Quote:

Cut the pickup screen apart & it was full of debris... New screen for that job was around $7.00..... Since then I don't take a chance, but I often throw the screen in with the parts going to the hot tank & I'll cut it open after tanking to see how clean it really got.... I haven't ever thought gee, I shoulda saved the cost of a new screen...

Once again ya gotta love the difference in anecdotal experiences. In my first reply I stated "On hard to find pickups I always throw them in the hot tank with the block.." My experience comes from the days when new was not as readily available as now, if new was available I wouldn't waste the time trying to clean one.

To qualify my experiences, I knew my local shop cleaned their hot tank on the first work day of every month, so I always waited until then to take my parts in. The outside of the pickup would look really clean when it came out of the tank; I would then take the pickup and lay it flat on the table of my belt sander and sand through the crimped edge all around to separate the baffle/screen from the pickup.

I never found one that was "full of debris", mostly a powdery soft carbon ridge in the area here the original crimp was...wiped away real easy. I would then weld the baffle/screen back to the pickup..looked like crap but who's gonna see it.

Again, if new is readily available I'd always go that way.

The INTERNET, the MISinformation superhighway