Hemicar71 -

I gather from your reply that I may have inadvertanly pegged someone's actual A12 car's VIN? If so it was inadvertant, although I thought I'd get close to a real one.

The example was however a cetain arbitrary amount of numbers from the car We own. Also the Order # I listed has a like amount altered from the car we own. I kinda wanted to see if I did hit an actual A12 VIN if the order number I guessed at would be correct. (Just a test of my theory.)

I have seen real A12 cars that have VIN's in the range you describe. Along with some in the 26xxxx range. All Cool Cars in my opinion.

Pretty interesting stuff.

Just to let you know, I'm well aware of the myriad of inspection marks/punches inspection marks etc. that were used and still are in use in the Assembly Plants. Having been on both sides of the fence, working as an Assembly Worker and in Management, I have personally worked on and and helped structure job operations on an assembly line in an Assembly Plant. I can say first hand that the myriad of differences in paint marks, inspection marks etc. are a result of several factors, ranging from parts substitution to keep the line running, to absenteeinsm with the normal worker not being on the job, to just "letting it go" without doing their job. Also included in this are mechanical problems with assembly tools, Engineering Changes that alter the build process during the model year to a host of other issues.
What I do know is that there are prescribed Engineering Assembly Documents that detail the build and location of assembly marks etc. Unfortunately they are not always followed for various reasons. Not a knock on the Workers, cause most everyone I've had the pleasure to work with are "Good People" and have done "Outstanding Work" Just a statement of what I have personally observed throughout my career.

Heck, When I was working on the Line, I sometimes Signed the roof of the cars that got a vinyl top, kinda like an "Artist" singing a painting. I did this so whoever found it some day would know I helped build the car. (I bet if the car is ever restored they'll be wondering if I was an Inspector or some "Big Shot" or something. ... LOL)

Another thing that is factual is this, the Global Market has driven the Big 3 in the USA to alter their stance on Quality. This became a matter of Survival to them throught th 80's to current date. So "Yes" the plain fact is that the Musclecars we so dearly cherish weren't assembled with an "Eye on Quality" as the vehicles produced today are. So we see more "Variation" in build on the old cars than those produced today. This in essence makes the task of Restoring a Musclecar such a "Unique Challenge". Best advice I could give to anyone restoring one, is during disassembly Document Everything with photos, tracing etc. and duplicate it during your restoration. Unless you know for certain that the assembly plant did it "This Way" if your car didn't show it that way then don't alter it to the "Accepted Norm".

Just my opinion on that.

Anyway I hope that I have something to offer within this Forum and as always, I know that my opinions may not be the same as everyone's, but I respect everyone's input to my comments/opinions either pro or con.

What I'd like to see is more Hard Data surface relative to Engineering Documents, Plant Assembly Documents etc. that would help us in our quest for knowledge on these cars. I'm sure someone out there either has that info or has access to it.

Have a Good One,

Bogusracer

Last edited by JohnRR; 01/21/04 07:56 AM.