Pinks was "reality tv" for a very small genre and viewing audience (by percentage of all televison offered to view); but, as the speed channel said it was one of their most watched shows.

I know the owner of Milan Dragway, and he would like to hold a Pinks every month. It's not everyday you get 30,000 people at your track.

Whether you like the host, or not, at least someone was trying to create reality entertainment with drag racing as the theme the show was built around. All the "drama and hype", take for whatever you want.

I studied television production and worked on some shows. The original Pinks was a great show, until it started turning kind of Jerry Springer. By this I mean phoney, giving cars back, etc.
Rich turned an idea, into another, and another, and eventually the "All Out" version. This was high dollar entertainment.

I finally made it to the last Norwalk show and crew chief for a buddy. I had the opportunity to observe the behind the scene prep and production. Rich was no longer following the rules of the show, but rather making televison the way HE wanted to see it.

I would have loved to be involved in the production of that show, trying to keep it real though, and involving perhaps 3 levels of cars represented at the show, not just the mainstream that was self created by the participants who slowed their cars down to the perceived field to be chosen. I know many cars were not really running all out. The Norwalk show seen in person made this very evident to me. That 632 ci Chevelle that made it to the finals was a first class sandbagger. That car was much faster than he was running it. When he broke ($10,000 hose clamp), it was Rich who solely made the decision to give time to fix that car. These were supposed to be hotlaps to the final win. The woman with the Pacer became a fan favorite early. She was truly running all out; a very competent driver.

I could pick it apart more, but it was just a "reality tv" show. Does it really matter?

Too many cars, too many parts, too little coin, too little space to work in, too little time left to make it all happen! Update: down to one ride, still too many parts, a little more jingle in the pocket, gaining space, and it's going to happen this year!