmon
Re: Help me cool down my 383 roadrunner! [Re: feets] #1026776
07/09/11 11:51 AM
07/09/11 11:51 AM
JohnRR Offline
I Win
JohnRR  Offline
I Win

Quote:

Enough bickering. You're not helping the guy fix his car.

But this is Moparts , that's how things work around here ...

Re: Help me cool down my 383 roadrunner! [Re: JohnRR] #1026777
07/09/11 04:01 PM
07/09/11 04:01 PM
east side of Ohio
basketcase Offline
master
basketcase  Offline
master

east side of Ohio
and put a manual temp gauge in. the factory water and oil gauges aren't that accurate, espacially after 40 years.

Dave

1981 Dodge D150 360 auto
Re: Help me cool down my 383 roadrunner! [Re: basketcase] #1026778
07/09/11 06:15 PM
07/09/11 06:15 PM
Eastern shore, New England
R
roadrunner69s Offline
pro stock
roadrunner69s  Offline
pro stock
R

Eastern shore, New England
You mentioned an occasional pinging so more initial timing advance could help that and the overheating. On my old GTX I ran with as much initial advance as I could. When I mixed 104 octane with 93 for a mix of about 96-98, that helped as well in allowing it to run cooler. I suspect the compression ratio was a tad over stock.

Since you're using a direct fan drive with spacer a clutch problem is not the issue. Is this a 2 or 3 core radiator? Has it been painted multiple times? Yeah, once the t-stat opens you should see swirling fluid and bubbles at the top of your core.

But it sounds like a heat gun should identify the hot and cold spots in your radiator or engine. It doesn't take a whole lot of chemicals plating out to get some buildup in those radiator passages.

RR69s

Re: Help me cool down my 383 roadrunner! [Re: roadrunner69s] #1026779
07/09/11 07:28 PM
07/09/11 07:28 PM
Cincinnati, Ohio
S
superbeedave Offline
mopar
superbeedave  Offline
mopar
S

Cincinnati, Ohio
I am pretty much having the same problem as you on my 69 Bee after putting in a new 4 core 22" radiator with shroud. Today in 89 degree temp. it stayed cool on the highway but sitting in traffic for 5-10 mins. it shot up to close to the 230 mark on my gauge.The engine was rebuilt 2 years ago and everything went back on the engine. Same water pump etc... I am convinced after pulling radiators out the past 2 years as I had a 26" in for awhile that when I pulled it out there was always rusty water laying in the radiator where the holes hook up.
The block was cleaned but I think that sitting around in his 100 year old damp building that rust accumalated in the block and it corroded.
I am going to figure out how to do a back flush or some kind of flushing that will push the corrosion in the block out thru the radiator. We might have the same problem! I really don't want to take it to a garage to have this done unless I have a friend that owns a garage and knowing he would be careful enough and not mess up detailed engine compartment. Good luck!

Re: Help me cool down my 383 roadrunner! [Re: superbeedave] #1026780
07/09/11 10:51 PM
07/09/11 10:51 PM
Missouri, U.S.A.
J
JSSuperbee Offline
enthusiast
JSSuperbee  Offline
enthusiast
J

Missouri, U.S.A.
I too have the very same identical problem with my '69 383 Bee. The engine was rebuilt 3 years ago. It too gets so hot under the hood that I melted the styrofoam seal around the steering column. I read in
the April issue of "Hemmings Muscle Machines" ask Ray: I guy wrote in to Ray with the same problem I'm having. Only overheats at idle or when I stop. Ray said: If you can suck a paper towell to the grille at idle, the fan is more than sufficient. I beleive the water pump is turning too slow, or the pump you have is designed for high RPM, and the impeller works inefficiently at low speeds. Ray went on to say here is how you test it. Raise the engine speed to about 2000 RPM when the temperature spike occurs and hold it there for a minute or 2.
If the gauge starts to drop then there is most likely a flow problem, not an air movement issue.
I have'nt tried this yet but am going to shortly. Try this and let me and everyone here know if it works.

