Quote:

So I scored a complete but crusty '41 Dodge pickup minus the bed.
I was curious about swapping an LA engine into the original frame.
But I was also curious about how I could improve the brakes. Are these the hard to service press fit brake drums that I keep hearing about?? Is their another brake setup that I can adapt to it? even if they are drums?? Possibly newer brakes can be swapped to the rear axle??

Clipping it is probably the best option but I'd rather do it more traditional style.

What are the rears usually geared? 4.10?

Also, could you get an underdash radio in a '41? I swear this one has one.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

The frames on these trucks were strong. Adapting a LA small block into this truck would not be any harder then swapping one into any 30s era car. Expect to make motor mounts and a transmission mount. Be sure your mounts are attached to both the upper and lower frame flanges, not just one flange, and everything should be fine.

The rear brake drums (if original) will be the pressed on to the axle drums. It can be identified by seeing a nut at the center of the drum. Nearly any rear axle from 66 on will fit with a relocation of the spring perches. A 66-70 B body should be close to the same width, but measure your axle first. Your original rear axle should have a 4:10 or maybe even a higher number gear, I'd swap the whole axle before I'd attempt to upgrade what you have.

www.rustyhope.com has a disc brake conversion for your truck front brakes. If you want to stay with drum brakes, Dodge used drum brakes on a beam front axle through the 71 model year. I suspect one could adapt the modern drum brakes from one of the "newer" trucks (65-71) onto your axle.

I have no clue about the radio, but the old radios (40s & 50s) all used tubes and were huge, about a 6" x 6" square and about 12" long. They could not be mistaken for anything more modern. Gene