The heat range of the plug is an indicator of how quickly the plug cools off between firings. A colder heat range will cool off quicker than a hotter range.

You want to run as hot a plug as the engine can stand, this ensures that deposits get burnt off so the engine will run well for a long time. To hot a plug and it can cause detonation and the tips will erode away faster.

The stock heat range is just fine, one heat range cooler will not make a difference if the engine was running well with the stock range.

The 3923 mentioned above is one heat range cooler, a 3924 is stock. These plugs have a 5/8" hex for the socket (but are the same other wise) instead of the 13/16" of the 64 or 65. The 5/8" hex makes it easier getting the plug past header tubes, the 3924 plug is what comes stock in 3.9/5.2/5.9 liter magnum engines.

I typically use Autolites simply because the local Walmart has them and it saves me a few miles of driving to a parts store to get something else. I would avoid the gimik plugs like E3 and Splitfires, once the voltage potential builds up enough to jump a spark you only get one regardless of how many or the configuration of the ground electrode.

The platinum and an iridium plugs last longer than a conventional plug and that is why they exist, not to make more power or increase mileage. They were developed so the manufacturers could extend plug changes to 100,000 miles.

Dave Clement Pembroke, MA 03 PT Cruiser GT Turbo 99 Dakota SLT+ CC 4x4 68 Barracuda sport coupe http://home.comcast.net/~dgc333/