I've ran 484 and 509 cams in all sorts of cars personally, and most of my buddies have too. I've had over a dozen cars I put the cams in myself...

Did you degree your cams or just install them stright up on the timing gears? (What timing gears? )

My buddy had the worst gearing IMO, he had 2.76 gears with 29" tall tires, it was a 63 Dodge that was known locally as "The Lobster". It ran 11.63 at 118mph at Ashcroft on a small powershot kit, he just barely got out of second gear. I have it on tape somewhere, the whole stands starts to laugh when the car's numbers came up on the board, they knew what was in the car.

My wife's Cordoba was a 484 with a STOCK torque converter, she drove it every day. She could fry the tires at will.
Most of my cars were steeper geared but taller tired, however I did run highway gears on a few of them, no problems. I ported the heads myself, degreed the cams myself, built the engines myself, and never had any issues with any of the cams. I've never seen any of my local Mopar buddies ever "complain" about the cams the way they are complained about in this thread, I'll have to show them this. We all had good bottom end power and all had good vacuum, the vast majority of the cars had power brakes too. Small pot reservoir power brakes to boot.

A 1973 Charger was an 8.2 to 1 engine on PAPER, did you ever figure out the true compression ratio on what you were running? I'm willing to bet it wasn't what you thought! A 509 cam and a sub 8 to 1 compression engine that's not in great shape aren't exactly a "recipe for success" if ya know what I mean?
Combine that combo with highway gears and a heavy car and for SURE the car SHOULD be a "dog", IMO anyways..?

CrAzYMoPaRGuY