Quote:

Thanks, I am pretty sure that the TO bearing is not resting up against the fingers. The freeplay measured at the pedal is about an inch.

My thought is that the disk or flywheel is not the correct thickness...or possibly the TO bearing is not the correct one. Any thoughts on that?

Does anybody know off hand what the correct thickness for the disk and flywheel? I guess I can call the manufacturer.

Couple thoughts:
Flywheel thickness is not an issue here--The amount of pressure the pressure plate will exert in the 'relaxed' position will be the same if the plate is 1/4" or a mile thick.

The disc thickness will affect pressure--but its not likely, unless you have a seriously miss-matched disc and pressure plate.

TO bearing wrong?? All it does it actuate the fingers, if its too "long" then you risk it always being in contact with the fingers, and you dont think thats the case. If its too short, then you would have a lot of free play, but engagement would be farther to the floor, and the pressure plate would still be exerting its max force on the disc.

Could you have a defective pressure plate? A contaminated (oil) disc?
Glazed disc?
Could the pressure plate itself be binding up--I would watch its action as a helper engages and dis-engages the clutch.