OK, I bought the 64 Valiant and am seriously looking into building a 318/390 Stroker 4-Speed Combo for it. In trying to keep this build as economical as possible I took my J-Heads 2.02/1.60 Heavily Ported heads to a local machinist to inspect, this is what I have according to him:

1. They cleaned up well and no cracks found.

2. He was very impressed with the previous porting job, one of the best on this type of head that he's seen and should flow well enough to easily support the 500hp target of this combo.

3. They do have not have hardened seats.

4. Will need to be milled approx. 0.20 on the deck and intake face to clean up.

5. Will need valves, bronze valve guides and complete valve gear....for max 600" Lift. (Hydraulic Flat Tappet)

The price he quoted for the valve gear seemed to be in line, but the machine-work seemed extremely excessive to me......

Not having had anything done like this in many years.....what are your thoughts as to a $$$$$$$ dollar figure for this work....????????

He didn't include hardened seats installed due to us both agreeing it wouldn't be needed for a limited use combo...???????

I know this is kinda long, but would sure appreciate the input....please, don't flood this thread with just by some aluminum heads, I can figure that part out myself after getting an idea on the cost of doing these heads

Rickster