Quote:

Engines are more efficent and have less wear if run at 185-195. Any lower and your not getting all it's got and are wearing parts faster.

I disagree...195 is getting close to max on a stock heat gauge. I run a 160 in My stroker and it runs around 180 on hot days. I will add that in My opinion, an engine is not gonna run fast at 150 to 160 but heat is an enemy. I've gotten far more miles out of a "cool" running motor than one that runs hot. If You're a part time "dragger" , fashion some cardboard over the rad to get the temp up if that's what you want. Thermostats were designed to get a car up to NORMAL operating temp quicker than no stat. This also gets heat to the heater core faster when the stat opens. I run two gauges for temp...stock in dash and a good aftermarket. They run about the same for temp readings. 195 is close to overheating or being out of normal operating range, on a stock in dash gauge. 180 is about mid range and that's where I like it. But...to each their own...My opinion

Last edited by terzmo; 06/28/10 01:14 PM.