Quote:

Quote:

I doubt that overtorquing or cracking is the issue with Teflon. I would suspect that it is MUCH more likely that ordinary teflon tends to break down when exposed to petroleum products. Anytime I have to deal with a fitting that's going to have any kind of petroleum product, liquid or vapor, I need to use a thread sealant (liquid or tape) that is rated accordingly. Nothing worse than a fire because a leak generated from sealant breaking down...or winding up with the junk in your carb or injectors...

I assumed (there's that word again!) that we were talking about the applicable Teflon sealing tape, not something you'd pick up at Home Depot. If you do a web search there are Teflon tapes formulated for fuel usage. Is it still a good idea? I don't know. I'm not a personal fan of tape. The tape gives you a false indication of how tight the fitting is. I've personally cracked fittings and some of my friends have, primarily in castings, from overtorquing the fitting. I like something like Loctite 567, a gasoline rated anaerobic sealant. But whatever floats your boat.

I'm a fuel dealer, when I get new fuel nozzles in the box the directions say Not to use teflon tape. The tape acts like a wick and causes the fitting to weep. Ever notice how the tape turns yellow after some use? Plus as we all know, if it is applied wrong it can get in places you don't want it.