Quote:

well, anyone that follows the hemi posts on here are most likely aware that torkrules is the latest victim of the seat falling out of a mp aluminum hemi head. my hope goes out to john that his luck on his project will change for the better! my ? then is being that john is not the 1st on here to have this happen, is there anyone who has put 10,000 miles on there aluminum headed hemi and not had problems? i'm wondering out loud if we are all going to experience this or did some good 1's get out the door and how can you tell what you have, good or bad. thanks dave

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the good wishes. FWIW, I had about 4000 miles on these heads. When I had the guides re-done about 2 years ago I asked Tim Banning about the rumors. His point of view was that they usually fall out right away (on the dyno). If they don't, the chances of them falling out decreases. I for one and I think a couple of others had seats drop around the 3000-5000 mile mark.

He said that all he could really do is check to see if they were loose when he re-cut the seats. There's no real fool proof way to detect if there's a problem. The next best thing to do is remove all of the seats and install new oversized ones, but I think the expense would be close to a new set of heads.

I sincerely hope that you or anyone else using these heads got a good set and never have trouble with them. I did not mean to be a fear monger, but in good conscience I could not keep this quiet in the hopes of prevented anyone else from having the grief I have experienced.

I really was planning to put the engine back in this weekend and enjoy some of this nice weather.