Planning priming/painting a car in the next few months and need some help choosing materials and amounts. I've sprayed one car already, however it was with rust primer and rust paint(tremclad/rustoleum). Came out pretty good for a beater and it really helped to give me a feel for doing the body work and spraying. Now ready to try one the right way. I've actually got a really good dupont brand body/paint manual, but it's from the late 80's so there's not really any info on modern urethanes.

Not going for a show car, car will be daily driven, but I still want it to come out decent. My plan thus far is to sand the car down, not entirely to bare metal but to the factory finish with some bare metal areas, then do my sheet metal work. Then hit bare metal areas with either the acid wash or etching primer. Then coat the whole car in epoxy primer, apply and work any filler as needed, then spot topcoat the filler with a coat of the epoxy primer. Then several coats of 2k urethane surfacer, blocking and reapplying until I'm satisfied with the finish. Then move along to a urethane topcoat.

Does this seem like an appropriate sequence and selection of materials? Can I apply a urethane based topcoat directly over the urethane 2k surfacer or does it need to be sealed first? I'm new to this and don't have anyone to show me this stuff, but I've been doing a lot of reading and checking out the ppg omni p-sheets. And believe I do have a suitable hvlp gun(devilbiss finishline series), air supply and booth setup to do this at least half-way decent.

Color will be a regular non-metallic. But later on down the road I would like to do a metallic on a different car. I was thinking an acrylic urethane single stage would likely be the easiest for a newbie like me to do, especially the first time? Or in the end is a base/clear going to be easier?

Will be doing a b-body car, engine bay, door jams, trunk and the body. How many gallons of primer, paint, surfacer(before mixing with activator, reducer, etc) do you think will I need?

Like I said I'm pretty new to this stuff so please correct me on whatever I've got wrong.