If it sit's more than a week you have to prime the carb with gas to start it, no amount of pumping the accelerator give's it enough gas to start,, act's like the bowl's are completely dry,,,won't go into 4 barrel mode when pedal is slammed to the floor, run's on 2 barrel only,,,idle adjustment screw's have no effect on idle quality,,,and it is just a scuzzy, scurvey, nasty looking mess,,I just want to make sure all is good and ready to go with the best economy that I can get from this barge.

Doesn't sound like 'Thermoquad only' carb-problems to me. More just a neglect of maintainance
The "no-4bbl" mode sounds like a simple linkage adjustment could fix easily, or maybe the sec. airvalve spring is adjusted too tightly. Does the kickdown function OK?
Idle screws, perhaps the fuel passages are blocked with dirt or something, or there's a vacuum problem somewhere.
The 'empty' carb priming is something more cars have and can be fixed by installing a simple fuelpump near the fueltank.
Adding a thicker heat insulating spacer under the carb could help aswell.

If you decide you want another carb, I would personally go with an Edelbrock carb.