Hi all:

I put together a 512 stroker a couple of years ago and have had continuous bearing failures which have me at a loss. Here's the story.
400 block, callies crank, eagle BBC 6.535 rods, 13.5 compression, .700 lift roller cam, milodon pan and swinging pickup with milodon pump cover, melling HV oil pump. Put it together in 2008 and made 4 passes on it and it put number 6 rod out the side of the block. There wasn't much left to look at but 5/6 journal was blackened. After much review, i figured it was an oil leak out of the lifter bores. So i had the crank welded bushed the lifter bores in the replacement block, new rods and pistons and tried it again. By now its 2009. Ran if in the garage for a total of about 20 minutes and the bearings (especially 5/6) look terrible. Main bearings look good enough to use again, although i wont. Lots of scratches and worn down to the copper. Out it comes again. I figured that it was running out of oil at the journal, so I opened up the feed holes to the mains, put restrictors into the cam holes, and added a second feed to oil galley with a braided steel hose (old school, but I am desparate at this point). I replaced the swinging pick up and pan with a static pick up version and changed all the hoses as well as the remote filter. I crack check the crank and see that the small pits coming out, looks like the weld is coming apart, so order up a new crank. Just got it all together again and the ran it for approx 10 minutes (warm up, set valve, timing etc) and the bearings look like the picture. The clearance on the rods was between 0.0015 to 0.002. I had about 60 psi oil pressure at idle hot, about 70 cold.
So far the only part i haven't replaced is the oil pump cover, but it looks fine, and i don't like just changing parts unless i can see a problem. Anyone have any ideas? I am running out of ideas, patience and $.

Thanks!
Tony

6010612-021.JPG (125 downloads)