Well, be glad you don't live in California. If they caught you, they would fine you around $10,000, confiscate all your spray equiptment and make you eat lunch with Al Gore.

Are you using an HVLP gun or a traditional gun? HVLP's put a little ess material in the air. Follow the set-up directions in the preceeding posts. Make sure you have plenty of clean DRY air)If you are using a solid color without any metalic, you can always wet sand out your mistakes.

Measure your paint carefully while mixing, make sure you have the correct temprature reducer, you can warm your material to the recommended tempreture(set it out in the sun, set it in some warm water, etc) and it makes a big difference. Don't watch the spray fan as much as you watch how the paint is landing on the car surface. Keep the angle of the spray gun consistent, don't change the angel as you go from one end of your reach to the other. Think of your spray pattern before you actually spray and practice it a half dozen times in all your gear BEFORE you put on any paint. Blow the car off with air at least a dozen times prior to painting it. Use a tack cloth.

Good luck. I sprayed a car in my driveway once. The minute I finished spraying, a small dust devil cam down my street, made a 90 degree turn towards me and went right over my car, the vacumn inside the mini-tornado was broken by the car and every thing it had picked up while spinning through the nieghborhood dropped right on top of my fresh paint. It was simply unbelievable but true. It was a plum Crazy 1970 'Cuda, the fastest car I had ever owned at that point. I buried the factory Ralley speedo in it once. What is that about 160 plus mph? All that dust in the paint probably assisted with the areodynamics by breaking up the laminar flow of the air over the car....lol. It wasn't until I got a motorcycle that I finally broke that personal land speed record.