Jim from South St.Louis

James Stinebaker
Re: Help me cool down my 383 roadrunner! [Re: JSSuperbee] #1026781
07/10/11 12:06 AM
07/10/11 12:06 AM
Cincinnati, Ohio
S
superbeedave Offline
mopar
superbeedave  Offline
mopar
S

Cincinnati, Ohio
I know I'm having cooling problems also but to melt the styrofoam sounds to me like the manifolds/headers are getting way too hot. And to me that would not be a cooling problem but a cylinder problem. Like
when your header pipe at certain cylinders turn cherry red! I have herd about it and only seen it once! And yes it could be a flow problem if there is any restriction in the cooling passages in the block, heads or radiator. That is if the water pump is the correct one to be using! Also a quote from the 69 shop manual in the cooling section is if you are running a steel 7 blade fan that the distance from the blades to the radiator should be between 3/4" to 1-1/4". Providing you do not have the cluch fan assembly! Doesn't say anything about how far in the fan should be in the shroud. I say the fan should be in at least half way or a little more. I need to get mine in at least a 1/2" more. I had it working okay with the 26" but I wanted to go back to factory 22" and went with a four core. It all doesn't mean sh-t! as long as the coolant isn't flowing well enough and not enough air flow thru radiator at idle! God Help Me!!

Re: Help me cool down my 383 roadrunner! [Re: Imrare] #1026782
07/10/11 05:29 PM
07/10/11 05:29 PM
Ontario.Canada
C
can.al Offline
pro stock
can.al  Offline
pro stock
C

Ontario.Canada
..what are the widths of your crank and water pump pulleys?
.. a little more fan speed at idle might help.

Re: Help me cool down my 383 roadrunner! [Re: Imrare] #1026783
07/11/11 09:48 AM
07/11/11 09:48 AM
Nashville, TN
M
MOPARMIKE69 Offline
master
MOPARMIKE69  Offline
master
M

Nashville, TN
Quote:

Thanks.

You can get a tee that hooks to a garden hose from the auto parts store. Then install it on your return heater hose. Unhook your lower rad hose and turn on the water.
I have heard that Thermostat helps the water stay in the radiator. That makes no sense. I have been removing thermostats for years. They are there to keep the temp warm not cooler. Been doing it for 40 years.
And to the guy who says they worked from the factory that is crap. I can't tell you how many Plymouth and Dodges I have owned and worked on that had cooling problems. Many times we just trashed the 22" and put in a 26". There were more that had over heating problems than stayed cool. That's a fact!

69 Road Runner vert
69 GTX hard top
70 Road Runner 4 speed
70 Hemi Cuda vert
Re: Help me cool down my 383 roadrunner! [Re: MOPARMIKE69] #1026784
07/11/11 09:59 AM
07/11/11 09:59 AM
JohnRR Offline
I Win
JohnRR  Offline
I Win

Quote:

Quote:

Thanks.

You can get a tee that hooks to a garden hose from the auto parts store. Then install it on your return heater hose. Unhook your lower rad hose and turn on the water.
I have heard that Thermostat helps the water stay in the radiator. That makes no sense. I have been removing thermostats for years. They are there to keep the temp warm not cooler. Been doing it for 40 years.
And to the guy who says they worked from the factory that is crap. I can't tell you how many Plymouth and Dodges I have owned and worked on that had cooling problems. Many times we just trashed the 22" and put in a 26". There were more that had over heating problems than stayed cool. That's a fact!

Seems like you know more than the factory engineers, if you aren't the CEO of a car manufacturer you are truly selling yourself short.

Re: Help me cool down my 383 roadrunner! [Re: Imrare] #1026785
07/11/11 10:23 AM
07/11/11 10:23 AM
South-Central (Sebring), FL
Commando1 Offline
master
Commando1  Offline
master

South-Central (Sebring), FL
I don't bother to waste my time.
I always go to the radiator first.
Saves a lot of head banging later....
People are just too lazy/cheap to accept the truth.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3