Quote:

Quote:

So i got my 440 dynoed, its a fairley stock build, 915's port and polished, stock bore, holley intake, headers, dui ignition, 750 holley, 3:55's sure grip, 2500 stall. Engine put out 387hp 420ft lbs torque. The cam is my question. I used a Comp 280H Magnum. I'm wondering if ii should have went with a Extreme energy with a little more lift. I really wanted to break 400hp at least. Any suggestions?

I'm always curious on the desire to achieve a hp number on a dyno. If the dyno operator twisted a knob on the dyno and it spit out a 401 peak hp, would you be happy? Would you rather have a 13.20 et time slip and a 401 hp dyno sheet over a 12.50 et time slip and a 387 dyno sheet? Dynos and flow benches are tools. They don't tell you if your car is fast, or faster than anyone else, or fast enough.

Sure, you can put a faster rate lobe camshaft in your engine and pick up some average power, maybe peak too. But instead, consider going to the track and tuning, adjusting and making changes that make the car faster. If you do this, you'll probably end up with the fastest, 387 hp car at the track (within reasonable weight limits), and will likely be faster than some guys that have a 400 hp dyno sheet. I see this happen frequently. Finally, if you do this, then you can change your cam with a meaningful goal like wanting to put .2 and 2 mph in the car.

I do agree with that. Just today I was asked why I have never put my car on a dyno ? I know what my car runs and I dont care if it does it with 500 flywheel hp or 450 hp. Plus I grew up in the 60's and 70's when there was no dyno's around that the local racers had use to. We just did the old race track dyno..........if you make a change and it goes faster leave it on. I would do as suggested and put it together and drive it so you can see how it runs in the car. Good luck , Ron