Quote:

I installed a Hughes cam 2 months ago. 15W40 Valvoline Premium Blue heavy duty diesel (dino) oil with Redline zinc additive. After break in I drained and put the same oil and zinc additive back in with a new filter. Everything is just fine.

I don't want to jinx you, but 2 months ago in the winter probably means you don't have enough miles on your fresh build to know if the cam is safe or not. I hope you are right!

I broke my last one in a few years ago, after the zinc was gone from the oil. I used the diesel oil with moly paste on the cam lobes and bottom of the lifters. Straight oil on the sides of the lifters. And I was able to use my old wimpy valve springs to break in the new cam (check for coil bind before you try this!). I hated to have to go back in and swap the springs, but in reality, it's much less work/time/money than pulling the engine and starting over after the cam wipes.

Scott B. "I'm a self-made man... I started with nothing, and I still have most of it!" 68 360 rusty B'cuda 'vert (GO Fish)13.59@ 98.72 mph 69 340 GTS stock 14.18@ 95.60 mph 01 5.9L Ram 1500 Quad Cab 4x4 01 3.5L 300M 16.23@ 86.97 mph