My 68 Charger 383 HP engine is becoming fickle. First it appears to completely dislike the premium grade ethanol based fuel I use. Once it reaches operating temp it has a hard time re-starting. I blocked the intake manifold cross over (left exhaust manifold exhaust air to the right side of the manifold for the old bimetallic choke) passage hoping it would not cause the fuel to boil/evaporate out of the carb after sitting for several minutes to almost an hour. I replaced the fuel pump and filter with no luck and cleaned out the fuel line from the tank to the filter. The car cruises down the road with no issues at cruising speed (40 mph and up)and responds well when I hit the throttle. But when I cruise at low speeds, 20 mph or less, or sit idling for several minutes and the water temp starts to climb the car responds poorly. It spits and sputters and acts like it's starving for fuel. Could it be just the ethanol based fuel, could it be a bad rubber fuel line at the tank sending unit collapsing, could it be water in the fuel? It has a new Edelbrock 750 cfm carb up top of a stock cast iron manifold. I will be putting in some fuel treatment for water but after that I am at a loss...... Any help is appreciated.
mikeymopar68 AT aol DOT com