Glad to see I'm not the only person with this problem. When I bought my 69 Charger back in 1988, it was my daily driver. I guess around 1990 I started to have the headlight problem. No internet back then, so I was pretty much own my own... And I wasn't, and still am not a mechanic.

First thing I did back then was changed the dimmer switch. Still did it. Went to the dealer and bought a NEW dimmer switch... Yep, still did it. Back then, (early 90s) you could go to just about any junkyard around here and find 2nd generation Chargers with many parts still intact. I would buy every headlight switch or whole gauge cluster I could get my hands on. I became a pro at changing headlight switches. All the switches did the same thing. Some might have lasted a little longer than others. I remember, I used to drive around with the vent window open to try to keep the headlight switch cool. But hey, it worked!

The plug for the headlight switch on the harness was badly distorted from heat. So at one point, I cut one out of another harness and had my local mechanic splice it into my harness. (I know, I know. ) However, this repair lasted the longest. Back around 94 the headlight problem was back and worse than before. At that point, I stopped driving it at night. The car got used less and less while I got other Mopars and enjoyed them without headlight problems. Got a house, got married, had a kid and the Charger sat for about 13 years. Just got it out and on the road again in 2010 and I'm enjoying driving it... As long as it is light out.

Since I got it on the road, I have posted a question on here about the headlights. I went through all the connectors on the headlight harness and made sure everything looked good and clean. Still has the same problem. Recently, I got caught in the dark, three miles from my house and the headlights started flashing before I could get home.

I'd LOVE to get this problem solved. I will keep an eye on this topic. The relay thing looks interesting. However, like I said, I'm not a mechanic. While I do work on these cars, I absolutely HATE doing anything electrical other than changing switches and harnesses. Maybe I can show this relay information to my buddy that does my "more involved stuff" and I can finally drive my Charger at night.