Quote:

Anyone know when the Mopar cars switched from leaf springs to trailing arm rear suspension? I took some pictures of an older Grand National (maybe a Winston Cup) car this week and it still had leaf springs in it. The car is probably from the late 60's or early 70's.

K frame car with torsion bars, Mopar power steering, etc. Obviously a factory frame car but heavily modified. The drive side torsion bar had a jack on it that could be adjusted by the driver to change the preload. Production lower control arms, drum brakes, tubular upper control arms, spline type anti-sway bar, etc. Pretty cool stuff to look at but the rear leaf springs surprised me. I just thought everyone had gone with the pickup truck type suspension back in the 60's.

I really don't think any Mopar GN cars ran trailing arms. Even the last Arrington cars. I'd ask Aero426 (Doug Schleinger)

The 1974 Petty Catalog shows leafs and T-bars. His last Charger in 1976 had leafs. The Petty Magnum had leafs.

In Stock Car Racing It said he ran 8 3/4 rear ends adapted to the Chevy Monte Carlos truck arm cars he ran after he stopped running the Dodge Magnums. Just to use up the 100's of gearsets and parts he had on hand.