I finally was able to get my buddy over to help adjust it. He did the exact thing I was told here. He moved the mixture screws and backed them out 2 turns. It ran for awhile and we got the idle about right 800-850. That curb idle screw was shorter than the one from another TQ. So I actually swapped it with one from a Holley 1920 1BBL which was the same length as the other TQ. I wasn't able to keep the screw from the other TQ because the guy didn't want to break up a good carb for that. Then after awhile it started to automatically idle up to 900-1000 and then the fan clutch came on. I checked the gauge and it was getting pretty hot so we shut it off. It may have been low on coolant. The expansion tank was empty and when we shut it off and I released the radiator cap valve it all went back in the tank. It didn't overfill or anything like that. Everything's new on this motor. Water pump, temp gauge, ported vacuum switch, thermostat, hoses, radiator, water valve, heater core. So it may not have all been full. Or do I need to run it with the cap off to bleed out the air? I guess it will get hot just idling but I guess that ported vacuum switch was working maybe that's why it idled up. Plus a valve cover kept dripping ever few mins right on the manifold and it was annoying. Do I need to put a fan in front of the radiator while adjusting the carb idling? What about that Water Wetter stuff from Redline, is that worth putting in? I sure don't want to melt the motor just adjusting the carb. It got pretty close to the H on the gauge. I can see this might be a problem on this motor. The thing sucks up coolant, the radiator is a little bigger than factory, like 27x1 1/2 core. I do have an original 28" shroud, new HD fan clutch, and 7 blade 20" fan.

Last edited by wh23g3g; 07/13/10 06:32 PM.